Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a minimum amount of time the system needs to be operational in order to qualify for the federal tax credit?
Good question. I'd have to research that. I know with the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act 1603 from 2009, the company had to report annually for 5 years on the energy production from the property. I don't know if there is a time period required for the ITC.

I did find this on EnergySage concerning the ITC:
Additionally, in previous years, owners of new solar energy systems could not claim the tax credit unless their system was operational. Now, the legislation allows them to claim it as soon as the construction of the system is complete, as long as it is operational by December 31, 2023.

No mention of how long it has to be operational. Still looking...

Reactions: SureValla
Read the agreement people.
It’s in language a student can understand. I summarized it in my “subscription “thread.

The agreement doesn’t list all scenarios, and so I would not risk assuming Tesla will act in favor of the customer if it’s not expressly written on the agreement. Particularly, I wouldn’t accept as fact anything a Tesla employee says that contradicts the agreement such as maintenance responsibility by the renter.

My biggest concern is risking that the price will go up. The people I've spoken to assure me it wont go up that much if at all in the first year but without that in writing I'm not convinced. Putting panels on my roof leaves me prone to the price skyrocketing to 1000/mo if Tesla wanted to and I'd have no choice but to cancel and be out $1500. I know they likely dont want to do this but I dont like the exposure. Why wont they guarantee the rate for the first year at least?

I'm also concerned about who maintains the system. The contract says its me but the rep said it was them and they would go through the manufacturer's warranty if anything went wrong. This didn't give me a good feeling about having to contact Panasonic or Honeywell (rep told me they use honeywell panels in CT)

I'm also concerned about if the system is down do I still pay the rental fee? What if its down for months?

I also dont like how the contract says all solar incentives go to Tesla. This scares me into thinking net metering and sell back of any kWh go to them too. Not likely but again like above I want it in writing.

I emaiied my guy these questions to get a response in writing. Its been a day and a half and no response. Still also no layout from the engineers and its been 4 days since I put money down.

I'm also concerned they will dump poor or used panels on me. Do they guarantee it will produce a minimum amount? I dont see that anywhere.

Lastly I am very concerned about who is doing the install here. Especially in light of the Walmart fires being attributed to shoddy installation practices.

It specifically says the price is subject to change. In fact it makes sense it is adjustable month to month, and that’s why there is no contract to sign. Sounds reasonable just like any other no-contract monthly agreement service in life. There is nothing that limits how low or high the price can get either. It can be changed at any moment for any amount, and if you don’t agree within 30 days, you must pay the $1,500 to cancel and take off the system. This is pretty clearly stated in the agreement.

The system is your responsibility to maintain. If it goes down, yes, you still pay your rent. It’s not like the generation depends on something from Tesla HQ in some mysterious way. This is explicitly written on the agreement no matter who says what.

It doesn’t seem like there is a contract between Tesla and your utility. So, any NEM credit should be yours. And nothing in the agreement says you are getting brand new panels. They’re selling you a specific DC capacity, not panels. As long as it generates the rated amount of electricity per your contract, then they’ve fulfilled their obligation. In fact, I would bet they’ll be reusing panels if someone cancels. Why waste money only installing brand new panels.

why not just stop paying and leave panels there.

I do share your shoddy install concern and curious to find out who they use in PHX.

If you stop paying, you will get charged the $1,500 automatically and they stated they have right to access your house any time to remove it.

Do they put a lien on the house, like a traditional lease?

Yes. There will be a record on your house. So, it’s not a straightforward matter in selling the house if you have a subscription.

It will even leave it on the customer’s roof. If they want it off their roof, they will have to pay Tesla $1,500 to remove it.

Read the agreement further.
If you cancel, you are agreeing to let Tesla access to your house any time at their convenience to remove the system. They’re not going to just let you hold onto a de-energized system when they can charge you $1,500 and reuse the system on another subscriber’s roof.

Read the agreement further.
If you cancel, you are agreeing to let Tesla access to your house any time at their convenience to remove the system. They’re not going to just let you hold onto a de-energized system when they can charge you $1,500 and reuse the system on another subscriber’s roof.
Good points but $1500 is not a big amount for removal. Esp. if the breakeven for that is less a year. The free charger (text deal) is worth $500 and if they install it while putting in the panel inverter even more

Just cancelled my deposit. Just way to many questions and poor customer service. What made my decision though was how vague the contract is to nearly all the items discussed above and I did not feel comfortable trusting Tesla that the price would not increase substantially. Tesla has a poor history of changing prices on a whim.

I can't for the life of me figure how how these systems will work, until you have onsite battery storage at least the size of your car battery? unless I can charge my whole battery at home overnight, these systems don't seem to make much sense? paying .13 per kwh, and modeling tens of thousands to avoid that, just doesn't pencil?
It all depends on what your rates are. If you are paying $0.30 per kWhr like many do in California then the payback could be less than 10 years. In California, if you have solar and an EV you can get an EV Time of Use rate and get credited for generation at $0.50 per kWh in summer and charge your car for less than $0.20 per kWhr late at night.

Just cancelled my deposit. Just way to many questions and poor customer service. What made my decision though was how vague the contract is to nearly all the items discussed above and I did not feel comfortable trusting Tesla that the price would not increase substantially. Tesla has a poor history of changing prices on a whim.
would you agree that max risk is $1500 removal? or the price of panels etc.

Im thinking about doing this. I don't own the home, but long time renter and will stay here a while. I'll make a deal most likely with the owner (I'm sure the owner has to make the contract) that i'll put 1500$ in an account for them to have if we leave.

That said, here in the bay area, I pay between 120-240$ a month overall and we RARELY use more than about 2-2.5KW per hour. That is with the heating FAN running (heat produced by NG) or with a free standing AC in the summer time about 25-30 afternoons and early evenings a year. So, daily I imagine I could produce enough surplus kWh to have for the limited night AC or standing heater both of which use only 750-1000w per hour max. The rest of the time we use about 350-500w per hour.

For the 65$ a month (sure this is probably a teaser or loss leading rate for Tesla to get as MANY installs as possible before the end of the year when the 30% federal tax credit GOES DOWN). Get the stuff in and installed and book the higher deduction.

then, come next year they will probably jack up the price to 80$ a month for the smaller system, and over time it will be probably closer to my regular monthly - but it will be all clean energy.

I can still probably charge the M3 at home during days, when either away or over several days since there probably is only about 6-8 kWH of surplus per day. That would take 10 day to fill the M3.

It's a pretty decent model and short of someone buying and being able to take the full federal tax deduction it's probably the best LEASE/RENT model there is... but count on it either going away or changing come 2020.

Do you know your estimated production and expected price per kWh? About 15000 kWh and $0.156/kWh?

I think these systems cost less to rent in Colorado. Here in California Tesla can charge more money because the rates are much higher.

This is what it looks like for me. The top section is not as accurate as the bottom section. The bottom section takes into account my estimated production based on my home address, my SDG&E rates under TOU5. The SAVINGS / MO is taking into consideration the $195 cost.

upload_2019-8-25_17-21-1.png