Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh and I forgot to mention that while we were there Mark performed the seatbelt recall service. We received a note from Tesla that morning about the seatbelt thing they needed to check. While we were at the party, Mark took our keys, went to the car and performed the service check to make sure our seat belts were safe, and dropped off our key.

Very impressive service. Well done Tesla.

First Super Charge

I have had to be very patient with my CPO delivery from Ontario. (I know its nothing compared to those that have ordered new.)
Mine was the first Model S to be imported from Ontario so the Ministry of Transport did not have anything in their computer to do the inspection with.
Took a few days but Tesla worked through last weekend to make sure it was all taken care of for me. So I'm finally on the road and did my first run to Red Deer from Calgary and tried the Super Charger there. I'm having so much fun. What an amazing vehicle.

Today I accidentally discovered that the car would stabilize at 130 kph, or 80 mph. I did a quick search on this forum and discovered that the service vehicles are limited to that. So Toronto had forgotten to remove that restriction before shipping it. I called the Tesla number in the manual and got through immediately, to a real human, on a Sunday night to boot. She looked at my car over the computer and had it fixed instantly. Way to go Tesla. :biggrin:

I'm sure I'll never need to go fast than 130 anyway..... :rolleyes:

Good to meet a lot of people there, and we enjoyed the evening!

Oh and I forgot to mention that while we were there Mark performed the seatbelt recall service. We received a note from Tesla that morning about the seatbelt thing they needed to check. While we were at the party, Mark took our keys, went to the car and performed the service check to make sure our seat belts were safe, and dropped off our key.

Very impressive service. Well done Tesla.
Well that would have been nice to know! They probably could have done another 40 cars or so while they were at it!

- - - Updated - - -

Mine was the first Model S to be imported from Ontario so the Ministry of Transport did not have anything in their computer to do the inspection with.
That's patently false... I know of a few others that came before yours... Of course I'm not surprised that the registries couldn't figure it out...

Today I accidentally discovered that the car would stabilize at 130 kph, or 80 mph. I did a quick search on this forum and discovered that the service vehicles are limited to that. So Toronto had forgotten to remove that restriction before shipping it. I called the Tesla number in the manual and got through immediately, to a real human, on a Sunday night to boot. She looked at my car over the computer and had it fixed instantly. Way to go Tesla. :biggrin:
Considering mine was previously an Ontario inventory car, I have a sudden urge to run out and try getting up to 131 and see what happens.... (I have done 130 on the Coquihalla as it's only 10 over the limit, but I never went above)

Well that would have been nice to know! They probably could have done another 40 cars or so while they were at it!

- - - Updated - - -

That's patently false... I know of a few others that came before yours... Of course I'm not surprised that the registries couldn't figure it out...

Considering mine was previously an Ontario inventory car, I have a sudden urge to run out and try getting up to 131 and see what happens.... (I have done 130 on the Coquihalla as it's only 10 over the limit, but I never went above)

Well it would have been nice to know who did the inspection for the other Ontario cars. Maybe I could have avoided all the trouble.
Also would be nice to know who keeps dropping the ball with the Alberta Ministry of Transport to not have it in their system.

131 Kph? "With great power comes great responsibility". :wink:

The Tesla Store party was great. Like he said in the presentation, it was the owners and future owners that deserve the credit. Great group of people, and we loved catching up with some of you and meeting others for the first time.

Thank you all for a fun night!

Today I accidentally discovered that the car would stabilize at 130 kph, or 80 mph. I did a quick search on this forum and discovered that the service vehicles are limited to that. So Toronto had forgotten to remove that restriction before shipping it.

Yeah, I think they usually forget about that limit. I wonder how many people never notice. (I've had mine up to 203 kph. Legally.)

It was a good evening indeed. Based on the stats of your car, I think it was you and your wife I spoke with that evening. I'm waiting for a call from Tesla SC in Vancouver (odd that they connected me to that one) to see if a ranger will do the recall. As my car is also originally an Ontario car, I can report that it's at least good to 168 km/h :eek:

Alberta Owner's club

Hi,
JGDixon on the TMC emailed me as we have previously corresponded and talked about an Alberta (or mid/western Canada) type owners club. JG is president of an Ontario owners club (can't remember if it's Ottawa specific). They have been operating as an independent body but it appears that Tesla is interested in making owners clubs a more formal arrangement. John mentioned this to me, wondering if we (not sure if this is city specific, province or region) want to formalize a club here and get on board with the Tesla arrangement. I've listed some of the points from Tesla indicating advantages and conversely any expectations from them. I've listed some questions below - I'm thinking that JGDixon might be able to chip in on the first question and possibly give us a quick overview of what is involved.

- What is involved in a formal owners group - what positions need to be created/filled, is there any cost associated?
- Do we have enough people interested in forming a formal group - is there some minimum number of owners to make it worthwhile?
- Do we have people willing to take on any formal roles (e.g. President) - Who? and How do we nominate/elect?
- Do we need to have some minimum level of events/meets to make it worthwhile?

