Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awd with white interior. First impressions:

- car is noticeably slower than my friend’s P
- white seats are awesome looking, but lack of perforation makes my back sweaty even though cabin temp is 65 degrees
- lots of tire noise from 18 inch wheels
- aero wheels look suprisingly good on a white car with white interior
- handles great, though it feels a little rubbery based on 18 inch wheels. 20 inch tires would be noticeable
- car is so common in Bay Area that no one notices it
-

-

This guy apparently has a Youtube channel doing car reviews but has never driven a Tesla of any kind. He just bought a Model 3 Dual Motor with performance upgrades. Skip all the boring stuff at the beginning and move to the 27 minute mark. That's where you see his reaction to the acceleration. Keep watching for a couple minutes to see him prank the camera man.

Took delivery this week of my Model 3. (Long range, Dual motor, Premium)

Literal 1st impressions of the Model 3 after 2 years of Model X, and 1 year of Model S:

+ drive handling is great (better than X and S imo), steering wheel noticeably smaller
+ immediately got used to the single screen
+ like the iphone as key concept, but it has quirks
+ a/c controls are better than I expected
+ i like the center phone console better than the X and S
+ i like the clean look
+ LTE internet connection is faster (maps load much faster than X and S)
+ Can adjust Homelink distance to open/close garage (don't remember seeing this on X or S)
+ Audio sounds better than the X or S (plus immersive sound option)
+ Delivery appointment was fast. Literally out the door in 15 min.

- I do miss the 2nd screen hud (prefer 2 maps at once and backup cam on too)
- right thumb dial doesn't control temperature
- back cupholders are there, but cannot use if 3 rear passengers
- iphone as key doesn't work all the time
- rear backup camera has lower resolution and poorer night vision than S (best) and X
(see my comparison photos here: Rear camera Comparison photo: 3 vs. S vs. X )​
- Black interior was only option when I ordered (would have preferred white, but I couldn't delay my delivery)
- I miss my power liftgate
- The model X spoiled me with automatic door open/close and brakepedal door close
- removed aero covers as soon as I got home (personally don't like appearance at all)​

Last edited:
“Terrible design”...nah...Another example of different strokes for different folks.

In my ~two months of ownership I’ve adjusted the vents maybe 2-3 times....1x in the last month (i.e. since I got the placement right). In the same period I’ve adjusted the side mirrors 2 times and 0 times in the last month.

As an aside, in the car the Model 3 replaced, I adjusted the mirrors maybe 2x a year. I probably adjusted the vents much more than that each month trying to get things just right. I find the Model 3 vent implementation awesome....set it and forget it. For some reason, the temperature variability and air flow is just right regardless of the weather outside.

For what it’s worth, I have 4K miles on the car with rides as short as 3 miles and multiple ~280 mile trips.

I’m with you completely. Since getting my M3 I have come to realize how many dials and buttons on “modern” conventional cars get such little use. Most add complexity and waste space. I’m more aware of this now and prize the minimalist approach. Thanks Elon!

Not that a HUD speedo wouldn’t be nice, but my main first impression concern relates to the temp control interface. The up/down carets are tiny and demand too much precision (read: attention) when driving.

I find that I have to change temp settings to maintain comfort. That’s in South Florida where the temps range from hot in the shade to blistering in direct sun. So it’s not one of those seldom-used controls for me.
How about a simple up or down swipe control instead, active over each temp numeric display? No need to aim for a caret.

Anyway, on a related note, your comments on AC lead me to ask for some help. My AC settings on start up always default to different settings than when I shut down. I set and use the center vents and auto fan. When I restart, My M3 always changes it to footwell vents by default, are these are not our best choice in South Florida.

Do I really have to change AC settings every time I start up or am I missing something?

I have never enjoyed driving a car as much as this one. It’s my portal to the future of transportation. Eliminating switches was a brilliant and bold move towards that future.

Reactions: Nathan
I’m with you completely. Since getting my M3 I have come to realize how many dials and buttons on “modern” conventional cars get such little use. Most add complexity and waste space. I’m more aware of this now and prize the minimalist approach. Thanks Elon!

Not that a HUD speedo wouldn’t be nice, but my main first impression concern relates to the temp control interface. The up/down carets are tiny and demand too much precision (read: attention) when driving.

I find that I have to change temp settings to maintain comfort. That’s in South Florida where the temps range from hot in the shade to blistering in direct sun. So it’s not one of those seldom-used controls for me.
How about a simple up or down swipe control instead, active over each temp numeric display? No need to aim for a caret.

Anyway, on a related note, your comments on AC lead me to ask for some help. My AC settings on start up always default to different settings than when I shut down. I set and use the center vents and auto fan. When I restart, My M3 always changes it to footwell vents by default, are these are not our best choice in South Florida.

Do I really have to change AC settings every time I start up or am I missing something?

I have never enjoyed driving a car as much as this one. It’s my portal to the future of transportation. Eliminating switches was a brilliant and bold move towards that future.

I will take a look at the AC controls and venting the next couple of times I get into the car. I literally have not changed anything (location, footwell, upper body, etc) since I got it figured out some time ago. The car seems to have saved or maintained the last setting as expected.

It’s been a week and there’s only a limited amount of information about the production Model 3 to be had. The awesome TMC Staff compiled this blog roundup of reviews right after the event (Model 3 Test Drive Review Roundup), but I only found it by searching the forum – it’s not on the Model 3 thread page. Below is a list of more reading for those of us who are starving for info on this car. There are also several YouTube videos by Bjorn and KMan that are informative.

Tesla Model 3 review: first drive of Elon Musk’s affordable EV
Tesla Model 3 review: first drive of Elon Musk's affordable EV

A closer look at Tesla Model 3's spartan interior. And how it compares to the screen in the Model S A closer look at Tesla Model 3's spartan interior

Tesla Model 3 first drive: this is the car that Elon Musk promised.
Tesla Model 3 first drive: this is the car that Elon Musk promised

These 3 Bloomberg articles are quite good:

Tesla’s Model 3 Arrives With a Surprise 310-Mile Range: Elon Musk finally unveils the long-awaited electric car for the masses.
Tesla’s Model 3 Arrives With a Surprise 310-Mile Range

Driving Tesla’s Model 3 Changes Everything: We took one out for a spin, and have little doubt the age of electric cars has arrived.
Driving Tesla’s Model 3 Changes Everything

Camper Mode? I Went Camping in the Trunk of a $145,000 Tesla

2017 Tesla Model 3: Everything We Know: Attempting to bring the EV to the masses.
2018 Tesla Model 3: Everything We Know | Feature | Car and Driver

Tesla Model 3 is well worth the hype
Tesla Model 3 is well worth the hype

Tesla Model 3 quick drive review
Tesla Model 3 quick drive review | CarAdvice

Here’s What Reviewers Think About Tesla’s Model 3 So Far
Here’s What Reviewers Think About Tesla’s Model 3 So Far

All the things the Internet hates about the Tesla Model 3 have me excited

All the things the Internet hates about the Tesla Model 3 have me excited

Driving a Tesla Model 3 is pretty damn awesome
Driving a Tesla Model 3 is pretty damn awesome

Your smartphone is the key for the Tesla Model 3
Your smartphone is the key for the Tesla Model 3

Yes, this post is a lazy mess, but I'm out of practice. Is it sticky worthy?

Are the settings tied to your profile?

Here is a first drive review on behalf of my lovely wife.

We took delivery of our dual motor non-P Model 3 two days ago during the big end-of-the-quarter push. (If you're wondering, other than a small paint chip and another small scratch on the bumper which Tesla said they'd fix, no problem, the car is absolutely perfect - no fit/finish issues at all). We chose the dual motor option because (a) we live in Colorado and sometimes need AWD, and (b) we really don't need a performance car and didn't want to spend the extra money. This whole experience was the culmination of her telling me 3 years ago that I needed a new car after my old Subaru left her stranded on a busy road (alternator failure).

