Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says New Roadster is Fastest Production Car Ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After unveiling the Tesla Semi, CEO Elon Musk surprised the crowd with a look at the fastest production car ever made – the second generation Roadster.

Musk said the base model of the sports car will hit 60 mph in 1.9 seconds, making it the first production vehicle to clock in at under two seconds. The car will go 0 to 100 mph in 4.2 seconds and can make a pass on the quarter mile in 8.9 seconds. Musk declined to offer the top speed for the car, but said it’s greater than 250 mph.

With a 200 kwh battery pack, the new Roadster has a 620-mile range per charge, Musk said. The all-wheel-drive vehicle has three motors, one in the front and two in the rear.

“The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars,” Musk said.

The new 2 by 2 four-seater Roadster is slated for production in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really hard to decide. the p100d is around 130k and offers 0-60 in about 2.4 seconds and has one more seat than the roadster, but the roadster does it slightly faster and has much better range, but idk about paying 70k more.

If you are choosing between those 2 and you already have a daily driver, I’d go roadster.

But all jokes aside, the P100DL is still one of, if not the best all around car you can buy. Hella quick when you need it, can make runs to Home Depot, efficient, and can take the in laws comfortably to dinner. The roadster would be an extra car for me, I am keeping my P100D!

It's really hard to decide. the p100d is around 130k and offers 0-60 in about 2.4 seconds and has one more seat than the roadster, but the roadster does it slightly faster and has much better range, but idk about paying 70k more.
But now it's a certainty that they will bring out a larger pack for S/X in the next 3 years. How can they not? The Roadster is a smaller car w/ double the battery? The larger pack will likely increase performance of the S/X as well. So you can't compare today's S/X with tomorrow's Roadster.

But now it's a certainty that they will bring out a larger pack for S/X in the next 3 years. How can they not? The Roadster is a smaller car w/ double the battery? The larger pack will likely increase performance of the S/X as well. So you can't compare today's S/X with tomorrow's Roadster.
Tesla might decide to hit price points with the Model S. If a 130 kWh pack is more R&D cost than can be recouped from anticipated orders, they would rationally avoid that model.

I doubt it, but you asked how it could happen.

This is pretty much exactly what I expected—and feared—from the new generation Roadster. It's a "hypercar" with stratospheric performance and (presumably) priced to match. I'll never be able to afford one, and if I could I'd probably wreck it before I got home. I guess I'll have to try and keep my 2010 Roadster going until Mazda finally wake up and build an electric Miata.
OH, I love me some Miata now..

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Not sure if it has been commented on or not, but this roadster is faster than a current F1 car 0 -100KPH (0-60 MPH) For me this is really pretty staggering...1000 km range - complete game changer, bound to give Porsche and Ferrari executives sleepless nights...

The wikipedia article on the $2 - $3M Veyron had this tidbit:

A set of tyres costs $25k, while installation is another $70k and can only be performed by one place in France.
I guess it would be worth it ... except the Bugatti gets smoked by the $200k Roadster.

There is just no two ways about it, the supercar world has been tossed on its head.

Well, if you want your Roadster to go 250+ miles, tires won't be cheap either. No matter if it's electric, or petrol, high speed road legal tires are expensive. Todays hypercars, as well as the Roadster concept use Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, which are a lot cheaper than the original Veyron tires, but you won't be able to install them yourself. At 250 mph the centrifugal forces are extreme, so the tires will have to be perfectly balanced.

And those tires won't last pretty long either, especially if you drive it like it's supposed to be driven. So while the initial cost of the Roadster is comparably cheap and you won't need any gas, everything else, from tires, to service, to insurance will be expensive.

One question: how do they push it to do ground to make such acceleration possible ?
This is supposed to be beyond limits of frictional physics without some serious down-force, but I do not see Formula1 type wings to push it to the ground. Did they use some sticky tires to increase friction ?
It's just the tesla elect motors...they are so efficient in they way the power to the ground gets distributed vs an ICE. ICE horsepower is like a bull in a china shop compared to high efficiency electric powered motors. Even on razor blade tires (exaggerating), it would still hold well.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
Im surprised that no one is really mentioning this, but there is a gap in the specs.

The stats are impressive but in this category of car, its a huge gap to not have a Nuremberg time. This is just doubling down on what Tesla is already good at...acceleration. Sustainable performance will be the true measure of this car and Nuremberg is the world standard that all of these cars are judged.

Sustainable performance will be the true measure of this car
"True" is in the eyes of the beholder. Or the person moving the goalposts. Or the specific use(s) the car is bought for.

One thing is for sure though, at least in the US: people yap about 0-60 a WHOLE lot more than sustained maximum speed. And for good reason, I think. Unlimited speed driving is not part of our experience outside of a test track, but stomping on the go pedal on a steep incline is.

P.s., if you are going to name drop, get the name right: Nürburgring. It helps with credibility

Im surprised that no one is really mentioning this, but there is a gap in the specs.
It may not have been mentioned in this particular thread, but it has been discussed many many times on TMC how all Tesla models to date, including the original Roadster, are not suitable as track cars because they overheat. Nor are they set up for racing or track use. They weren’t designed for that. This is well known.

As to Nürburgring times, that matters to some people, but to the vast majority of car buyers it means nothing. They don’t even know where the Nürburgring is located. And that’s fine. It’s a meaningless metric when it comes to designing a great car for public roads.

Reactions: bhzmark
It may not have been mentioned in this particular thread, but it has been discussed many many times on TMC how all Tesla models to date, including the original Roadster, are not suitable as track cars because they overheat. Nor are they set up for racing or track use. They weren’t designed for that. This is well known.

As to Nürburgring times, that matters to some people, but to the vast majority of car buyers it means nothing. They don’t even know where the Nürburgring is located. And that’s fine. It’s a meaningless metric when it comes to designing a great car for public roads.
Hold on, a car that goes to 250+ mph, very low CG, and range of 600 miles, i'm sure that the new roadster is 'ring ready. Clearly this car was not designed for public roads, since no one can really go 250 mph...