Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S Alignment Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear toe is adjustable. I own that alignment machine the Hunter Elite. Your car is pulling because the front Caster is incorrect. There cannot be more than a .5 degree difference in caster from left to right. Also most roads are crowned in the center to allow rain to run off. The correct thing to do for this car to drive on rails is to make the left side around .3 less than the right side. This will make it drive straight. The other problem you are going to have is that right rear tire will be chewed off of the car. Also that thrust angle is way off this will cause the car to dogleg. You really need to take it back and get it fixed correctly. The camber is a non issue and it is in spec.
duud.. youre in kennesaw.. can i put my P90 on your machine?... mine pulls right a little too

I got new tires at Big O yesterday and they told me the same thing, the rear toe is not adjustable. If it is, how is it done? Is it something I could show them? Also, where are the specs for the 2017 S alignment values found?

If the rear wheel is removed you can see the toe link and it's pretty obvious how it adjusts. The inner mount has eccentric washers and it's adjusted by turning the bolt before tightening the nut to hold it in place. Once they have seen how it works it can be adjusted with the wheel on from underneath.

Alignment specs can be found in the back of the owner's manual.

For those trying to diagnose weird steering stuff, I found the PDF below to be extremely helpful. It describes each steering measurement, and what can happen when it's off in either direction and between sides of the car.

http://www.valleyofhastings.com/WheelAlignment2.pdf

The rear toe is adjustable. I own that alignment machine the Hunter Elite. Your car is pulling because the front Caster is incorrect. There cannot be more than a .5 degree difference in caster from left to right. Also most roads are crowned in the center to allow rain to run off. The correct thing to do for this car to drive on rails is to make the left side around .3 less than the right side. This will make it drive straight. The other problem you are going to have is that right rear tire will be chewed off of the car. Also that thrust angle is way off this will cause the car to dogleg. You really need to take it back and get it fixed correctly. The camber is a non issue and it is in spec.

My castor is L: 4.65 R: 5.40 as set by the Tesla Service Center when they did my alignment. Obviously that's WAY off from a .3 difference.

I've found my car almost feels like it has a dead spot in the middle of the steering, where I have to make a ton of micro corrections to keep it going straight, and Autopilot feels like it's weaving a bit trying to stay centered. I do get a pull to the left on the freeway.

Based on your experience, could the 0.75 degree difference in caster be causing that? Should I be closer to 4L/4.3R? Would that push the wheel farther forward, or farther back in the wheel well?

Curious to hear your feedback on my toe: My rear toe is 1.7/1.5, and my front toe is 0.5/0.5...I know the factory spec calls for -0.6 front, but it seemed like front toe out would cause weaving and instability under heavy acceleration.

Last edited: