Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC and MYLR vs MYP Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So has there been conclusive evidence that the MYP's range being less than the MYLR is simply due to bigger wheels and stickier tires? I ordered the MYLR just for the sake of those extra 30 miles of range, if we ever needed it. After actually using the car, the range doesn't seem to really be a factor other than going on long road trips. For daily use it will never not be enough.
That's the general thinking. I've not seen a conclusive test. That would be a great Youtube video to put Gemini wheels on both and test.

That's the general thinking. I've not seen a conclusive test. That would be a great Youtube video to put Gemini wheels on both and test.
Believe there are several videos and posts showing the results. While not the same, very close. As soon as I reduced my MYP tires down in size to 19-20 And made that setting change in the onscreen service menu all the range numbers increase. With 19 or 20” tires in chill mode the MYP is virtually the same except that it has that lion in a box when you wish to let it out. Still say especially by the numbers the MYP is the best value choice.

Reactions: 455dan and bigboi
I won't call it a supercar, it def has off the line supercar acceleration! Overall its just an awesome car, for under 60k there isn't another vehicle that I can haul the family in with luggage, or fill it up w/ 20 bags of mulch that is this fun to drive w/ the power it has.
It’s phenomenal at a light it can troll a Urus, AMG, M3/M4/M5/M6, C7, Macan, Aston Martin and 100k cars and SUV with just a stomp while they have to fumble to hit the sports mode buttons, spool turbo, hit the launch switch, pray for traction and hope the sea level is just right as they read in an article adult jerk off car magazines like Road and Buttcrack or Car and Dummie. Then the next light I’ll switch to FSD like nothing happened.

Believe there are several videos and posts showing the results. While not the same, very close. As soon as I reduced my MYP tires down in size to 19-20 And made that setting change in the onscreen service menu all the range numbers increase. With 19 or 20” tires in chill mode the MYP is virtually the same except that it has that lion in a box when you wish to let it out. Still say especially by the numbers the MYP is the best value choice.
Got a link?

Okay all ☺️- is there a list of acronyms for those new to owning a Tesla, as well as this community, page? I am so lost!

I picked up my '23 Model 3 Long Range AWD on 12/31/2023 (yes it was a bit like shopping a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale) and to be transparent I still know very little about my Tesla other than basics but knew I wanted to switch to a reputable EV, plus go faster sometimes! Who doesn't love fast cars!? Anyways - trying to keep up and learn from all these great threads. Anyone care to give a response so I can understand:

MY = ?
MYP = something to do with Performance
MYLR = " " Long Range

Thanks and enjoy the weekend!

Okay all ☺️- is there a list of acronyms for those new to owning a Tesla, as well as this community, page? I am so lost!

I picked up my '23 Model 3 Long Range AWD on 12/31/2023 (yes it was a bit like shopping a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale) and to be transparent I still know very little about my Tesla other than basics but knew I wanted to switch to a reputable EV, plus go faster sometimes! Who doesn't love fast cars!? Anyways - trying to keep up and learn from all these great threads. Anyone care to give a response so I can understand:

MY = ?
MYP = something to do with Performance
MYLR = " " Long Range

Thanks and enjoy the weekend!
Model Y :)

I've used 19 Geminis on 2020 MYP and 2021 MYLR on the same commute in SoCal, shows almost the similar Wh/mile.

See this post back when:

I'm doing the same when I get back in another MYP.

2020 MYP with 19 Geminis:
20211125_075425.jpg

VS:

