Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model s rear suspension leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes indeed, I am going to replace it but being a long weekend here (Patriot day), I will have to wait until Tuesday to order as we do not have fast shipping In my area. Like you said, just as an experiment.

I am however curious for the red icon as I hear no sound from the compressor whatsoever now. I even applied an update right after changing tire size once more and red icon still there and no sound. It’s not even trying.

In any case there is going to be a new compressor for sure.

I am also curious as to what appears to be an 18 inch curved air intake hose with a filter type bulge that connects to the bottom of the compressor: is that where the desiccant filters/dries the humidity before going in the system(I don’t have a picture as I reinstalled the tub last night until I get the new compressor).

I just reached the parts department at Tesla and they sell it 1104$ canadian $ (exchange rate with US$ is about 30% right now) which is way too expensive. On Amazon, they have one that fits and is 389$ including shipping (same compressor as on a Jeep but confirmed to fit my Tesla). It’s a Ruilib with a part number 68041137AC.

There is also the used market which could be about 250$.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

thanks, would you go used or brand new ? I'm more inclined to new because of the humidity problem. I'm asking because I might have a cheaper one used than the one I refered to above to resolve my Air Suspension error - EAS_w007 problem

thanks, would you go used or brand new ? I'm more inclined to new because of the humidity problem. I'm asking because I might have a cheaper one used than the one I refered to above to resolve my Air Suspension error - EAS_w007 problem
In your shoes, I would probably do enough research to assure myself that Arnott is reliable, and then I would probably go with new Arnott.

Would def not go with the Jeep equivalent. I went down that path and two failed units within a couple months later I hit the bullet and went OEM. So for me, I’d buy used OEM before I went rebuilt Jeep.
You already checked the 40A main power box fuse? Software reset won’t do it sometimes. Disconnect battery and/or Fireman’s loop.

If it would not have come from you, I would probably pass but I do trust your recommendation

In your shoes, I would try to confirm from others on this forum with direct experience that Arnott is a viable option for the air suspension compressor. There seem to be plenty of ppl who have used the Arnott air struts as replacements, and air strut replacement is in fact how I learned about this brand with my old car (Mercedes). I checked Rock Auto (more reliable than Amazon for brand selection), and they sell the Arnott as their aftermarket replacement compressor for the older Tesla S models.

But just to be clear - I have not replaced my own compressor with Arnott, I'm just speaking to overall brand reliability.

Thanks once more for the detailed recommendation. As far as the red icon, at the outset, I did disconnect the 12v and fireman's loop as I had not thought of the jumper route. So that did not make reset the red icon. In any case, I'll replace the compressor and we'll see if it goes away. What worries me a bit is if I put an after market and the red icon stays lit and I have to go to Tesla, will they refuse to look at it...?

Thanks once more for the detailed recommendation. As far as the red icon, at the outset, I did disconnect the 12v and fireman's loop as I had not thought of the jumper route. So that did not make reset the red icon. In any case, I'll replace the compressor and we'll see if it goes away. What worries me a bit is if I put an after market and the red icon stays lit and I have to go to Tesla, will they refuse to look at it...?
First try driving around a bit after you seal the crack or replace the compressor if the icon is still on. That has also worked for me. If you do take it to the SC, you can just pay for a suspension calibration which is cheap and includes clearing of all stored SAS codes. They did that for me when I had the remanufactured Jeep/Audi unit in.

Great to know, thanks again. Will keep you posted when the stores reopen on tuesday. Have a great sunday :))

Also, I looked at all my photos and found one in which the part connecting to the compressor that intrigues me is well shown. What is the purpose of that part ?

Attachments

• eas_photo_15.jpg
    eas_photo_15.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 150
Isn't life interesting,I should say life in a 2013 Tesla : when I wrote my previous post about that picture of the hose and wishing you all a nice Sunday, we were getting ready to go to church. At the end of the street I told my wife "I think the suspension is ok". So I looked for the red icon(the way my driving position is setup I do not see the alerts nor the high beams icons) : It' not there anymore!! So I get out of the car to check my wheels' torque with my good old SnapOn torque tool ( a good habit to have after playing aroud with the wheels), and voilà, the suspension is ok. That's with no glue, no replacement, nada! I tell you, it's a never ending ride :))

Isn't life interesting,I should say life in a 2013 Tesla : when I wrote my previous post about that picture of the hose and wishing you all a nice Sunday, we were getting ready to go to church. At the end of the street I told my wife "I think the suspension is ok". So I looked for the red icon(the way my driving position is setup I do not see the alerts nor the high beams icons) : It' not there anymore!! So I get out of the car to check my wheels' torque with my good old SnapOn torque tool ( a good habit to have after playing aroud with the wheels), and voilà, the suspension is ok. That's with no glue, no replacement, nada! I tell you, it's a never ending ride :))
Yay! The SAS system was overall is just finicky. Too much so for my taste. However, you already know you have a real issue with air loss so this “all good” status may be temporary. Good that you’re willing to dig in and figure things out.

