Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a 2023 Model 3 LR in November of 2022 (and took delivery in November) and specifically asked the sales person if the 2023 had exactly the same features as the 2022s to which he said yes.…we didn’t realise that the 2023s didn’t contain ultrasonic sensors until after we took delivery and realised park assist was missing. We later learned the news that the 2023s (which don’t contain physical sensors) would receive a Teslavision Update to replicate park assist functions. Irrespective of whether it will work correctly, no one at Tesla can identify if/when it will be launched. Anyone have insight ?
No. To put it into perspective, Tesla promised Robotaxi service would be functional by January 2020, the Cybertruck ready by 2021, full self driving from LA to NYC with no human intervention, by 2019, and carbon ceramic brake upgrade kit for the Plaid by June 2022. None of that materialized.

Oh, and the Plaid shows on Teslas website right now as having 200mph top speed. (No production plaid sold has ever gone close to that speed)

Detect a pattern? Good luck.

No. To put it into perspective, Tesla promised Robotaxi service would be functional by January 2020, the Cybertruck ready by 2021, full self driving from LA to NYC with no human intervention, by 2019, and carbon ceramic brake upgrade kit for the Plaid by June 2022. None of that materialized.

Oh, and the Plaid shows on Teslas website right now as having 200mph top speed. (No production plaid sold has ever gone close to that speed)

Detect a pattern? Good luck.
Stop quoting yourself to end run the people who are blocking you. Thanks.

Reactions: Yelobird
Purchased a 2023 Model 3 LR in November of 2022 (and took delivery in November) and specifically asked the sales person if the 2023 had exactly the same features as the 2022s to which he said yes.…we didn’t realise that the 2023s didn’t contain ultrasonic sensors until after we took delivery and realised park assist was missing. We later learned the news that the 2023s (which don’t contain physical sensors) would receive a Teslavision Update to replicate park assist functions. Irrespective of whether it will work correctly, no one at Tesla can identify if/when it will be launched. Anyone have insight ?

I own Tesla stock and I would say your guess is as good as mine. In my my professional opinion I think Tesla hides supply chain or profitability problems behind press releases. Removing USS? We're so good we don't need them, but we can't release the software showing how good we are.

Removing radar? We don't need it, but we're adding high definition radar and please regulators don't reveal our strategy to the market.

The more people realize that Tesla is basically lying to them the better, because it's only when Tesla is called out will they stop doing this stuff. They know what they're doing and hope that everyone doesn't care.

I don’t know where you live and where you drive but it is very rare to have the rear view camera occluded.
In the coastal area of Norway this is more the standard 8 months of the year and this is not WHEN it is raining but after driving on wet roads.

1673172182435.png

Pfft, that's nothing, take a look at what my camera looked like after a motorway (highway) drive in winter

I’m sure Tesla Vision will be able to adjust distance by the the angle of the snowflake approach x (melting rate) ^(wind speed)/e^wheel tread depth. Much more accurate than USS!
🙃

USS operate in a wide envelope of conditions and are accurate in the distance they report but the information they provide is really pretty terrible.

‘There is an object (I have no idea what it is BTW) n cms from this point on the car, somewhere within a ~60 degree arc of that point (sorry, can’t be any more precise). Oh, and if there’s something closer to the car but higher than ~60cms or lower than 12 then I can’t see it but I will confidently tell you the space is empty. Also, I have no idea what potholes are and I’m scared of deep puddles, so let’s hope those don’t come up.’

The adoration shown for this pretty primitive technology on here is mind blowing. There is absolutely a world of opportunity for a vision based alternative to be better.

I’m surprised there isn’t a thread complaining because there’s no option to start the car with a crank handle at the front.

The adoration shown for this pretty primitive technology on here is mind blowing.
Er, because they work? And when you have them, you have car features that are disabled if you don’t?
There is absolutely a world of opportunity for a vision based alternative to be better.
Absolutely. And currently it is just that: opportunity. USS are reality, or were anyway.
I’m surprised there isn’t a thread complaining because there’s no option to start the car with a crank handle at the front.
Cranks were replaced by alternate technologies that actually work (engine is started). Had they been removed before other starting systems were available, I believe the hew and cry would be quite loud even without online fora existing at the time. Unlike cranks, USS have not yet been replaced, just removed.

USS do not do many things, nor are they tasked to do so. Maybe TV is the future solution, if and when it occurs, I hope so for all new owners having cars without USS.

The adoration shown for this pretty primitive technology on here is mind blowing. There is absolutely a world of opportunity for a vision based alternative to be better.
Great. Then provide that better opportunity BEFORE you take away what actually works today. That way you don’t have to eventually backtrack and add radar back and offer round steering wheels because the yoke wasn’t as practical as you claimed

Attachments

• A1654A53-4C05-4805-BE55-D8990A8E40EA.jpeg
    A1654A53-4C05-4805-BE55-D8990A8E40EA.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 807741E3-B1A2-474A-BC33-61B3C302B4E4.jpeg
    807741E3-B1A2-474A-BC33-61B3C302B4E4.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 68
Nobody, in the eleventy billion posts on this subject in the last couple of months has ever disputed that the way Tesla has handled this at a customer service level has been poor.

That’s not the same thing as repeatedly cranking out post after post of slightly obscured camera views and bleating about how ‘SEEea it can’t never works!’ over and over. So tedious to read, and so utterly ignorant of the publicly available and easily consumable information about how the occupancy based stuff works.

3 of my vehicles do not have US, and two of them have (backup) crank starters. :D
I manage to parallel park them all when needed and drive them into tight garage spaces.

I also believe that ON will likely be a pretty good if not excellent replacement technology. US misses a lot (like curbs) that you would like to be able see.

That said, I have sympathy for the people who are disappointed that ON hasn't rolled out yet.

3 of my vehicles do not have US, and two of them have (backup) crank starters. :D
I manage to parallel park them all when needed and drive them into tight garage spaces.

I also believe that ON will likely be a pretty good if not excellent replacement technology. US misses a lot (like curbs) that you would like to be able see.

That said, I have sympathy for the people who are disappointed that ON hasn't rolled out yet.
ON?

Occupancy network. Some AI lingo...I I think it means the car will "remember" what it saw with the cameras, which would allow it to know what's in the immediate vicinity without the US sensors. There are obvious problems with this technique, like if something in the environment changes after the cameras lose sight of the space in front of the bumper. Maybe there are advantages too...the one I'm aware of is that it saves Tesla money in installing USS in their cars.

Occupancy network. Some AI lingo...I I think it means the car will "remember" what it saw with the cameras, which would allow it to know what's in the immediate vicinity without the US sensors. There are obvious problems with this technique, like if something in the environment changes after the cameras lose sight of the space in front of the bumper. Maybe there are advantages too...the one I'm aware of is that it saves Tesla money in installing USS in their cars.
Correct. Saves a total of $114 per vehicle. Which I’m sure, customers would have preferred to simply…pay

There's also the advantage that the side cameras can fill in the occupancy network if the rear camera has crud on it.