Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MY Longe Range Increased Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone has noticed but Tesla is selling the MY LR in Europe with what looks to be a bigger battery pack! The range is 600km (372miles WLTP). The UK version is only 331 WLTP???

IMG_6737.png

As mentioned above.
Trazione posteriore = RWD
If you look at the 3rd option "Trazione integrale", AWD, it's still 533 kms, our 331 miles WLTP.

So they just did a RWD LR variant
So basically, if you’re willing to forgo a little bit of speed you get the extra range? Seems like a no brainer for all those who have ‘range anxiety’ about buying electric. I wonder why it’s not available in the UK.

So basically, if you’re willing to forgo a little bit of speed you get the extra range? Seems like a no brainer for all those who have ‘range anxiety’ about buying electric. I wonder why it’s not available in the UK.
The short answer would be they get their cars from a different factory and the one in China does not make that variant of the MY as far as we know. That does of course then beg the question of why do they not make that variant in China. I agree it would be pretty popular if the price was right.

Well, the difference is All Wheel Drive, so not just the speed but the general handling, Wet, Mud & Snow capabilities, etc...
I'm still surprised it's a 12%+ improvement on range, as the AWD is supposed to be intelligently switching between Rear/Front to maximise range. Can't be just the weight of the additional electric motor can it? And in that case I would welcome a on/off toggle in my AWD to chose whether to maximise range or improve traction.

The short answer would be they get their cars from a different factory and the one in China does not make that variant of the MY as far as we know. That does of course then beg the question of why do they not make that variant in China. I agree it would be pretty popular if the price was right.
Actually as OP made me play with Tesla configurator, a bigger discovery is that the MY is available to order in the UK in... Quicksilver!!
Which suggest the UK RHD version may be coming from Berlin Gigafactory now?? That would be news!

Well, the difference is All Wheel Drive, so not just the speed but the general handling, Wet, Mud & Snow capabilities, etc...
I'm still surprised it's a 12%+ improvement on range, as the AWD is supposed to be intelligently switching between Rear/Front to maximise range. Can't be just the weight of the additional electric motor can it? And in that case I would welcome a on/off toggle in my AWD to chose whether to maximise range or improve traction.

Actually as OP made me play with Tesla configurator, a bigger discovery is that the MY is available to order in the UK in... Quicksilver!!
Which suggest the UK RHD version may be coming from Berlin Gigafactory now?? That would be news!
China has had Quicksilver for a few months now and they have 6 colours available (Pearl White, Ultra Red, Stealth Grey, Blue, Black, QuickSilver).

TOUK seem to think our cars are still Chinese despite now having the same colour pallette as Berlin cars and we haven't gained any of the other China MY improvements either like the wheels or interior lights. This doesn't quite make sense to me but I guess only time will tell as the new colours aren't due until June.

China has had Quicksilver for a few months now and they have 6 colours available (Pearl White, Ultra Red, Stealth Grey, Blue, Black, QuickSilver).

TOUK seem to think our cars are still Chinese despite now having the same colour pallette as Berlin cars and we haven't gained any of the other China MY improvements either like the wheels or interior lights. This doesn't quite make sense to me but I guess only time will tell as the new colours aren't due until June.
Oh I missed that news then (and haven't yet seen a quicksilver MY in the UK).
Funny because Quicksilver was initially touted by Elon as only made possible thanks to Giga Berlin "most advanced paintshop in the world".

But it doesn't have Cherry Red which is also now available in the UK - this has been discussed on another thread, where it does appear the UK will start to get MY from Berlin - it is somewhat confirmed as someone in Ireland was told by Tesla their MY would come from Germany.

Those two new colours have a longer delivery estimate, indicating that RHD production hasn't started just yet.

I must admit I also find this confusing. The AWD cars have an induction front motor and a permanent magnet rear motor. The reason for the induction motor up front is while a little less efficient when in use they can be turned off and have very little impact vs just a rear wheel drive car. There is still some minor friction and of course the added weight but that’s it.

This is why on a run, a LR can get a watt hours per mile figure close to a RWD. The difference is mainly just the dropped weight from a smaller battery and the weight of the extra motor.

However here you’d have the same weight for the battery assuming it’s the same one as the LR. So that efficiency improvement is all from removing the front motor. Must be more to it and a more efficient single motor also?

Reactions: WllXM