Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My best friend has been saying I'm obsessed with Tesla. So, we two third year engineering students left the NSSB (ASCE competition we build bridges and load them, Google it) yesterday to kill time before the banquet. We went to the most obvious place we could think of, the KC Tesla store. After a ride in the P85D he can't quit talking about the car.

Fast forward to after the banquet and with a third engineer in the car, we come upon a dead '13 Porsche 911 in the garage. After failing to jumpstart the car (mechanical fault), I ask my smiling friends, "are you thinking about the Tesla?" without pause, the 911 owner said, "I test drove one the other day." and we had a 10 minute conversation. We think he's a future Tesla owner.

At the end of the talk, he asks, "how do you three know so much?" To which we replied in unison, "we're engineers."

Here's a group text with a few members here. I never dipped the jambs burnt copper so the guy thought I had an incomplete paint job. As u can see from my first reply I didn't catch on to what I said was in my front. Spacing is everything.
IMG_4900 2.PNG

When I drove to our local Hospital to pick up my wife (she's a physician there) I couldn't get into the doctor's parking lot since I don't have a key card. The most convenient place to park was next to the ER but in one of the empty "Emergency Vehicle Parking Only" parking spots.
After waiting for her for about 5 minutes I notice 3 uniformed security guards in my rear view mirror coming over to the car. Fearing the worse I prepared my apology.
"Sorry, I was waiting for my wife. I'll park it somewhere else right away".

One guard replied " Yes, Go park it in my driveway and leave the key in it".

Relieved they just wanted to check out the car I gave them a 10 min tour of the features. Tesla smiles all around.

John

Great story. I work in an ER and all the security guards know me because of the Model S. Some of them will always say "Doc, no need to park the car. I'd be happy to valet it for you!" I always laugh! Would be great little perk to the job!

Here's a group text with a few members here. I never dipped the jambs burnt copper so the guy thought I had an incomplete paint job. As u can see from my first reply I didn't catch on to what I said was in my front. Spacing is everything. View attachment 82289
Another example of how important things like commas and hyphens can be. I nearly spit out my water when I got that text yesterday!

Just came from a check-up at the dentist's.
While the tech is cleaning my teeth a horn goes off outside. It doesn't sound like a car alarm because it's too unevenly spaced. The tech starts to get agitated and gets up to look out the window. She explains that her doggie day-care appointment fell through this morning so she has her dog in her new car with the A/C on/windows part down, so I'm guessing he's in the front seat with his paws on the steering wheel.
I tell her that she should have gotten an electric car like me and she wouldn't have to worry about leaving it running. She says they looked at electrics and liked the Tesla but her husband didn't want to take the plunge yet. Then I produce my key fob and she says that she's jealous; she thinks her husband wanted to wait until it was time to trade HIS car in. She asks how I like it and what it's cost to run and I tell her it's been the best car I've owned and I spent $100 on electricity for 20,000 miles my first year. When I was leaving I told her to have her husband call me for additional persuasion. She talked about it being a few years so maybe they'll be Model 3 customers.

My first Tesla moment happened 5 days before delivery.

The electricians were installing the 14-50 outlet in my garage. After completing the job, the electrician asked what kind of car we were getting. I told them that it was a Tesla Model S. The apprentice -- who'd been there the whole while helping to run the conduit, pull the wire, mount the outlet, everything -- then asked me if that was the new electric one. I wasn't quite sure how to respond at first, but managed a quick "yes" without shaking my head once.

Picked up my CPO P85 Signature last Thursday.

Since then, have had 4 separate Tesla moments:

1. Pulling into large parking lot at University of Rhode Island, a family of 5 were crossing on foot in front of me. The two teenage boys spotted the Tesla and started jumping up and down pointing and yelling to their parents....the parents had no idea what they were talking about!

2. Pulled up to a takeout clam shack with a long line in front. At least 6 people interrogated me about the car while in line and several broke out of line to take pictures with their respective partners.

3. A short time later, the car next to me at a stop light rolled down the window and asked how I like my EV and "how much did it run you?' I replied "a lot!"

4. Stopped by German motors service to make an appointment for my annual service on my Porsche 911, vintage 1987. Owner and mechanics all come out to check out the MS. Chief mechanic said that when electric cars take over it will be time for him to die....LOL

Nice moment today:
A patient of mine (I'm a doctor): Did you sell your Tesla? I didn't see it parked outside.
Me: No, my wife rarely let's me borrow it.
Guy: Well I couldn't get one, even though I would love to. I drive all the time to Kristiansandand back in a day (650 km). I can't sleep over there to charge!
I tell him about the Superchargers and show him the EU SC map on the computer screen
Guy: Why don't they tell people about this??? I'm visiting the Tesla store tomorrow!

:)

Nice moment today:
Guy: Why don't they tell people about this??? I'm visiting the Tesla store tomorrow!