I have done my best sales job on my wife over the past 2.5 years (we were a 4/3/16 reservation holder), and she reluctantly went along with my plan to get this car, although all along the way she would have preferred I just go get a new Subaru or some other practical AWD vehicle. The expected safety of the car helped a lot, and the recent 5-star NHTSA ratings sealed the deal.

Interestingly, in an earlier profession of hers, she was trained in advanced driving techniques, and she is a skilled driver (I'll leave it at that, because she doesn't like to talk about it). But she's been a stay-at-home mom for 10 years, and her priorities have shifted elsewhere. At this point in her life she is generally not interested in cars except to get from point A to point B. In fact, she had no interest in test driving the Model 3 before we bought it - just kind of dismissed it as "this is your thing"; I'm an engineer and have of course been enamored with the technology in Tesla vehicles. Over the past 2.5 years she did hear from me at strategic moments all the awesome things about the car, and she got kind of tired about hearing about it after a while so I toned it down in recent days.

The morning after we took delivery of the car, after the kids were all at school, she said "OK, I guess I need to learn how to drive this thing, let's go". So we spent ten minutes in the driveway going over the basics, and then we headed out into the neighborhood with her behind the wheel. As we drove through the neighborhood, I watched her perplexed expression as her brain started adapting to the regenerative braking feel, which I had previously explained to her. It actually took her all of about 2 blocks to figure it out (a lot quicker than me). As we got closer to the large divided highway that borders our subdivision, she started getting more aggressive with the vehicle, punching it crisply into the back half of turns and using the regen to control her speed along the narrow, curving streets. Her first comment was "THIS... is brilliant". I said "this, what?" She said "this not-using-the-brake thing".

When we approached the highway, I told her, "now after you turn on the highway, you have to floor it - just once, so you can see what it can do". So with no cars approaching, she turned onto the highway, opened up the throttle, and we were instantly thrown back into our seats as the car launched itself seemingly into oblivion. Watching her expression the whole time, what I saw was a look of astonishment that I have rarely seen followed by her mouthing the word "f***" under her breath followed a few seconds later by a wry, sinister smile.

And now I have a problem, because I didn't see the car the rest of the day.

P3D owner.

Mountains of Colorado.

I can't believe I'm doing this, talking to people who aren't in the room. I think social media is a social disease. If I post more than 5 times, flame me.

I've had Audi's for years - 02 TT, 05 S4, 06 S6 Avant, 012 A7 with Stage 4 tune.

I sold my A7 to get our Tesla.

Tesla clearly understands car guys. The P3D is an ode to my "S" cars, that was the hook for me. I'm a car guy. Rear badges matter. Red brakes matter. Although after I took my A7 to Stage 4, I took off all the badges on it.

The A7 feels like a car from the dark ages.

By far and away, the best car I’ve owned.

Seats are super comfy. Way better than the Napa in my S4, which were the best seats I've ever been in, in any car.

Best factory sound system I've heard. It’s better than my A7 that I had custom work done. Great bass, great highs and lows. Big surprise. Usually the sound system in a factory car is a big disappointment. No changes needed.

I'm 6'1, 193 after breakfast. It’s not too small for me. In fact it feels just right. My A7 felt a little big.

Bonus is that 19” snow tires can go on the rims - or so they say.

The minimalist feels right. All my other interiors feel wrong now.

Insurance is .87 less (6 months) than my A7.

Now I’m not so sure about wanting an S. Although I do like the extra space, would like a roof rack.

I'd hoped charging would be better, oh well. I can make it from our house to Denver, 144 miles, on 80% charge. In the Winter I'll charge to 100%.

They didn't do a very good job of detailing the car, they rushed me through. But no different than any other car dealer. In the car business you find a dealer you hate the least.

