Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not correct. It is absolutely great in highway heavy stop and go and slow traffic.

Okay. I should have been more specific. On a surface street in town where people are changing lanes a lot and speeds go from stopped at traffic lights every few blocks to 35 mph I didn't care so much for TACC. I expect to like it more on the freeway. I've only taken on the freeway once so far, my first drive, and it had not yet calibrated itself. Yesterday I didn't go on the freeway.

Okay. I should have been more specific. On a surface street in town where people are changing lanes a lot and speeds go from stopped at traffic lights every few blocks to 35 mph I didn't care so much for TACC. I expect to like it more on the freeway. I've only taken on the freeway once so far, my first drive, and it had not yet calibrated itself. Yesterday I didn't go on the freeway.
We have TACC on our Prius. If Tesla EAP is like the Toyota TACC, it is not meant for stop and go traffic. In fact, Toyota TACC is not available at under 30 mph. Where it really shines is on the freeway in both heavy and light traffic (except stop and go on the freeway where I expect EAP will be much better than TACC). We use TACC 100% of the time on high speed roads - freeways and suburban. Very happy with the results, can't live without it.

We have TACC on our Prius. If Tesla EAP is like the Toyota TACC, it is not meant for stop and go traffic. In fact, Toyota TACC is not available at under 30 mph. Where it really shines is on the freeway in both heavy and light traffic (except stop and go on the freeway where I expect EAP will be much better than TACC). We use TACC 100% of the time on high speed roads - freeways and suburban. Very happy with the results, can't live without it.

Yes. I expect the same.

According to the manual, the minimum set speed is 18 mph (30 kph). But the car will come to a complete stop if the car in front does, and will resume moving when the car in front does. So it should operate find on city streets in stop-and-go. I just didn't find that comfortable.

According to the manual, the minimum set speed is 18 mph (30 kph).
Thanks, good to know. We will just set EAP for whatever the local speed limit is and forget it. I hope that some day in the future the UI will have the option to set cruise control as a factor of the local speed limit. EAP will read the traffic signs and adjust your cruise control speed accordingly, no need to manually reset the limit under different highway/local conditions. I know it is coming, just don't know when.

Thanks, good to know. We will just set EAP for whatever the local speed limit is and forget it. I hope that some day in the future the UI will have the option to set cruise control as a factor of the local speed limit. EAP will read the traffic signs and adjust your cruise control speed accordingly, no need to manually reset the limit under different highway/local conditions. I know it is coming, just don't know when.

Actually, EAP knows the speed limit (probably based on the map and GPS?) and you can have it always set itself for the local speed limit plus or minus whatever offset you choose. E.g., you could have it always go 4 mph over the speed limit. I have not played with this yet, so I'm going by the manual. When the speed limit changes you have to use the stalk or the screen to change to the new limit.

Actually, EAP knows the speed limit (probably based on the map and GPS?) and you can have it always set itself for the local speed limit plus or minus whatever offset you choose. E.g., you could have it always go 4 mph over the speed limit. I have not played with this yet, so I'm going by the manual. When the speed limit changes you have to use the stalk or the screen to change to the new limit.
Oh My Dog! I had no idea! I didn't think that was implemented yet. @daniel, you just put a Tesla grin on my face this morning!

• Funny
Reactions: KentuckyX
Oh My Dog! I had no idea! I didn't think that was implemented yet. @daniel, you just put a Tesla grin on my face this morning!
Yup I can attest to this, On my 2 days rental I used it a bunch on city streets. It won't let you enable while stopped, I had to be moving a bit, it would automatically set the max speed to the current speed limit and worked great! Would be super cool if it would stop at a red light when there was no car in front of you. End up constantly enabling and disabling as the cars in front of you move out of your lane.

Day 3. I do love this car. But there are a few things that are IMO extraordinarily stupid. What's the point of the glass roof? It does no good at all because I can't be looking up even if I wanted to while driving. Today we got sun for the first time since I got the car, and the sun was shining in my eyes from overhead! Yes, it was greatly attenuated by the tinting. But I'd be happier if it wasn't shining on me at all.

The phone as car key. I use the frunk for groceries. It's perfect for that. And at home I don't have to squeeze around back to get the groceries out. But I come out from the store, and instead of just pressing a button on a fob, I have to dig my phone out of my pocket, turn it on, enter my passcode, launch the Tesla app, and then I can touch "Open Front Trunk." One day it was snowing and I had to do that. With the Prius I just touch the handle or the liftback and it unlocks as long as the fob is in my pocket. Sometimes hitting Open the Frunk doesn't unlatch it all the way and I have to do it again.

