Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of the comments there are depressingly funny.

A few months back I made this comment:

One of the interesting things which could potentially hurt Tesla is that the shape of a truck is defined by its gas engine. They usually have a big flat front to allow lots of air into the engine bay to cool its hard working, very hot engine. If Tesla makes a truck that won't be necessary and so they can make a rounded curvy front end like the Model X. If Tesla changes the boxy shape of a truck a lot of truck owners won't buy one, I think, due to their preconceived notions of what a truck looks like. It's part of the reason Tesla made the black circle in the front of the S and X that mimics a grill. This makes the S and X still look like a car that people expect from the looks of a car. My hope, when Tesla does eventually make a truck, is that they somehow make it look like a truck.

I think the comments to that article reflect exactly what I was saying in this comment.

I liked this comment:

"Yea, and what happens when your electric is out for two weeks after a storm. Your screwed thats what."
Immediately after the storm, not everyone lost power, but almost no-one could get gas. A few days later many people got power restored, but gas was almost impossible to find. 2 weeks after the storm almost everyone has power, but everyone is on gas rationing with odd/even days, etc. Easier to charge at home overnight than to wait on a gas line for hours every other day.

My hope, when Tesla does eventually make a truck, is that they somehow make it look like a truck.

Without an engine, they can make the truck bed longer. Imagine a full size pickup bed with a full size rear bench seat. Way more important.

Biggest obstacle is having enough power on board to run errands under heavy loads all day. I haven't done the math, but if 85kWh under a half ton load or towing only goes 70 miles, that's not gonna work for many contractors.

First, kudos to the artist Mark Stehrenberger for his rapid development of Tesla pickup truck drawings. They look lovely and fun, but they also look like (1) a Subaru Baja, (2) a Holden Ute or updated El Camino, or (3) a Chevrolet Avalanche, which suggests to me that Mr. Stehrenberger took some of his older designs over the years and re-did them, especially since only the 2nd drawing has a low-profile camera instead of large paddle mirrors. I expect some insane innovations if Tesla heads in this direction, like a sturdy yet retractable or dynamic roof rack (cuts down on wind resistance) and a weight balance that takes advantage of the whole vehicle, not simply the rear axle. I also expect the vehicle to be highly modular, as a service vehicle.

Elon said "electric truck that could be a real improvement on truck technology." What he did not say was "pickup truck." I think a pickup truck would be great, but I think a heavy freight truck would be epic. I also think that a freight truck would fit better with his comments about transport independence.

Given the time-line Tesla has, this makes more sense to me than a new consumer vehicle. If Tesla is even 3 years out on a pickup truck, Nissan is only 2 years out, and will likely build on their existing truck platform. If Nissan switches to a different battery design, which I expect will happen, then as a pickup truck, Tesla Motors will have difficulty competing. Additionally, pickup trucks receive significant wear and tear, and might be hard to manage in a service contract like what is offered for the Model S.

but with a truck?

Nissan doesn't stand a chance If they don't have one already. Based on existing truck platform would be Stoopid at best.

Whoa. The average consumer won't think about that, Z-man. Isn't the Nissan Leaf little more than a Nissan Versa with a little "junk in the trunk?" Reference. No, I fully expect Nissan will build on its light truck platform. To Nissan, making the Leaf was "look, we made an electric car, and people are buying it!" I've seen the hood popped on a Leaf. It is basically hollow except for the top 10" where they have, of all things, a standard car battery, and some other components. They didn't even bother to put a tray beneath all those electrical components. It isn't Stoopid, it is cost-savings. It also isn't innovative. Nissan will not innovate to 20% of what Tesla Motors will, in a single car. Nissan did put a solar panel in the Leaf's spoiler, to keep the lead-acid car battery charged. They also put the charging port under a lid in the front. They added a "beep-beep-beep" system for when the vehicle is in reverse. Beyond sticking an air-cooled Lithium battery and a motor in the car, that's all Nissan did to build a car that has seen production numbers over 40,000 in two years. Well, they did stick some charging stations all over the map where their dealerships are.
I have an acquaintance who is a 'truck guy." He's had massive diesel trucks, light duty, you name it. He would be thrilled to have an electric truck, for all that low-speed torque and regenerative braking. If my acquaintance is representative of a pickup truck buyer, he will be after "the most truck for his dollar." That means towing capacity, load support, horsepower, and very little else. If the thought of not having to buy gasoline enters any truck buyer's mind, and they still get all the truck they need, yeah, gasoline trucks are gone.

Tesla needs to figure out how to make this:

volkwsagen-bus-18.jpg

look good. Having the cab up-front let's them have a full-size bed even if the cab has 2 rows of seats - which is the pickup equivalent of tastes great and less filling.

Last edited: