Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would think insurance on a robotaxi would be quite expensive.

And if an accident were to occur, three months or more of downtime waiting for parts?

Then there is the concern of vandalism by anti-EV types. Drunks puking or worse requiring cleanup before returning to service. People trying to take over and steal the car to joyride and just General Mayhem for kicks.

I don’t think individually-owned robotaxis will be a thing. Maybe a large fleet owned by Tesla or Cruise, Waymo, etc.
Perhaps Turo users can share some experiences. They have lots of privately-owned Teslas and other EVs available for rent.

My home is in a suburban area and despite having existed for over a decade, its location has never been correct on map databases used by navigation systems. I explain to people that the entrance to my driveway is 3/10th of a mile west of the intersection of Main and First.
That makes sence.

Sorry, you may need to limit your friends to those who drive ICE vehicles.

Until you're the one crossing the street and get mowed over by someone texting with AP and dies. Which happened THIS YEAR.

We share the road and people are abusing AP to deadly effect. It is not and has not been ready for public use on surface roads. Everyone but a few reckless, careless "adults" agree that AP shouldn't be used without the driver paying attention.

Raw data: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/ffdd/sgo-2021-01/SGO-2021-01_Incident_Reports_ADS.csv
Not sure what that CVS attachment means.
Cars without autopilot kill people too if the drivers are careless.

I have two strikes right now. I wonder if I should get all three remaining before this new software comes. Losing full self driving beta was not a big deal for me so I didn’t really care about the strikes. But losing auto steer would make my weekly commute absolutely untenable at this point. I have built my life around not having the stress of my commute on my body. Having to drive every mile for a week would really be bad for my back!

Do we think the new software will reset the strikes? Probably not.

I have two strikes right now. I wonder if I should get all three remaining before this new software comes. Losing full self driving beta was not a big deal for me so I didn’t really care about the strikes. But losing auto steer would make my weekly commute absolutely untenable at this point. I have built my life around not having the stress of my commute on my body. Having to drive every mile for a week would really be bad for my back!

Do we think the new software will reset the strikes? Probably not.
It will reset.

Reactions: GSP
Just completed an hour (~20mi) drive on 2023.44.30.1. No noticable difference with AP (not EAP or FSD, just plain jane AP). It worked on single lane back roads, came right up to red lights without warning or nagging me. No noticible increase in nag frequency on surface roads or highways.

This was with an upgraded 2017 Model S from MCU1/AP2.5 to MCU2/AP3. So no interior camera.

So it looks like for now they've only pushed out the suspension portion of the recall. Which I did not test ;)

Just completed an hour (~20mi) drive on 2023.44.30.1. No noticable difference with AP (not EAP or FSD, just plain jane AP). It worked on single lane back roads, came right up to red lights without warning or nagging me. No noticible increase in nag frequency on surface roads or highways.

This was with an upgraded 2017 Model S from MCU1/AP2.5 to MCU2/AP3. So no interior camera.

So it looks like for now they've only pushed out the suspension portion of the recall. Which I did not test ;)
Maybe the false naggings are reduced. I hope that is true.
If you want to test nagging, take your hands off the wheel.
Also, AP without FSD does not give warning or stop for red lights/stop signs.

Also, AP without FSD does not give warning or stop for red lights/stop signs.
Yep. I know in the past it didn't but was wondering if they would add it to plain AP since that was one of the pain points. Bunch of collisions in and around intersections involving other cars, objects and even a few pedestrians.
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 10.51.15.png

Guess this is where the interior camera comes into play then? Or maybe the recall is being rolled out in phases as the code is ready?

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Not sure what that CVS attachment means.
Cars without autopilot kill people too if the drivers are careless.
The CSV is the raw NHTSA data. Since people keep telling me I'm wrong about how AP is being used by some.

Oh most definetely. Reckless drivers are reckless drivers.

But I want to move to a future where human drivers are eventually replaced (I know that's decades away) and for Tesla to be a brand I am proud to support. So if that means AP is constrained to its actual technical limitations and fewer people are seen using it recklessly, then yeah I'm all for nags at intersections and banning bad actors.

Strange how the logic works here.

Some airplanes automatically engage autopilot if the pilot does something stupid or becomes incapacitated.

I would rather a Tesla do the same thing instead of disengaging and eventually suspending the feature.

I guarantee Autopilot drives more safely than many, if not most of the drivers who will face suspensions due to "improper use".

As previously stated, bad drivers are bad drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if data ultimately reveals that crashes increase if these drivers are suspended from using Autopilot.

Some airplanes automatically engage autopilot if the pilot does something stupid or becomes incapacitated.

I would rather a Tesla do the same thing instead of disengaging and eventually suspending the feature.

I guarantee Autopilot drives more safely than many, if not most of the drivers who will face suspensions due to "improper use".

As previously stated, bad drivers are bad drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if data ultimately reveals that crashes increase if these drivers are suspended from using Autopilot.
Yes, naggings distract me from paying attention to the road. I have to constantly look at the touchscreen to detect nags.

Reactions: kavyboy

Then go to Tesla and tell them to release the safety features in EAP and FSD to all Tesla's. Cause those two software suites will stop at a red light or intersection.

AP will blow the light.

Can't have it both ways. Don't call it "autopilot" if it doesn't do autopilot stuff. It's just LKAS and ACC. But we all know it does more than that to assist the driver, instilling a false sense of security on surface streets, but doesn't include the safety features of stopping at an intersection unless you pony over thousands.

Tesla wants to advertise one way, then charge you another. Tesla is feeding the recklessness and that's what this recall is attempting to address. Even if it's way too little way too late.

Then go to Tesla and tell them to release the safety features in EAP and FSD to all Tesla's.
And before people get on me about "wanting something for nothing" there is nothing stopping Tesla from adding intersection detection to regular atuopilot. Warning the driver repeatedly before getting to the intersection, automatically bringing the car to a stop safely then banning the driver from re-engaging AP. Just the safety feature.

I'm not suggesting that everyone just gets EAP for free.

Reactions: navguy12

This is a really good point. Also, even if someone isn’t a “bad driver”, there are people like me who use auto steer so much, I’ve come to rely on it to do what are basic things in other vehicles, like changing the radio station and adjusting the HVAC. If all of a sudden, after 4.5 years of AP services, I have a week of driving my car, and I have to do all that stuff on the screen without auto steer, I think that’s a negative in terms of safety.

Reactions: kavyboy
This is a really good point. Also, even if someone isn’t a “bad driver”, there are people like me who use auto steer so much, I’ve come to rely on it to do what are basic things in other vehicles, like changing the radio station and adjusting the HVAC. If all of a sudden, after 4.5 years of AP services, I have a week of driving my car, and I have to do all that stuff on the screen without auto steer, I think that’s a negative in terms of safety.
God help us if you ever need to rent an ICE car

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12 and DrGriz