Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that one of my doors is currently possessed, I was on the phone with Vancouver. Found it interesting that a Ranger is scheduled to come to Calgary and Edmonton mid February to do annual maintenance visits, as well as apply some service bulletins (I didn't ask about the specifics).
There was one in Calgary on Wednesday who came up to Edmonton yesterday, he spent the day in my garage addressing some warranty issues with my car. There may be another one coming out in February. They tend to come out quarterly, if your issue is serious enough they'll send someone immediately.

3s-a-charm Yes the Alberta EV Group is a FB group so you need an account. They also have a less active twitter account @pluginAlberta

The Red Deer, Alberta Sheraton supercharger is right along the main road 50 ave/Gaetz. There are a few restaurants within a block;
Joe's Cafe
Garden Terrace Lounge
VLT Lounge
R&R Grill
India Feast
Boston Pizza
Billy Bob's Saloon

More on the super charger; Find Us | Tesla Motors

We always use the Sun Country Charger at Peavey Mart on road trips through Red Deer as we have a Tesla Roadster

Last edited:
CTV News just aired a clip about Tesla and the Red Deer supercharger:
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2217913
Unfortunately (and not surprisingly I suppose), no one used the SC while the News crew was on site (which they pointed out, somewhat disparagingly it seemed).

I am curious how much more of the interview they didn't air... I don't suppose anyone here wants to share if anything interesting didn't air? ;-)

3s-a-charm Yes the Alberta EV Group is a FB group so you need an account. They also have a less active twitter account @pluginAlberta

The Red Deer, Alberta Sheraton supercharger is right along the main road 50 ave/Gaetz. There are a few restaurants within a block;
Joe's Cafe
Garden Terrace Lounge
VLT Lounge
R&R Grill
India Feast
Boston Pizza
Billy Bob's Saloon

More on the super charger; Find Us | Tesla Motors

We always use the Sun Country Charger at Peavey Mart on road trips through Red Deer as we have a Tesla Roadster
Ok, thank you. I'm a bit of a Social Media pariah as I don't have any accounts other than Linkedin. Looking forward to finding an excuse to go to Edmonton - maybe take the kids to the waterpark at West Edmonton Mall?

Tesla HPWC box just arrived today! Oh yeah. I guess it's time to call that electrician now that we have something that can be hooked up!
That's exciting @m1ker! I love my HPWC - full 80A which I am now realizing is complete overkill for the type of driving I do but sure is fun to have.

Looking forward to a spring or late-winter Tesla Calgary meet. I want to feel @gpetti's heated steering wheel LOL.

I hope having some apparently uninvited northernly neighbours show up won't be an issue? :tongue:
I'd be up for that, providing all goes well for our Late March delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

That's exciting @m1ker! I love my HPWC - full 80A which I am now realizing is complete overkill for the type of driving I do but sure is fun to have.

Looking forward to a spring or late-winter Tesla Calgary meet. I want to feel @gpetti's heated steering wheel LOL.

Quick question, did you use the Tesla recommended electrician from Hixi Electric. I haven't heard back from him yet, he must be busy.

I hope having some apparently uninvited northernly neighbours show up won't be an issue? :tongue:
But of course!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be up for that, providing all goes well for our Late March delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question, did you use the Tesla recommended electrician from Hixi Electric. I haven't heard back from him yet, he must be busy.
@m1ker, please see this post I posted earlier about my favorite electrician and Tesla lover... Tesla Owners in Alberta - Page 29

Agree it is complete overkill most of the time...but, I can practically guarantee that in the next year, you will find an occasion where your plans will change, and you will be very happy that you can recover charge at 80 amps...has happened at least a dozen times in the last 3 years to me...:smile:

Looks like we have a 200A panel upgrade in our future. Quote will be here Friday, and then we should be good to schedule the panel upgrade and HWPC install.

But it will be awesome to be charging at 80A will be priceless!

Looks like we have a 200A panel upgrade in our future. Quote will be here Friday, and then we should be good to schedule the panel upgrade and HWPC install.

But it will be awesome to be charging at 80A will be priceless!
I'm interested to hear about this. As I've detailed elsewhere, I could not get a 200 amp panel without increasing the feed from the transformer (or so I was told). Enmax told me they would have to dig up about 4 driveways and anecdotally (based on a previous customer) they told me that 2 driveways can be as much as 50,000. Thus I still have a 150 panel which so far is adequate.

- - - Updated - - -

Got my car properly registered today at AMA on 45 street SW. The lady who served me was so pleased to be registering her first Tesla. I've seen this kind of enthusiasm before (the bank staff when I got my bankers draft for example) but this was on a whole new level. Apparently she has even had a tour of the Tesla factory but has never seen one in Calgary. Sadly my car was not there to show her (being as it isn't registered that might have taken some explaining).
Needless to say this was a much easier experience than an earlier trip where a different staff member said they would have to inspect the VIN number on the car.