Yes, I'm on the left - $@# Trump. We have a 10kw Sun Power solar system, now the car. It feels great to do more for Mother Earth.

"Even So", it wasn't about politics. I bought the car because of the numbers. Over 6 years, factoring the Fed and CO $5k rebate, all the other savings, free supercharging and home charging, this car will cost about $4.5k a year. My A7 cost us $11k a year. And, the car will still be worth something. I got nothing for our A7.

We couldn't afford not to buy the car.

Getting Vanity plates. Thought about HIPECAR to match our HIPEVAN, someone else can take that.

Peace and love,
P3D - 1.jpg
P3D - 2.jpg
van - 1.jpg

Still shocked by driving the model 3 for last day of my trip, today’s observation:
Why is this car so damn efficient? Why does it charge faster at lower amperage? how The heck do we get these gains into the model x and s soon?

I'm just learning the ins and outs of the model three, but my understanding is that the rear motor in the AWD version uses a more efficient technology than the AC inverter/Induction approach taken by the front motor in the model three and the motors in the Tesla S. So in that sense it's better efficiency was both a design target for the development team and not something that can be retrofitted to the S or X models – perhaps the next generation of those can incorporate some of the efficiency improvements.

Here is a first drive review on behalf of my lovely wife.

We took delivery of our dual motor non-P Model 3 two days ago during the big end-of-the-quarter push. (If you're wondering, other than a small paint chip and another small scratch on the bumper which Tesla said they'd fix, no problem, the car is absolutely perfect - no fit/finish issues at all). We chose the dual motor option because (a) we live in Colorado and sometimes need AWD, and (b) we really don't need a performance car and didn't want to spend the extra money. This whole experience was the culmination of her telling me 3 years ago that I needed a new car after my old Subaru left her stranded on a busy road (alternator failure).

I have done my best sales job on my wife over the past 2.5 years (we were a 4/3/16 reservation holder), and she reluctantly went along with my plan to get this car, although all along the way she would have preferred I just go get a new Subaru or some other practical AWD vehicle. The expected safety of the car helped a lot, and the recent 5-star NHTSA ratings sealed the deal.

Interestingly, in an earlier profession of hers, she was trained in advanced driving techniques, and she is a skilled driver (I'll leave it at that, because she doesn't like to talk about it). But she's been a stay-at-home mom for 10 years, and her priorities have shifted elsewhere. At this point in her life she is generally not interested in cars except to get from point A to point B. In fact, she had no interest in test driving the Model 3 before we bought it - just kind of dismissed it as "this is your thing"; I'm an engineer and have of course been enamored with the technology in Tesla vehicles. Over the past 2.5 years she did hear from me at strategic moments all the awesome things about the car, and she got kind of tired about hearing about it after a while so I toned it down in recent days.

The morning after we took delivery of the car, after the kids were all at school, she said "OK, I guess I need to learn how to drive this thing, let's go". So we spent ten minutes in the driveway going over the basics, and then we headed out into the neighborhood with her behind the wheel. As we drove through the neighborhood, I watched her perplexed expression as her brain started adapting to the regenerative braking feel, which I had previously explained to her. It actually took her all of about 2 blocks to figure it out (a lot quicker than me). As we got closer to the large divided highway that borders our subdivision, she started getting more aggressive with the vehicle, punching it crisply into the back half of turns and using the regen to control her speed along the narrow, curving streets. Her first comment was "THIS... is brilliant". I said "this, what?" She said "this not-using-the-brake thing".

When we approached the highway, I told her, "now after you turn on the highway, you have to floor it - just once, so you can see what it can do". So with no cars approaching, she turned onto the highway, opened up the throttle, and we were instantly thrown back into our seats as the car launched itself seemingly into oblivion. Watching her expression the whole time, what I saw was a look of astonishment that I have rarely seen followed by her mouthing the word "f***" under her breath followed a few seconds later by a wry, sinister smile.

And now I have a problem, because I didn't see the car the rest of the day.