2021 MYLR7 with 19 Geminis:
20220415_091228.jpg

Attachments

• 20220415_091252.jpg
    20220415_091252.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: bigboi
I test drove a 2023 MYP, was a lot smoother than my 21’ Acura RDX Aspec SHAWD. The Acura is very stiff, even with 20” rims and 255/45 high profile stock tires. Heard people complain about the “booming noise” from the rear - that typical with all suv‘s that don’t have sepa trucks. The acceleration just blows the doors off a similar ICE suv.
So has there been conclusive evidence that the MYP's range being less than the MYLR is simply due to bigger wheels and stickier tires? I ordered the MYLR just for the sake of those extra 30 miles of range, if we ever needed it. After actually using the car, the range doesn't seem to really be a factor other than going on long road trips. For daily use it will never not be enough.
I have a 23 MYP, after test driving it vs the MYLR I felt they shouldn’t even sell the the lr. The P was just way better in every area I think it was $3500 more when I ordered it. the speed difference is huge, 0-60 3.5 is low end supercar acceleration. The ride is slightly stiffer but it handles way better around curves. Both cars are great but if the extra $$ isn’t an issue it’s a no brainer to get the performance model. I drive it daily and it’s not an issue. My wife thinks it’s to quick so her profile is in chill and comfort mode.
Right now at $53.9k with $7.5k tax cred getting MYP is no brainer… People worry about tires on MYP being expensive and not lasting as long and you cannot rotate them due to staggered set up. When your MYP tires get worn out, you can get a relatively new used 19” gemini set for $1500 which is still cheaper than replacing OEM tires on MYP

It’s phenomenal at a light it can troll a Urus, AMG, M3/M4/M5/M6, C7, Macan, Aston Martin and 100k cars and SUV with just a stomp while they have to fumble to hit the sports mode buttons, spool turbo, hit the launch switch, pray for traction and hope the sea level is just right as they read in an article adult jerk off car magazines like Road and Buttcrack or Car and Dummie. Then the next light I’ll switch to FSD like nothing happened.
I believe most EVs can destroy any ICE car from a dig at the light from 0-30 MPH. A Chevy Bolt can probably achieve those results too but I would take a performance ICE car any day over any EV for driving pleasure. The lack of sound and the theatrics that come along with all the downshift blips, crackles and pops really elevate my sensory to elevate driving excitement levels. As an enthusiast I hope ICE cars can live on in the performance divisions of every brand. I hope all ”boring” and economy cars are electrified so no one has to endure 0-60 in 10 seconds ever again. Also the lack of a drony 4 cylinder is welcome too. Once again, the MYP is a phenomenal all rounder daily driver but personally I can‘t have it as my only car. I would never take it on canyon runs or do any real spirited driving with it. Just my opinion.

Right now at $53.9k with $7.5k tax cred getting MYP is no brainer… People worry about tires on MYP being expensive and not lasting as long and you cannot rotate them due to staggered set up. When your MYP tires get worn out, you can get a relatively new used 19” gemini set for $1500 which is still cheaper than replacing OEM tires on MYP
I think people like the 21s on the MYP. If you want people to know you have an MYP that’s a tell tale sign. The 19s will hide those big red calipers if you leave the aero covers on haha. Obviously if you’re really chasing for maximum range and efficiency you can probably find a good amount of people willing to swap 19s with your 21s

I think people like the 21s on the MYP. If you want people to know you have an MYP that’s a tell tale sign. The 19s will hide those big red calipers if you leave the aero covers on haha. Obviously if you’re really chasing for maximum range and efficiency you can probably find a good amount of people willing to swap 19s with your 21s
Then why buy the MYP or and performance trim? 21" tires are a little more expensive than 19" or 20" - but not that much to make a difference. Wearing tires out - means you and enjoying and having fun.

Biggest negative to 21" wheels is the summer performance tires if you live in states that get freezing temps, snow and ice.

If you are chasing maximum efficiency - get the standard model Y, 19" wheels and maybe Tesla will sell a battery upgrade to unlock some more range.

Once again, the MYP is a phenomenal all rounder daily driver but personally I can‘t have it as my only car. I would never take it on canyon runs or do any real spirited driving with it. Just my opinion.
Both handle pretty similar. The M3P reminds me of my old JCW Mini coupe - low to the ground and handles like a go-cart! The Model YP from my test drive handles great - just feel it lean a little bit more due to the higher seat height (however - much better than my 21' Acura RDX Aspec SHawd by a long shot - that handles like a truck).

I prefer 2-wheels for canyon and spirited driving! Most EV's are just too heavy to get the feedback for canyon carving IMO.

