Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean greater than $5000 or less than? And where did you see this? I don't believe Tesla announced any option prices for Model 3 yet.

Less than $5k for sure. I saw it in the updated S vs 3 table somewhere on the web yesterday or just the other day.

It listed options for the S like SAS and the HEPA filter, I forgot the prices for.

Edit: tried to look for it but can't find the webpage that posted the table.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
It's still $5000 for the S. Nothing has changed yet.
I'm just saying, given the conversation went like the below, the AWD option on the Model 3 can very well be $5000 or even a bit more and still be consistent with the "less" statement. This is different from a statement saying the Model 3 AWD option will be less than $5000.

@AlexBelohlavek
~5k upgrade like on model s for dual motor? Or less since overall cost is lower?
@elonmusk
less

I'm just saying, given the conversation went like the below, the AWD option on the Model 3 can very well be $5000 or even a bit more and still be consistent with the "less" statement. This is different from a statement saying the Model 3 AWD option will be less than $5000.

@AlexBelohlavek
~5k upgrade like on model s for dual motor? Or less since overall cost is lower?
@elonmusk
less
Knowing Elon, I'm fairly positive it's the mathematical < $5000 not <= $5000 and not > $5000

Note the price for the Model S upgrade is exactly $5000. Might be looking into the tilda too much.

Knowing Elon, I'm fairly positive it's the mathematical < $5000 not <= $5000 and not > $5000

Note the price for the Model S upgrade is exactly $5000. Might be looking into the tilda too much.
Well, you can break the statement into two parts:
1) less than ~5k
2) less than model s upgrade for dual motor (price/bundle might change by the time Model 3 is out).

Yes, it's fairly likely Elon meant less than $5k, but you can't be for certain given how it's worded. Again, it's quite different than if Tesla released a spec sheet that outright said that the AWD option would be less than $5k.

Sorry, I just nitpick things like this, because they can end up being misleading without the context.

No, I'm not talking about simple cross shopping, I'm talking about how people pretty much know what to expect between the different BMW models, given they have been out for decades. Not the case for Model 3.

Haven't seriously looked to buy a BMW, I know the three is their smallest car, 5 is the middle, 7 is the biggest, M series is performance. I've sat it a couple 3 series and a 7 as a passenger. I certainly haven't refreshed 3 BMW sites/forums, plus the BMW reedit page, multiple times a day + watched way to many youtube videos and reviews about them & memorized most of their specs over the last year the way I have for this Model 3.

Reactions: SageBrush
Haven't seriously looked to buy a BMW, I know the three is their smallest car, 5 is the middle, 7 is the biggest, M series is performance. I've sat it a couple 3 series and a 7 as a passenger. I certainly haven't refreshed 3 BMW sites/forums, plus the BMW reedit page, multiple times a day + watched way to many youtube videos and reviews about them & memorized most of their specs over the last year the way I have for this Model 3.
Well, we are a different crowd than what the sell sheet is targeting at. It's targeted at those that may not have followed all Model 3 (including gen 3) news. For example, just from the other thread, there are people that didn't even know that Model 3 would use drastically more steel than Model S (which used barely any).

There was the 1 series, which is now the 2 series which is smaller than the 3 series. You forgot the 4 and 6 series :p You want a M3 coupe, well that's now a M4. Makes sense right? :p I think BMW's numbering has gotten little out of hand.

Well, we are a different crowd than what the sell sheet is targeting at. It's targeted at those that may not have followed all Model 3 (including gen 3) news. For example, just from the other thread, there are people that didn't even know that Model 3 would use drastically more steel than Model S (which used barely any).
probably those people don't know that MS doesn't use much steel, either. I don't think those people would care about aluminum vs steel one way or the other

Interesting news ... more product differentiation with the Model 3 specs :cool:
Tesla introduces new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X

Tesla has updated its vehicle lineup last night to introduce new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X – making the non-performance versions of both vehicles significantly quicker from a standstill. Here we take a quick look at the updated features: The improvements are more significant for the base versions of the Model S. The Model S 75 and its dual motor version are both gaining a full second of acceleration from 0 to 60 mph:
  • Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
As for the more recent Model S 100D, it’s also seeing a slight improvement in acceleration:
  • Model S 100D: 4.1 seconds down from 4.2 seconds
Interestingly, those upgrades are also coming just ahead of the launch of the Model 3 and since they are most important on the base versions of the vehicles, it looks like Tesla might be looking to further differentiate its higher-end models, Model S and Model X, with its newest less expensive Model 3.

Interesting news ... more product differentiation with the Model 3 specs :cool:
Tesla introduces new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X

Tesla has updated its vehicle lineup last night to introduce new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X – making the non-performance versions of both vehicles significantly quicker from a standstill. Here we take a quick look at the updated features: The improvements are more significant for the base versions of the Model S. The Model S 75 and its dual motor version are both gaining a full second of acceleration from 0 to 60 mph:
  • Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
As for the more recent Model S 100D, it’s also seeing a slight improvement in acceleration:
  • Model S 100D: 4.1 seconds down from 4.2 seconds
Interestingly, those upgrades are also coming just ahead of the launch of the Model 3 and since they are most important on the base versions of the vehicles, it looks like Tesla might be looking to further differentiate its higher-end models, Model S and Model X, with its newest less expensive Model 3.

FYI that's for new cars only as it's a hardware change as well as software

FYI that's for new cars only as it's a hardware change as well as software

Correct ... Without going into details, a Tesla spokesperson confirmed to Electrek that they are rolling out new software and hardware improvements that are enabling those performance enhancements.

Since the enhancements include hardware upgrades, those new specs are for new vehicles being built today and not the current fleet.