JG is already looking at a website that could be used to include an /Alberta (or whatever) sub area. I'm happy to work on starting up this initiative but that doesn't mean I'm considering one of the club roles necessarily - I need to figure out any time commitments carefully given my new family growth :)
~gpetti

Tesla Email Points:

• Share our branding with a specially-designed logo for exclusive owners club use (with a licensing agreement in place)
  • Extend support for club events – like providing Tesla staff or the usage of Tesla Store / Service Center
  • Provide Tesla merchandise discounts to participating clubs
  • Streamline communications between clubs and Tesla via a dedicated e-mail inbox
  • Promote club events via our social channels
We’d like you to help us from time to time too, like with involvement in some of our Early Adopter Program activities and promotion of our Referral Program.

JGDixon on the TMC emailed me as we have previously corresponded and talked about an Alberta (or mid/western Canada) type owners club.
I've actually been wondering why there isn't something more formal out this way already. I haven't found a 'BC Owners' thread here on the forum and have been somewhat envious that you Alberta guys are active enough to get together on a somewhat regular basis.

The six of us in Kamloops could form a club... and meet in a phone booth. Not quite enough critical mass to make that go... yet.

Some Vancouver owners seem to be affiliated with VEVA, which is great, but not Tesla-specific. There are also plenty of BC owners on this forum, so I'm not sure why there hasn't been a bigger drive for a club for Vancouver or BC owners but wonder if the numbers have already swelled to the point where it's just a car for many (as in, the Tesla wave has disappeared...). I saw plenty in Vancouver a few weeks back and didn't once see an obvious acknowledgement of the car. Maybe the purchasing demographic is different, I don't know.

Whatever the case, I'd be interested in seeing something either in BC or shared with BC/Alberta/Saskatchetoon...

Hi guys
I will try to answer the questions.
What is involved in a formal owners group - what positions need to be created/filled, is there any cost associated?
I believe Tesla only requires a President to be the designated contact person. No cost.
- Do we have enough people interested in forming a formal group - is there some minimum number of owners to make it worthwhile?
Some time ago they mentioned 40 people, I said that was unreasonable especially for certain regions. There was no mention of a number in the recent correspondence.
- Do we have people willing to take on any formal roles (e.g. President) - Who? and How do we nominate/elect?
As mentioned President only. That is me in our region (by default as I was the founder lol) Up to your group to determine who.
Again no requirement from Tesla. We get together every 2 months for our very informal meetings. Occasionally we have / will get together for social activities.

Winter Storm in Calgary

Well the news says we had over 75 collisions today with the bad weather. I drove quite a bit with my 85 and the stock Tesla Pirelli 240 Sottozero tires.
I have to say the car and tires exceeded my expectations.

I really didn't like the noise of the salt and gravel getting picked up and hitting the doors. I think it needs mud flaps. (Low drag of course.):smile:

I really didn't like the noise of the salt and gravel getting picked up and hitting the doors. I think it needs mud flaps. (Low drag of course.):smile:
Mud flaps are something I've always thought the car needed, and I may try to make something, done right I wouldn't expect a range hit, they're pretty well shielded by the tires, but who knows, I don't have a wind tunnel in my basement...

m1ker, maybe fix your video link so its easier to click on. Needs a space after the Winter.

Car sat outside facing South for most of the storm today. This is what I saw when I opened the frunk.

IMG_4242s.JPG

Hi guys
I will try to answer the questions.
What is involved in a formal owners group - what positions need to be created/filled, is there any cost associated?
I believe Tesla only requires a President to be the designated contact person. No cost.
Some time ago they mentioned 40 people, I said that was unreasonable especially for certain regions. There was no mention of a number in the recent correspondence.
As mentioned President only. That is me in our region (by default as I was the founder lol) Up to your group to determine who.
Again no requirement from Tesla. We get together every 2 months for our very informal meetings. Occasionally we have / will get together for social activities.
Thanks John - this seems pretty easy and personally I think we should go ahead - I don't see any downside and presumably nobody has to commit to anything. I think I'll follow through on a few questions offline and then get back to this group with a proposal.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, I have a poll in our Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club thread. It is to pick the best URL for our website.
Gpetti mentioned we may try and have one for Canada and then add a sub domain per region. So teslaowners.ca/alberta for example.
please vote. Comments are welcome.
John
Can you post the link too? I will vote but I think that /alberta probably makes the most sense even if we include owners from other provinces at this time.

Hey Alberta Tesla owners. I'm looking to interview a few individuals for an upcoming magazine article on electric cars (Tesla owners specifically) with an Alberta scope. I'm based in Calgary and am open to phone interviews or an email conversation. I'd love to know the challenges faced by Tesla owners within the province (availability of charging stations, weather, delivery, service etc.), but also more general information (road tripping in a Tesla, how does it drive/feel). If you're interested, please contact me at [email protected]. Thanks.