Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ruined the Grande Prix for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to love to attend the St. Pete Grande Prix (this weekend) and marvel at those super-complex Indy Car engines and watch their super acceleration.

Now, an off-the-showroom floor, stock Tesla out accelerates virtually all Indy cars (and also Formula 1 cars). And the elegant simplicity of the Tesla electric motors places the gas guzzler engines in the realm of the steam engines of yesteryear. One goes to museums to see those, not race tracks.

The thing about paradigm shifting events is that the world never looks - or sounds - quite the same afterwards.

My first post back in 2014 ("Car market literally down to 2 cars today") echoed similar sentiments, though from a car buying, not racing viewing point of view.

I guess a couple of years later the hubris has settled a little and I'm not as anti-ICE as I initially was, but I'm guessing there still won't be any ICE or ICE hybrids in my future anymore. I'm okay with other alternative fuel ideas, but sceptical if any will mature anymore.

The high pitched sound of a Tesla accelerating is like a jet accelerating for takeoff, without the combustion background noise of course.

And now the sound that I used to find thrilling is super annoying!
This is astonishing to me. I spent decades loving and buying exotics powered by a variety of wonderful sounds. I have listed them a few times here. Now i really cannot stand the sound of an ICE, much less the heat emanating from them. I really did not think that would happen. Now I am actually offended by ICE.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
This is astonishing to me. I spent decades loving and buying exotics powered by a variety of wonderful sounds. I have listed them a few times here. Now i really cannot stand the sound of an ICE, much less the heat emanating from them. I really did not think that would happen. Now I am actually offended by ICE.

Interesting comments. I use to watch the F1 races on tv back in the late 80s-early 90s and loved the excitement of the track. Those days of Senna and Prost were some of the best. Loved the sound and speed of the cars and challenges of the road courses. Went to a couple of Indy races around that time frame and can remember the sounds and smells from the track. Definitely added to the excitement. Somehow I wonder though if it would still be as exciting sensory wise if they had all been running Tesla or Evs. Haven't followed the Formula E events. Didn't even know there was such a thing. Anyone know if they air these on tv or do you have to catch them on the internet these days?

Last edited:
Interesting comments. I use to watch the F1 races on tv back in the late 80s-early 90s and loved the excitement of the track. Those days of Senna and Prost were some of the best. Loved the sound and speed of the cars and challenges of the road courses. Went to a couple of Indy races around that time frame and can remember the sounds and smells from the track. Definitely added to the excitement. Somehow I wonder though if it would still be as exciting sensory wise if they had all been running Tesla or Evs. Haven't followed the Formula E events. Didn't even know there was such a thing. Anyone know if they air these on tv or do you have to catch them on the internet these days?
Yes, they do air the E races on tv. I have seen a few. And they drive Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset