Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Satellite Navigation Map View

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, still don't have our vehicle yet so can't experiment. I've searched everywhere for this and can't find a definitive answer. On our current vehicle, I can set the map display to a (fake) 3D mode. It's not actual 3D but it gives that impression. (see attached image below)

Every image I see of the Tesla navigation maps is in 'plan' view (ie, from directly overhead) and I'm wondering if there's a setting that can show maps in 'pretend' 3D which is my preference.

Attachments

• TL105007.jpg
    TL105007.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 279
Reporting that the M3 definitely does do the 3D thing. Especially when navigating around intersections. In addition, one gets one's choice of satellite or traffic views.

Getting the traffic patterns (red for plugged up, etc.) does require the premium connectivity package. But I think that newbies might get that for a year, anyway. In any case, navigation does pay attention to traffic, whether or not it's visible on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Reporting that the M3 definitely does do the 3D thing. Especially when navigating around intersections. In addition, one gets one's choice of satellite or traffic views.

Getting the traffic patterns (red for plugged up, etc.) does require the premium connectivity package. But I think that newbies might get that for a year, anyway. In any case, navigation does pay attention to traffic, whether or not it's visible on the screen.
Thanks mate, no the premium connectivity is only for 30 days after purchase but for less than AUD$10 per month I'll continue with it. And I'm happy to hear that a 3D mode exists on 3 and Y. Thanks.

Other than if using maps on a phone or tablet and you zoom your current location stays in the centre. We lost that functionality when the zoom buttons were removed

There is a bit of an art to it, but in my experience, if you zoom in using the pinch gesture, and don’t inadvertently shift the map centre, map centre tracking is maintained. If you shift the map centre doing this, then the map will no longer track with position.

There is a bit of an art to it, but in my experience, if you zoom in using the pinch gesture, and don’t inadvertently shift the map centre, map centre tracking is maintained. If you shift the map centre doing this, then the map will no longer track with position.
Just tried that but not shifting the map Is near impossible, especially when driving which is usually when I need to zoom. What did work however was the voice command “zoom map in”. It recorded it as “dome map in” but zoomed the map in anyway, where it stayed. ”Zoom map out” also works and sticks. I couldn’t work out how americans pronounce ‘zoom’

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Just tried that but not shifting the map Is near impossible, especially when driving which is usually when I need to zoom. What did work however was the voice command “zoom map in”. It recorded it as “dome map in” but zoomed the map in anyway, where it stayed. ”Zoom map out” also works and sticks. I couldn’t work out how americans pronounce ‘zoom’

I’ll have to check this when I next drive, but my recollection is if your pinch has shifted the map center (even slightly) the map presentation icon at the top left (the one that shows North is up, or your Direction is up, or show Route) becomes grayed out. If you tap that greyed-out icon, it reverts to centre map tracking, I think retaining the new zoom level.

Voice command is another way 😄