Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to extend a big (and sadly, overdue!) Thanks to gpetti, 3s-a-charm and, In2Oil for providing a wonderful Tesla experience for myself and a friend in Calgary a couple of weeks ago. I secretly arranged for gpetti to meet us to show off his P85D for someone who had never even seen a Tesla in person before - and we were later treated to two more P85D's after a quick spin! I think gpetti said it may have been the best reaction he's ever gotten. My poor Audi definitely got no love that afternoon.

Thanks again for great showing, very happy to be a part of such a great community.

I also just verified that the house I'm building will be getting a NEMA 14-50 in the garage, so I'm Tesla ready, just need to find the right one and convince the wife...
Was fun! I'm always ready to show off the car but that was indeed the most excited I have ever seen anyone, just on first sight of the car. I was slightly afraid that she would faint during the drive. :smile:

I'm on the list for a dose of ludicrous as well. No indication of cost yet, but if a $5K checkbox existed when I ordered I wouldn't have hesitated; so why would I now. Just don't tell my wife.

I sold it to the wife because the contactors are space-age alloy (Inconel) and the fuse is better. Arguably making the vehicle more reliable and less likely to experience the scary but rare sudden contactor failure or "dreaded clunk" that some people have reported. As I remember there was a guy on this forum that hit the pedal hard to do a launch with his buddies, only to hear the loud clunk of the contactors failing suddenly and having his car essentially disabled. Correct me if I am wrong on this. What if this occurs when you are at a two way stop intersection? T-bone steak. Of course the 2.8s is merely a consequence of this added safety feature :)

How did you get on the list? I have called several times and they have very limited information on the upgrade! If there is a list I want to be on it as well.

Just called ,,, I am on the list as well! Can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

I like the way you think. As well, there are some significant benefit of upgrading as well as it is great value. We are roughly getting a 50% discount over someone buying a new TESLA model S P85DL. IMO, it is a must, at least for me.

Last edited:
For those of us in Edmonton (or any who may want to drive up), Edmonton is having a National Drive Electric Week event Saturday September 12th at Southgate Mall. I will be there, and wanted to extend an invite to the rest of you. For more information, and to get registered, please visit https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=340 . Being relatively new to EVs/Tesla's, I can't speak from experience about the event from prior years, but it is sounding like it should be a great promotions for EVs in general. Southgate is very excited about it and has committed to quite a bit of promotion. I believe Koch Ford will be onsite offering test drives of some of their EV/near EV vehicles. It would be great to talk to some of the people who get interested in those cars, and perhaps convince them Tesla is the ideal EV ;-). I am still trying to get them to permit test rides in the Tesla (launches), but not sure if that is going to happen - and if it does, having multiple cars would be good.

There is an event the following week in Calgary as well, https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=344

Drive Electric hasn't been to Edmonton before, there used to be a Drive The Future event at NAIT but that wasn't held this year. The trick with test rides will be not having your car in the main display area - there will be many pedestrians and to have cars coming & going obviously is a problem. Drive The Future allowed test rides but you had to be parked at the edge.

You back in the city now? How was your trip?

For those of us in Edmonton (or any who may want to drive up), Edmonton is having a National Drive Electric Week event Saturday September 12th at Southgate Mall. I will be there, and wanted to extend an invite to the rest of you. For more information, and to get registered, please visit https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=340 . Being relatively new to EVs/Tesla's, I can't speak from experience about the event from prior years, but it is sounding like it should be a great promotions for EVs in general. Southgate is very excited about it and has committed to quite a bit of promotion. I believe Koch Ford will be onsite offering test drives of some of their EV/near EV vehicles. It would be great to talk to some of the people who get interested in those cars, and perhaps convince them Tesla is the ideal EV ;-). I am still trying to get them to permit test rides in the Tesla (launches), but not sure if that is going to happen - and if it does, having multiple cars would be good.

There is an event the following week in Calgary as well, https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=344

I'm registered for the Calgary event.