Then there's closing the frunk. You're supposed to use two hands, on exactly the right spots. Good luck if your other hand is occupied with anything.

Oh, yes, the headlights. I like to leave them on any time I'm driving. Other cars turn them off automatically when I get out of the car. I'm not sure, but I think that "Auto" has the headlights off if it's daytime. But if I turn them to "On" (always on) the car complains at me if I don't turn them off when I open the door. Why couldn't they just have the car turn the headlights off when I get out, and then remember that I want them on when I'm in the car???

Digging through menus to get at features that should be easily available is a bit annoying.

I did finally figure out that the reason my mirrors were always going to the wrong position every time I turned on the car was that I had neglected to press "Save" when I re-adjusted them.

And I tried out the Baroque music station on the internet radio (under classical). The sound is really spectacular. I don't like that when I listen to my own music from a jump drive it never remembers where I was the next time I start the car. But I did see that I can arrange music into different folders, effectively creating playlists, I think.

I've been scared to try out autosteer yet. :eek:

I tried out the steering settings, of Comfort, Normal, and Sport. Comfort felt mushy to me. I didn't like it. I'm sticking with Sport, which, coming from the Roadster, does not feel sporty at all. It just feels like a normal car. My 1989 Civic felt more sporty, though of course this car has a lot more torque.

The seats are the most comfortable of any car I've ever owned or driven. (Though I've ridden in a Lincoln Town Car and my sister's Lexus, both of which I think were softer, which was nice as a passenger. I don't know if I'd like that while driving.)

This is a wonderful car and I love it. But it could have been soooooo much better if they hadn't been trying so hard to make it futuristic.

I'm not going to search back to see how often you've posted your disappointments in the Model 3, but I seem to have heard them before.

What are you trying to prove? That you are unable to adapt to different tech? The glass roof isn't new tech. They offer a metal roof, or did on the S, as an option. Not very many people wanted one. I find, at 6'4" that the sun doesn't shine into my eyes through the glass roof in the S or the 3. I can even look at the sun and back down. I don't wear sunglasses.

I see you're on day 3. I'm on year 5+. In a few months you may have gotten used to some of this and wonder at the extraordinary stupidity of all those gas car manufacturers. In the mean time, I don't feel you're being educating, but rather looking for things that somehow might bother a small percentage of new drivers specifically so you can publish them. Well, some people shouldn't try new things. Some of us enjoy it. (MY Civic felt like a snail.)

Take a breath and go get used to your car. Tesla didn't try to make it futuristic. It IS futuristic. In not too long you'll wonder how you ever drove anything else.

And Auto steer (TACC) works great.

And I suppose you'll have to start another thread now since I've ruined this one.

I'm not going to search back to see how often you've posted your disappointments in the Model 3, but I seem to have heard them before.

What are you trying to prove? That you are unable to adapt to different tech? The glass roof isn't new tech. They offer a metal roof, or did on the S, as an option. Not very many people wanted one. I find, at 6'4" that the sun doesn't shine into my eyes through the glass roof in the S or the 3. I can even look at the sun and back down. I don't wear sunglasses.

I see you're on day 3. I'm on year 5+. In a few months you may have gotten used to some of this and wonder at the extraordinary stupidity of all those gas car manufacturers. In the mean time, I don't feel you're being educating, but rather looking for things that somehow might bother a small percentage of new drivers specifically so you can publish them. Well, some people shouldn't try new things. Some of us enjoy it. (MY Civic felt like a snail.)

Take a breath and go get used to your car. Tesla didn't try to make it futuristic. It IS futuristic. In not too long you'll wonder how you ever drove anything else.

And Auto steer (TACC) works great.

And I suppose you'll have to start another thread now since I've ruined this one.

I'm trying to give an honest review, the good with the bad. I'm on Day 3 of the Tesla Model 3. You've been driving electric for 5+ years? I've been driving electric for almost eleven years. I hate it when I have to drive a stinker. My daily driver for four years was the Zap Xebra. I was also honest about how badly that car was designed and how poorly it was built. I drove it for four years and I loved it in spite of that. For almost seven years after that, my daily driver was the Tesla Roadster (now for sale, since I don't need two electric cars). That car is much lower-tech than the Model 3, and in my opinion, some things are not improved just by making them high-tech.

