Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! I am liking the green colour. Must say that must be the only one in Calgary. Very nice day for photos against the prairie backdrop. Congrats!

Well, I met up with TEUNTSLA today and we went and picked up his beautiful new (to him) 85. It's too bad nobody else managed to make it. But I'm definitely up for meeting up with some others tomorrow (or basically any excuse to drive right now... I'm loving this car!)

Let me know if people want to meet up, where and when!

As for pics, I didn't think to take any pics of TEUNTSLA's car but here's a couple of mine from earlier today.

View attachment 98256View attachment 98257

Wow! I am liking the green colour. Must say that must be the only one in Calgary. Very nice day for photos against the prairie backdrop. Congrats!
Someone earlier stated they had seen another one in town, but I don't know for sure. I feel really lucky to have found an inventory car that ticked the right boxes, and also just happened to be my favourite colour combo. The pictures turned out ok, though I'm now nitpicking that I could have done much better, I may go back when I have some time.

Someone earlier stated they had seen another one in town, but I don't know for sure. I feel really lucky to have found an inventory car that ticked the right boxes, and also just happened to be my favourite colour combo. The pictures turned out ok, though I'm now nitpicking that I could have done much better, I may go back when I have some time.
Car looks great! I've never seen green in person (or brown for that matter) so I'm looking forward to seeing your car. Nice that you have the autopilot hardware too!

Car looks great! I've never seen green in person (or brown for that matter) so I'm looking forward to seeing your car.
I am really looking forward to meeting other Calgary drivers too. Not sure when we can make it happen, but I do look forward to it.

Nice that you have the autopilot hardware too!
Would be nice if I had the autopilot software too....

so now you really are the "green 1". coincidence? Exciting times! as everyone says, the driving never gets old!

- - - Updated - - -

So the wife is working tuesday evening, I propose we meet up for a wing night for some of us 'newbs', let me know if you are interested.
Congrats on the car!
Hopefully we can get more meets going - thanks Pablo for usually making these things work. I know that in other regions they try to have regular, repeating meetups. Hopefully we can eventually get a rhythm for these things. That said, my time these days is a bit limited but I will do my best to get to any meetings I can manage.

- - - Updated - - -

From last weeks meet up...

Spectacular Pictures as usual! Any video coming?

Last edited:
While I've only put on 20,000 km's on my car thus far, I have not yet seen a problem that actually requires a remedy. I had a door/window squeak on one back door at delivery, but it seems to have sorted itself out. I had the frunk open on the highway unexpectedly, but the secondary mechanism prevented a catastrophe and no repair has been identified as necessary. So far I'm not concerned about reliability. So far...

I think the CR rating is a little unfair. The items that have been mentioned seem to me (based on what I've read and inferred on the forum) to be tied to earlier cars. How can you do long term reliability assessments on anything but the cars that have been around the longest? Given the steep learning curve Tesla would have had putting a car like this out the factory door, without any competitor's vehicles to reverse engineer, the fact that they're as good as they are is remarkable IMHO. This is uncharted territory and big name manufacturers also receive low ratings, even though they're typically re-skinning something they've been building for years. I personally believe that the newer the Model S, the less likely it is to have the problems CR is reporting. Tesla takes reliability seriously and improves the car whenever an improvement is found.

And don't forget that so long as the car isn't abandoned by the manufacturer, a problem now and then isn't necessarily a deal breaker. The article notes that 97% would buy again. I don't know of any other car rated 'lower than average' for reliability that would have an approval rating that high. Or a car with a 'better than average' rating for that matter.

However, all that being said, I bought the car for more reasons than pure reliability. It's a moral obligation of sorts for me and I'll willingly live with some problems in the future, so long as Tesla doesn't leave me high and dry.

So I just ordered a CPO 85 from Toronto and now Consumer Reports slams the Model S! Has anyone here not had any issues with their cars? I've always tried to purchase the most reliable vehicles I could and Consumer Reports has always rated the Model S so well.

I have had a few issues which I can speak to; however, they key point here (and I'm sure many others will echo) is that I have NEVER regretted the purchase of this car. It is a joy to drive and I look forward to (and even volunteer for) every opportunity to drive it. To be honest, I'm somewhat more demanding of Tesla than I have been with other cars, i.e. my expectations are higher and I want things to be perfect. If I compare with other new model cars I've owned, they (Infiniti) had multiple re-calls, some of a nature that suggested some safety concerns. Tesla have had few if any serious issues - my issues are typically niggling things related to the pano roof or moisture in rear lenses etc. I have reported a few software bugs but to be honest, with other cars I wouldn't have bothered as they never seem to get firmware updates. With the most recent Tesla software update I saw at least a couple of software issues disappear without any service call required.
Early on in the P85D I did have a warning message that gave me some concern. Tesla were able to remotely diagnose this and sent a ranger who was in the vicinity to meet me at the chinook mall (I was at a movie) to check the front motor to make sure there were no coolant issues. To be clear, Tesla are not always able to be as responsive as this but this is an example of the type of service they aspire to when something major might occur. In the end, there was no obvious issue and I suspect this was a software anomaly; however, to be safe, they shipped the car into Vancouver and replaced the entire front motor. I had a rental car for the duration. When we get a Calgary Service Center, I'm assuming that there may be replacement Teslas available when cars are in the shop too.
In summary, I think Tesla do have room for improvement but they have so far made up for any issues I've had by regular appointments with rangers - usually in my garage. The service center for Calgary has been a long time coming but I believe it is coming and things will only get better from there. I doubt you will ever regret your purchase either!

I have had a few issues which I can speak to; however, they key point here (and I'm sure many others will echo) is that I have NEVER regretted the purchase of this car. It is a joy to drive and I look forward to (and even volunteer for) every opportunity to drive it. To be honest, I'm somewhat more demanding of Tesla than I have been with other cars, i.e. my expectations are higher and I want things to be perfect. If I compare with other new model cars I've owned, they (Infiniti) had multiple re-calls, some of a nature that suggested some safety concerns. Tesla have had few if any serious issues - my issues are typically niggling things related to the pano roof or moisture in rear lenses etc. I have reported a few software bugs but to be honest, with other cars I wouldn't have bothered as they never seem to get firmware updates. With the most recent Tesla software update I saw at least a couple of software issues disappear without any service call required.
Early on in the P85D I did have a warning message that gave me some concern. Tesla were able to remotely diagnose this and sent a ranger who was in the vicinity to meet me at the chinook mall (I was at a movie) to check the front motor to make sure there were no coolant issues. To be clear, Tesla are not always able to be as responsive as this but this is an example of the type of service they aspire to when something major might occur. In the end, there was no obvious issue and I suspect this was a software anomaly; however, to be safe, they shipped the car into Vancouver and replaced the entire front motor. I had a rental car for the duration. When we get a Calgary Service Center, I'm assuming that there may be replacement Teslas available when cars are in the shop too.
In summary, I think Tesla do have room for improvement but they have so far made up for any issues I've had by regular appointments with rangers - usually in my garage. The service center for Calgary has been a long time coming but I believe it is coming and things will only get better from there. I doubt you will ever regret your purchase either!

I concur.
Warm regard
From a very satisfied repeat Tesla owner.

- - - Updated - - -

I concur.
Warm regard
From a very satisfied repeat Tesla owner.

As I've mentioned a couple of times, life recently got a whole lot busier - making it difficult for me to attend as many events as I used to. Pictures below show some new "options that are now installed in my car and two new occupants. Good thing my new performance car is also a super safe family sedan!

View attachment 98733

01ffa354dc3c96d315b09d9305a7bfeff744900c9a.jpg

That's awesome Gpetti! Congrats on the new additions! That's what I love about the Tesla. You can have performance and family safety all in one sleek package. Regarding the Consumer Reports thing... it's well overblown by the media. Click-bait type journalism. Reliability scores on 2012/2013 Models scored between Acura and GMC. Still higher than current generation Mercedes S and C classes and higher than Infinite, Corvette, Cadillac Escalade, Chevy, etc. However, only Tesla gets the flak for not being "the best of the best".

Another thing I think is that Consumer Reports tallied up the "creaks and squeaks" as problems owners complained about. I mean, really? Of course you can hear lots of creaks.... there is no loud ICE under the hood spewing fumes everywhere. As well, Tesla early adopters are bound to be some of the most particular buyers out there.

As I've mentioned a couple of times, life recently got a whole lot busier - making it difficult for me to attend as many events as I used to. Pictures below show some new "options that are now installed in my car and two new occupants. Good thing my new performance car is also a super safe family sedan!

View attachment 98733

View attachment 98740

That's awesome Gpetti! Congrats on the new additions! That's what I love about the Tesla. You can have performance and family safety all in one sleek package. Regarding the Consumer Reports thing... it's well overblown by the media. Click-bait type journalism. Reliability scores on 2012/2013 Models scored between Acura and GMC. Still higher than current generation Mercedes S and C classes and higher than Infinite, Corvette, Cadillac Escalade, Chevy, etc. However, only Tesla gets the flak for not being "the best of the best".

Another thing I think is that Consumer Reports tallied up the "creaks and squeaks" as problems owners complained about. I mean, really? Of course you can hear lots of creaks.... there is no loud ICE under the hood spewing fumes everywhere. As well, Tesla early adopters are bound to be some of the most particular buyers out there.

Thanks! and well said. I think that the best way to interpret CR data is to look at all the ratings and you can see that it is a net positive situation. In the context of the rating for the overall car (best ever) and the owner satisfaction stat (percentage of owners who would buy another Tesla - 97%) which I also believe is the highest number for any vehicle? the reliability can be put into context. The relatively low impact and importance of most of the reliability issues along with Tesla's approach to solving issues effectively removes owner stigma around reliability.

View attachment 98733

View attachment 98740
Best mod I've seen in a while... although I won't be doing this one! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to stick to push another get together now that I have the car. Anyone interested in doing a Cora's breakfast this Sunday morning?
I'd be up for a breakfast or even Brunch in Red Deer...

Congratulations and glad to see you optioned it up right with the correct colours... right down to the red trim to match the brake calipers!

I will offer congratulations again when you un-mod your car a few (very long) years from now... :cool:

View attachment 98733

View attachment 98740
Congrats on the babies! Our four kids are loving the Tesla. And soon, very soon we will be leaving for Anaheim CA, to go to Disneyland. Our first time driving that far. Autopilot made it our way just in time, can't wait for the trip!!