Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 RWD LR Trade in BMW X5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Motors Club Member. Want to keep this post simple. I trade in my BMW X5 2016 for a 2018 Model 3 Long range RWD, amazing car. I live in NYC I will solely depend on superchargers in area. I have attempted to park my vehicle and charge it in the garage of my building but owner doesnt want to. They think charging vehicle will cost them ton of money on electric bill & is going to be a headche. I am planning to charge my Vehicle about 1 time a week at a supercharger. Now I want to tint my cAr any reputable shop in the tri state area. Thank you. Is my car really going to take a toll on the battery ?

Paul,

Welcome to the Tesla fam! Congrats on your conversion from ze-Germans haha.

Ideally you should charge from 220v instead of Supercharging. Supercharging will shorten the lifespan of the battery if done more often. However, I don't know of any statistical data to reference on exactly how much high speed charging reduces the battery life...especially with the Model 3's new 21700 battery chemistry.

There are a few Taxi services that have data on Model S fleet vehicles that supercharge nearly exclusively. They're still getting like...200-300k miles on a battery before swapping. That's pretty good imo.

. I have attempted to park my vehicle and charge it in the garage of my building but owner doesnt want to. They think charging vehicle will cost them ton of money on electric bill & is going to be a headche.

You should try to engage with the owner again.

Having EV charging available will make their building more attractive to other Tesla owners - an EXCELLENT demographic to rent to. They will have higher than average income for starters. Look at the businesses that have chosen to add Tesla chargers to their buildings under the Tesla destination program... Those hotels see large increases in traffic, and restaurants at superchargers see significant traffic. Some, such as the Collin Street Bakeries in Texas, offer free coffee or tea to induce the Tesla people to come in, and they invariably purchase something while inside.

Plus, since this will be a great convenience for you, perhaps YOU could offer to pay for the charger, and a set cost of electricity per month if he will cover the electrician. The electrical cost isn't huge, and many chargers will actually calculate the usage and cost. I use the Chargepoint Home, and my app instantly reports my usage on a day to day, and monthly, basis,. You could offer to pay the actual cost shown on the Chargepoint app if nobody else is using the charger.