I believe most EVs can destroy any ICE car from a dig at the light from 0-30 MPH. A Chevy Bolt can probably achieve those results too but I would take a performance ICE car any day over any EV for driving pleasure. The lack of sound and the theatrics that come along with all the downshift blips, crackles and pops really elevate my sensory to elevate driving excitement levels. As an enthusiast I hope ICE cars can live on in the performance divisions of every brand. I hope all ”boring” and economy cars are electrified so no one has to endure 0-60 in 10 seconds ever again. Also the lack of a drony 4 cylinder is welcome too. Once again, the MYP is a phenomenal all rounder daily driver but personally I can‘t have it as my only car. I would never take it on canyon runs or do any real spirited driving with it. Just my opinion.
I wouldn't assume that. Bolt has 200 hp, ID.4 RWD has 201. MYLR has something like 385. Big difference.

A little background for context, we have a new MYLR W/W/19 that we picked up 3 weeks ago.

Dropped off the car this morning, surprised they were open on Sundays let alone on Easter, to have them fix a handful of issues found during delivery day. This was the SC on Kearny Mesa in San Diego. No other customer was there during drop off. SA was very friendly and walked over all concerns I had and noted them. I was given an MYP as a loaner. Car was fixed same day and I picked it up right before they closed. Whole process was very smooth and easy. The app is great to track status of all repairs and the technician notes are extremely helpful. Fortunately all the issue I found were resolved, as I had anticipated. I had a few questions so I messaged them through the app and got responses within minutes. So far very happy with the purchase of the MYLR so far. Also very happy with Tesla SC. This is by far better than any traditional dealership service experience. I see a lot of people complain about Tesla service but hopefully majority of you are pleased.

Now onto the MYP I was given as a loaner. This was a 2020 or 2021 model (still had old center console). Car overall looked really beat up. Numerous scratches and dents all over the paint and plastic trims. All 4 wheels were curbed or scratched. Felt like a car with 80k miles but I checked the odo and only showed 25k miles.

Cons:
- Immediately out of the parked lot you can feel the suspension significantly stiffer than the comfort suspension on the MYLR. Ride height is lower but not too noticeable. Ride difference is comparable to GLC 300 to GLC 43 or BMW X3 30i to X3 M40i. MYP is a little crashy over pothole and bumps. If you’re used to performance oriented cars this IMO is on the more comfy side
- This particular loaner had a ton of rattles throughout the cabin. Cabin noise at freeway speeds is also louder then. Overall our new MYLR just feels so much more put together and this one felt loose. I hope our car doesn’t start to break down like this one did
- Sunroof felt much brighter and let in more heat on the MYP. Did they change the sunroof at some point? I felt in our new car it was more tinted and barely let in any heat

Pro:
- That acceleration is real nice. Loaner was limited to 85 MPH and I got there almost too quick. I don’t miss it though. My wife will be driving the car majority of time and when we do drive together I never get on it with her in the car. So that WOT will probably happen twice a year, if that.

Anyways, happy Easter to all. Thought I would leave some impressions for people debating between MYP vs MYLR. I’m glad we stuck with the MYLR. The sacrifices we would’ve had to make for the quicker acceleration and price doesn’t feel worth it. View attachment 930587
I test drove 2023 LR with 20” wheels and MYP, we found the MYP too harsh, cabin was 5DB louder on average (67DB LR, 72 in MYP) on a rough highway. Big bumps were also louder.

Not unexpected but had to feel it for myself before committing one way or the other. MYP looks cooler and is faster for sure.

Anyone tolerant to a performance BMW will not find MYP any worse than they are used to.

I went to GMR today on FSD. 😉

I test drove 2023 LR with 20” wheels and MYP, we found the MYP too harsh, cabin was 5DB louder on average (67DB LR, 72 in MYP) on a rough highway. Big bumps were also louder.

Not unexpected but had to feel it for myself before committing one way or the other. MYP looks cooler and is faster for sure.

Anyone tolerant to a performance BMW will not find MYP any worse than they are used to.
I had an X3 and was going to get X6M but glad I didn’t. 😂

I have had my MYP for almost a year and the ride can be rough on bad roads but also great on smooth roads (rarity in NE). My plan when it is time to buy new rubber will be to by a square set of TSF or TS5 20” wheels and tires from TSportline for just a tiny bit more than just the rubber on the staggered 21”s.