I'm interested to hear about this. As I've detailed elsewhere, I could not get a 200 amp panel without increasing the feed from the transformer (or so I was told). Enmax told me they would have to dig up about 4 driveways and anecdotally (based on a previous customer) they told me that 2 driveways can be as much as 50,000. Thus I still have a 150 panel which so far is adequate.

- - - Updated - - -

Got my car properly registered today at AMA on 45 street SW. The lady who served me was so pleased to be registering her first Tesla. I've seen this kind of enthusiasm before (the bank staff when I got my bankers draft for example) but this was on a whole new level. Apparently she has even had a tour of the Tesla factory but has never seen one in Calgary. Sadly my car was not there to show her (being as it isn't registered that might have taken some explaining).
Needless to say this was a much easier experience than an earlier trip where a different staff member said they would have to inspect the VIN number on the car.
Will let you know as I get more info. Apparently for our house Enmax has a 200A service to the meter. From the meter to our panel we have a 100A wire coming in. So all the is needed is to run a thicker gauge cable to carry 200A to our new 200A panel. This will give us enough capacity for two EV's AMD other stuff. I'll post more details as we go through this.

We we had to spend some money 3 years ago when we got our Nissan Leaf (about 2K), but no panel upgrade was needed back then as we only ran a 40A circuit to the EVSE in the garage.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny! I had a similar experience at the Registry Office. They had to "massage" some paperwork as Tesla didn't provide the NVIS they needed. I came back 2 days later and the registry employee had to come out and check out my car. I've been launching friends and anyone else since I got the car. It feels eerily safe in this car for some reason and with no "look at me" engine noise it just seems, well, more okay to accelerate like a madman for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Will let you know as I get more info. Apparently for our house Enmax has a 200A service to the meter. From the meter to our panel we have a 100A wire coming in. So all the is needed is to run a thicker gauge cable to carry 200A to our new 200A panel. This will give us enough capacity for two EV's AMD other stuff. I'll post more details as we go through this.

We we had to spend some money 3 years ago when we got our Nissan Leaf (about 2K), but no panel upgrade was needed back then as we only ran a 40A circuit to the EVSE in the garage.
Do you have a back-lane garage or front attached?

I'm wondering if we should have an Alberta Tesla Owner's group similar to the one that JG Dixon runs in Southern Ontario. Not sure how much effort this is and if someone has to run it like JG does but essentially having occasional meetups somewhere might be worthwhile and ideally fun. Might invite him to chip in here with some thoughts on what is involved.

Be sure to let me know if you decide to do something, Greg. It would be nice to pop down and meet everyone in the area once the weather warms up enough to let me make the trip.

That is, if you don't mind a non-Albertan at your Alberta group meeting...:wink:

I was thinking about calling it the Central Canada group but that isn't entirely accurate either. whatever its called I'm sure you will be an honorary member.

I'm wondering if we should have an Alberta Tesla Owner's group similar to the one that JG Dixon runs in Southern Ontario. Not sure how much effort this is and if someone has to run it like JG does but essentially having occasional meetups somewhere might be worthwhile and ideally fun. Might invite him to chip in here with some thoughts on what is involved.
Hi guys
It doesn't take a huge amount of effort, although being self employed helps.:smile:
It was a challenge to get the group to the size it is now. (Over 100 names but not all participate)
We get together every two months or so and average about 35 members in attendance.
We also just had one our first official social functions, a rally to the Barrie Supercharger with 30+ cars.
Tesla as a company does not want to be involved officially. So I stalked both forums and sent PMs out etc.
We are now getting referrals from other members. Interesting enough I got a good response to a post just asking people who frequented TMC but weren't members to contact me. If you look at any given time most people who go onto TMC are guests.
We hope to have a website soon and a proper group email solution, you are welcome to piggy back onto that when it happens.
You have my email Greg so feel free to contact me anytime.

Hi guys
It doesn't take a huge amount of effort, although being self employed helps.:smile:
It was a challenge to get the group to the size it is now. (Over 100 names but not all participate)
We get together every two months or so and average about 35 members in attendance.
We also just had one our first official social functions, a rally to the Barrie Supercharger with 30+ cars.
Tesla as a company does not want to be involved officially. So I stalked both forums and sent PMs out etc.
We are now getting referrals from other members. Interesting enough I got a good response to a post just asking people who frequented TMC but weren't members to contact me. If you look at any given time most people who go onto TMC are guests.
We hope to have a website soon and a proper group email solution, you are welcome to piggy back onto that when it happens.
You have my email Greg so feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks John, I was going to ask you to jump in but you beat me to it.