Haha, indeed, right after mass, the red icon was back but the four wheels stayed level.

I had disabled the low ride mode below 80 km/h (50mph) this morning after retorquing the wheels and, that might have helped not loosing the air already in the shocks (previously, since installing N2itive toe and camber arms, I activated low suspension mode as I appreciate very much my rwd S road manners in that mode but kept from doing that before N2itive arms as my tires would wear on the inside in the rear). I also heard, on the way back, the air compressor cycle for a few seconds even though the red icon was light : nice !

I also checked if there was an alert about the eas (electronic air suspension) by entering service mode and there was no alert for the air suspension but a few other ones. If you do not mind, I'd like to bring them up on this thread as you might have had these issues. The idea is that if I have to order some parts for those at the same time I order the compressor, I will save on shipping (I looked up the THC alerts and just found one thread about it that suggest ignoring it but at the same time, my cooling louvers do not open when I supercharge or when I plug my car with our HPWC) :

Active alerts
THC_w0135_sanityRadRightShutr
THC_w0134_radRightShutrNoFeedbk
THC_w0131_sanityRadLeftShutr
THC_w0130_radLeftShutrNoFeedbk
THC_w0122_condLeftShutrNoFeedbk
Recent Alerts
EPAS_d076_KFC_DAS_TIMO
ESP_d133_acmVsSignalPlaus
THC_d0018_activeAero
TMC_w0176_MCUCanTmo

Attachments

• eas_photo_16.jpg
    eas_photo_16.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 69
Haha, indeed, right after mass, the red icon was back but the four wheels stayed level.

I had disabled the low ride mode below 80 km/h (50mph) this morning after retorquing the wheels and, that might have helped not loosing the air already in the shocks (previously, since installing N2itive toe and camber arms, I activated low suspension mode as I appreciate very much my rwd S road manners in that mode but kept from doing that before N2itive arms as my tires would wear on the inside in the rear). I also heard, on the way back, the air compressor cycle for a few seconds even though the red icon was light : nice !

I also checked if there was an alert about the eas (electronic air suspension) by entering service mode and there was no alert for the air suspension but a few other ones. If you do not mind, I'd like to bring them up on this thread as you might have had these issues. The idea is that if I have to order some parts for those at the same time I order the compressor, I will save on shipping (I looked up the THC alerts and just found one thread about it that suggest ignoring it but at the same time, my cooling louvers do not open when I supercharge or when I plug my car with our HPWC) :

Active alerts
THC_w0135_sanityRadRightShutr
THC_w0134_radRightShutrNoFeedbk
THC_w0131_sanityRadLeftShutr
THC_w0130_radLeftShutrNoFeedbk
THC_w0122_condLeftShutrNoFeedbk
Recent Alerts
EPAS_d076_KFC_DAS_TIMO
ESP_d133_acmVsSignalPlaus
THC_d0018_activeAero
TMC_w0176_MCUCanTmo
You apparently didn’t go to Confession or fell asleep during the sermon so the red icon was your punishment. 😀
Only thing I recognize from your alert list is the cooling louvres. I recall others having those errors before without much consequence. Easy check to see if they work still is to Supercharge on a hot day and/or low SoC. Louvres should open under those conditions.

Haha, first Saturday of the month or more often if necessary helps a lot. Maybe I am missing some. Thanks for the hint :)

As far as the louvers, let's say they need changing (can you believe this : during an appointment last year at about this time, I asked the billing advisor at Tesla to check for my louvers not opening. It was a Friday and unfortunately, I was the last customer they served and when I got the bill, I was charged 200$ for a thermal test which I found that I could do by myself in service mode. When I asked if they fixed the louvers, she said "we did not have time to go further"! Never herd back from them. What a joke !). I just found 2 posts on it (funny that yesterday I looked all over the place with my error codes but only found one very vague thread about it but today found two great ones so I'll dig into that. I just do not like to replace parts for fun. From briefly reading them, all that is needed, if they are kaput, is to change the ventilators. Is that your take too ?

Hi, bought a used one from a 2016 for 400$ Canadian including shipping. Will have it in one or two days. Arnott was 962$ so almost the same price as Tesla's. Funny how if I bought 120 new compressors, I'd have paid as much as a new 2023 Tesla Canadian pricing for an S ! Will keep you all posted. Thanks once more for taking time to share your expertise with me. Have a wonderful day!