Some people shouldn't try new things? Why? Because you don't like hearing that the first iteration has flaws? Well, I've been convinced that electric is the way to go since 2004 when I got my Prius and sometimes it shut off the engine and drove on electric. In 2007, dissatisfied with just a few blocks at a time of electric, I bought the only electric car sold in the U.S. that was not a NEV. I drove it for four years and I loved it and I told anyone who would listen about its good points AND its bad points. In 2011 I got the Roadster and sold the Xebra, and frankly, there were almost no bad points about the Roadster, but what there were, I told people about, along with the much more numerous good points. Two years ago, fascinated by the driver-assist features, I made my reservation on the Model 3. It is a fantastic car, and I love it, but it has far more design weaknesses than the Roadster, and, I'm sorry if it bothers you, but I will tell the bad with the good.

And, no, you have not ruined this thread. People deserve to hear all opinions and experiences about the car. If you disagree with me or just have different experiences, that's what this thread is for. But I won't be silenced just because someone thinks we shouldn't say anything bad about the car. I've been a total Tesla fanboy since I got my Roadster in 2011, but I don't think I do Tesla any favors by being less than honest in my opinions. Because it's from owners' opinions that Tesla finds out what people like and don't like and makes improvements. And note that the title of this thread is "Model 3 First Drive Reviews." This is the thread for brand-new owners to give their first impressions. That's what I'm doing. And note that I've said I'll probably get used to the features that I think were ill-conceived. But, "first-drive review..."

And BTW, the Model 3 is not available without the glass roof. There may be an option for a metal roof at some time, but not yet. And though I have not seen a lot of Model S, all the ones I've seen have had metal roofs.

Agree with most of Daniel's observations. I don't see the point of glass roof. It is so dark anyway to keep the sun out.

And using the App for functions that are easily done by a mechanical switch is as dumb as having AP speed adjustment and Glove box opening through center screen

Reactions: geometro and daniel
Agree with most of Daniel's observations. I don't see the point of glass roof. It is so dark anyway to keep the sun out.
Have you sat in a model 3? Here are some of the points of a glass roof:
  • increased headroom in both front and rear
  • feeling of openness inside the car
  • makes interior of car much brighter
  • regardless of tint, view out the roof is not impacted
  • discourage your teenage son from any shenanigans in the back seat when he borrows the 3 for a date.

And using the App for functions that are easily done by a mechanical switch is as dumb as having AP speed adjustment and Glove box opening through center screen
Physical switches and dials are not subject to voice command. The model 3 is far from dumb, in fact it is brilliant and ground breaking when the car is designed to be controlled by voice command. This is not an opinion, the model 3 will have more and more voice command options in software updates this year. "Open glove box" "Speed 65" Voila, done! Stop thinking in terms of it's still 1918, leave that up to us old guys. This is the FUTURE.

Last edited:
... [Glass roof] makes interior of car much brighter...

Physical switches and dials are not subject to voice command. The model 3 is far from dumb, in fact it is brilliant and ground breaking when the car is designed to be controlled by voice command. This is not an opinion, the model 3 will have more and more voice command options in software updates this year. "Open glove box" "Speed 65" Voila, done! Stop thinking in terms of it's still 1918, leave that up to us old guys. This is the FUTURE.

Those are good points. I will try the voice commands. (I was not aware that the glove box would open to a voice command.)

Thanks.

Elon did tweet about much more voice command capability coming.

upload_2018-3-4_14-32-7.png

[QUOTE="T34ME, post: 2596373, member: 45229"
Physical switches and dials are not subject to voice command. The model 3 is far from dumb, in fact it is brilliant and ground breaking when the car is designed to be controlled by voice command. This is not an opinion, the model 3 will have more and more voice command options in software updates this year. "Open glove box" "Speed 65" Voila, done! Stop thinking in terms of it's still 1918, leave that up to us old guys. This is the FUTURE.[/QUOTE]

I agree with voice commands on in-car functions, but I believe Daniel's observation about opening the frunk from the app is valid...unless voice command works while outside the car. That being said, sometimes a physical button is just more convenient. We have switched to Phillips Hue lights in our home and control them with Alexa most of the time. However, sometimes it's easier to just hit a button on the wall.

Reactions: slipnslider
Voice commands certainly do work outside the car. I was sitting in the driver's seat with the window down when the owner standing outside the car said, "play xxxxxxxxxx" and the music started playing immediately.

Maybe I should have been more specific. It would need to work while approaching your car from the front with your hands full of groceries, most likely with the windows up since you would be coming out of the grocery store.

Reactions: 03DSG