:)

Nice! I love it when you can feel someone that's on the fence start to consider a purchase after a "Tesla Moment." I had a similar interaction with a co-worker not too long ago who was interested in Tesla but went with another Jag because he had read about a long wait in order-->delivery. When he found out it was only a couple months (at least mine was) he started running numbers on how he could convince his wife to trade her Lexus for an S. The test drive we took over lunch in my car might have helped spur the decision as well :wink:

Nice! I love it when you can feel someone that's on the fence start to consider a purchase after a "Tesla Moment." I had a similar interaction with a co-worker not too long ago who was interested in Tesla but went with another Jag because he had read about a long wait in order-->delivery. When he found out it was only a couple months (at least mine was) he started running numbers on how he could convince his wife to trade her Lexus for an S. The test drive we took over lunch in my car might have helped spur the decision as well :wink:

In anticipation of this, I stopped by my local Tesla store and picked up some business cards of the local sales team. I'm happy to report that in 10 days, I've had 3 chances to hand them out! :) At the very least, it gets people interested in it if there is a follow up conversation about the car.

I have made so many "demo trips" with my car, I cannot even remember which colleagues I took for a ride. So now I started writing down who tried it, as my main "Tesla Moment" is when someone says "but you showed it to me already".

On one hand I don't like to brag about the car, on the other hand, I want more people to know about EVs and Tesla Motors. And of course, buy one! So instead of saying "Do you know I have a Model S?" I say something like "It's great I can charge my car for free at the company parking lot". That will quickly show if they are interested in EVs or not.

In Hong Kong, the community calls me "Tesla Motors, head of Sales, Hong Kong". Not sure why, as I am not employed by Tesla Motors :p

In Hong Kong, the community calls me "Tesla Motors, head of Sales, Hong Kong". Not sure why, as I am not employed by Tesla Motors :p
When the local Tesla gang attends a car show/meet up, we refer to people looking at our cars as "customers" amongst each other, and excuse ourselves from our conversations with each other to go talk to them. The other day at just such an event, we were off standing in some shade, when we realized we were acting very car salesman-y, watching from a distance and hurrying over to talk Tesla!

When the local Tesla gang attends a car show/meet up, we refer to people looking at our cars as "customers" amongst each other, and excuse ourselves from our conversations with each other to go talk to them. The other day at just such an event, we were off standing in some shade, when we realized we were acting very car salesman-y, watching from a distance and hurrying over to talk Tesla!

This is gold, I can so much relate to this!

Although in general, I don't consider myself a good salesman (I'm not good at lying haha!).

For the Model S, there is no need to lie. I just say if you wreck it it costs quite a bit to have it fixed. Apart from that, and the sticker price, the rest of the costs are quite low and predictable.

We didn't speak of other people as "customers", but I really like it.

On June 14th, we are part of an event in Hong Kong, about EVs, see Charged Hong Kong | Hong Kong Electric Vehicle Association

NOTE: That's me on the front page. And no, I am not a sports fisherman bragging about a sea bass, this is my "The motor is about the size of a large watermelon" visual.

Driving home tonight I passed an older couple on a bench in this little 25 mph zone. The gentlemen holds up a hand to shush his wife's banter as his head tracks me with this dreamy look on his face as I glide by. I had to laugh to myself, I would swear his eyes were like saucers. I like to believe he is, like myself, a long time gear head who has become fascinated by what Elon has accomplished.

Driving home tonight I passed an older couple on a bench in this little 25 mph zone. The gentlemen holds up a hand to shush his wife's banter as his head tracks me with this dreamy look on his face as I glide by. I had to laugh to myself, I would swear his eyes were like saucers. I like to believe he is, like myself, a long time gear head who has become fascinated by what Elon has accomplished.
Schedule willing, this is a great opportunity to pull off to the shoulder and offer him a ride. :)

Schedule willing, this is a great opportunity to pull off to the shoulder and offer him a ride. :)

True, a lost opportunity in this case :-/ but the day before I had to do the the tour for some folks from another company site including a ride and just had two of the "how much range do you get" conversations before leaving work so combined with the Monday/Tuesday side conversations I think I made a good effort at my pitch quota for the week. I'm more the pre-sales engineer than the sales/marketing type. :cool:

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I took my Roadster to a local car show. For those of you who aren't familiar with these small-town car shows. . . They're mostly classic/antique cars and hot rods, but just about anything and everything will turn up: exotics, military vehicles, tractors, rice rockets, rusty VW beetles. . . So, I thought this would be a good opportunity to parade the car a bit, and maybe educate some folks. It was fun. I learned some lessons, though:

Lesson 1: Use sunblock, even if you plan to stay in the shade most of the time. UV rays go everywhere!

Lesson 2: Next time I need to make up some kind of informational flyer to put on the window, like a FAQ list. Some people were quite interested and excited about the car. There were also a lot who had no idea what it was.

The funniest moment for me was when grade school aged boy went up to the car, peered into the cabin, and then turned to leave, declaring loudly that it was "not sporty enough to have paddle shifters!"

I wholeheartedly agree with Tony above. Pasty-white me didn't think that I would be outside long enough. Also, it was an overcast day. Guess what? Overcast burns even worse!

The FAQ sheet is cool and I've been meaning to put one together. It is always fun, however, to watch people who don't know what a Tesla is try to find the engine.