That's a great account :):). I'm hoping that my wife has a similar reaction after her first drive in the car. She's kind of technophobic/techno-skeptical. She claims that she is a Luddite. The family joke is that she can blow up any technology in short order. She's dropped four cell phones into the toy toy, trashed three laptops (mostly by spilling water, coffee or juice into the keyboards), and one iPod (accidentally hurled against the wall while making the bed). o_Oo_O Her daughter won't let my wife touch her cell phone. Oh, and then there's the time she flashed her Honda keys down the toy toy, bye bye, leading to her needing to get a ride home from 70 miles away.

I on the other hand of course have technophilia. How do the Technophobe and the Technophile find each other? You got me on that one - I suppose a classic instance of opposites attracting. I am of course tasked with the unenviable job of fixing the technology after she's blown it up. It's a full-time job.

I'm just learning the ins and outs of the model three, but my understanding is that the rear motor in the AWD version uses a more efficient technology than the AC inverter/Induction approach taken by the front motor in the model three and the motors in the Tesla S. So in that sense it's better efficiency was both a design target for the development team and not something that can be retrofitted to the S or X models – perhaps the next generation of those can incorporate some of the efficiency improvements.
the car does not charge faster at lower current. you need to switch the display from km to %/wh.

War of the Worlds: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance vs Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE vs Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - Motor Trend

Willow Springs International Raceway
Driver: Randy Franklin Pobst

Model P3D (Track Mode Enabled) - 9.1 lb/hp
1:23.97

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - 7.5 lb/hp
1:22.78

Leaf One tilts toward Tesla: The 505-hp Alfa's 0-60 time is 3.8 seconds; the 450-hp Model 3 clocks at 3.3—its dual-motor AWD launches it like a rail gun. Leaf Two, to Alfa: The Giulia clings to corners like sweaty underwear, pulling a 0.98 g skidpad compared to the Model 3's
0.95. Leaf Three, pick 'em: The Tesla stops shorter—but fractionally so. Leaf Four, mox nix: Their figure-eight lap times are identical at 24.2 seconds.

Then somebody notices the Alfa's Pirelli P Zero Corsa AR Asimmetrico front tires. They're asimmetrico, all right: Half of each tread block's rubber is gone after two sets of three hard laps. The Tesla engineer points to his car's Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss that are at worst scuffed. "We could do that time if we were willing to destroy our tires," he says. The Tesla's rubber contains complex compounding across its tread for minimal rolling resistance but stickiness for corners (with foam glued into its interior to reduce noise). The technical investment in this tire—which can generate 0.95 g's of cornering grip from a 4,078-pound car without significantly damaging the rubber and still deliver 310 miles on a charge—is remarkable.

Last edited:
War of the Worlds: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance vs Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE vs Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - Motor Trend

Willow Springs International Raceway
Driver: Randy Franklin Pobst

Model P3D (Track Mode Enabled) - 9.1 lb/hp
1:23.97

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - 7.5 lb/hp
1:22.78

Thanks for posting that- I hadn't seen it as it is new. Very good review of the Tesla/Alfa face off. Would have loved to have seen the result of the Tesla having either 245/35-20 Michelin 4S, or even more radically, 265/35-19 tires on some lightweight 19x9.5 wheels. Would bet that either setup would have allowed it to beat the Alfa, esp. the 265/35. But still a fascinating review. Thanks!

I know it's easiest to compare stock vs stock, but running the same model tires on all cars would be the best way to truly understand the relative performance. Some manufacturers game this system a bit by putting crazy sticky tires on their highest end performance models.

Reactions: dfwatt
I know it's easiest to compare stock vs stock, but running the same model tires on all cars would be the best way to truly understand the relative performance. Some manufacturers game this system a bit by putting crazy sticky tires on their highest end performance models.

Considering the Alfa tires are "Streetable Track Tires" with 60 treadwear rating, I think you have a good point. With PS4S on all three, the model 3 probably would have been on top.