Has anyone received the referral email? I have not received this but I was wondering if maybe this is only in the US? if it is extended to Canada I imagine AC1K will get a free model X :) I have mixed feelings about this as it seems like it would create some competitiveness where we might all be competing to hand our links when we are at car shows etc. Normally I think people I talk to are impressed that Tesla owners sell the car so hard without any commission. Now we may look like a bunch of car sales people. (Apologies to any car sales people who might read this). I also wonder how this impacts the Tesla sales team. Presumably these referrals cut them out of the loop whereas previously people like AC1K have been handing out Tesla business cards.

Has anyone received the referral email? I have not received this but I was wondering if maybe this is only in the US? if it is extended to Canada I imagine AC1K will get a free model X :) I have mixed feelings about this as it seems like it would create some competitiveness where we might all be competing to hand our links when we are at car shows etc. Normally I think people I talk to are impressed that Tesla owners sell the car so hard without any commission. Now we may look like a bunch of car sales people. (Apologies to any car sales people who might read this). I also wonder how this impacts the Tesla sales team. Presumably these referrals cut them out of the loop whereas previously people like AC1K have been handing out Tesla business cards.
No email yet but when I logged into my tesla yesterday there was info and a short link specific to my account that I can give to Referrals. There is also a counter that says 94 days left.

Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Drive Electric hasn't been to Edmonton before, there used to be a Drive The Future event at NAIT but that wasn't held this year. The trick with test rides will be not having your car in the main display area - there will be many pedestrians and to have cars coming & going obviously is a problem. Drive The Future allowed test rides but you had to be parked at the edge.

You back in the city now? How was your trip?

The details I heard were that Koch was being given the top level parking lot to do test drives, presumably as it was being closed to general public for safety, so possibly that could be where Tesla rides happen, but then Koch may not like that... Will see how it all plays out :).

Yep, back. Trip was good. Driving the Tesla was great. Autopilot would have been soooo nice on a long trip like that at times ;-)

I've already seen ads out stating "$1,000 off your Tesla purchase - contact me for details" on social media LOL.

Musk is a genius. Alyssa Milano has 2.84M twitter followers. That was free advertising for Tesla to millions of eyeballs! She tweeted to all of them her praise for Tesla and Elon.... and of course her referral link. Me thinks the free Model-X has already been claimed on paper. No way us small town Alberta folk can compete for the North American referral bonus!

As an aside, I saw a gray Model S yesterday on Memorial Drive. I didn't get a chance to wave "hi" because I didn't notice you until you were a bit ahead of me, but I think you drove beside me for a bit. Nice sudden accel you did btw! It really is something to see the pick up in speed from outside the car even though I drive a Tesla already, so I can only imagine what the ICE drivers think when they see the P85D zipping around town. :)

Musk is a genius. Alyssa Milano has 2.84M twitter followers. That was free advertising for Tesla to millions of eyeballs! She tweeted to all of them her praise for Tesla and Elon.... and of course her referral link. Me thinks the free Model-X has already been claimed on paper. No way us small town Alberta folk can compete for the North American referral bonus!

As an aside, I saw a gray Model S yesterday on Memorial Drive. I didn't get a chance to wave "hi" because I didn't notice you until you were a bit ahead of me, but I think you drove beside me for a bit. Nice sudden accel you did btw! It really is something to see the pick up in speed from outside the car even though I drive a Tesla already, so I can only imagine what the ICE drivers think when they see the P85D zipping around town. :)

Hi McMuggets,, it was me! it's always great to see a TESLA around town. Your TESLA looked amazing and really clean! Perhaps we'll have a chance to meet

Hi McMuggets,, it was me! it's always great to see a TESLA around town. Your TESLA looked amazing and really clean! Perhaps we'll have a chance to meet

Yeah I have realized that the money I am saving on gas has been replaced with the money I'm spending on car washes, LOL. If I am available Sept 19 I might register my car for the drive electric day. Still checking on the scheduling at work. Perhaps I'll see you and the others there.

Hi all, just wondering something about 3G. That is... mine and Hanchen's have stopped working. It shows "3G" and 3-5 bars depending on wherever I drive, but there is no access to slacker, the web browser, or the GPS map. We also cannot connect to the car via the Tesla app or any other app for that matter. It seems strange that this occurred on my car seemingly overnight independent of Hanchen's Tesla. I only found out he had the same issue when I asked him this morning. I'm just wondering if any other Calgary owners have had any similar issues recently and am hoping it might be a cellular network problem. Thanks!