Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launches Model 3 Highland refresh in North America - No Performance model listed as of 01.10.2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience, and others will chide me of course, is that out of those estimated figures you'll actually realize more like:

Estimated = Likely Actual
272/248 = 184/177
341/305 = 243/218
It's not at all that bad, especially on the 3 SR and LR with aeros. On my 3LR (22 so original range 358) I've done a real physical 270 mile round trip on SoCal freeways and had more than 15% of battery left over, and starting from max range of 348 after degradation.a So it would have been a range of 320 or so, and that's all freeway. 243 would have to be in blizzard conditions running high heater and driving way too fast. Or many stops and cool offs.

And note that Tesla has a buffer of 4.5% on the low side below 0%, which some other automakers do not. The range figures count that as per EPA testing. We dont know how accurate and repeatable any magazine testing is, which is why EPA and WLTP specify more scientifically accurate conditions.

And nevertheless in absolute range (percent of rated is not as good a measure) they're still very good compared to most competition. The Ioniq 6 is also very long range, but with a low power single motor in its most efficient state.

Reactions: zoomer0056
about the same for ice vehicles. if a car is "estimated" for 30mpg, very few people will get that. most will get around 27-28mpg. and on a 15 gallon tank, that is around 30-45 miles less range.

my Kia Sportage SX is rated for 25mpg combined. the few times my wife has driven it, she got 24.5mpg. the first 500 miles break in period I drove it gently and was able to get 24mpg a few times but mostly around 23-23.5mpg. after that I was only getting 21-22mpg b/c turbo 260hp zoom zoom.

Awe... and where in Pennsylvania can you actually drive 140 or 125 for that matter?
Maybe 3 AM in a PA Turnpike tunnel, assuming they don't have speed cameras mounted inside them. It's been about 4 years since I've been on that part of the PA Turnpike.

Certainly can't have a trooper on the shoulder running a radar gun in one. But be sure to back it down to legal speeds before you come out of the tunnel!

Maybe 3 AM in a PA Turnpike tunnel, assuming they don't have speed cameras mounted inside them. It's been about 4 years since I've been on that part of the PA Turnpike.

Certainly can't have a trooper on the shoulder running a radar gun in one. But be sure to back it down to legal speeds before you come out of the tunnel!
I'm pretty confident they don't have speed cameras in there yet 🤫

What do you expect to happen in an empty straight line tunnel?
You mean what could go wrong by testing your Tesla speed limit and tire traction in a tunnel? Frequency-wise, not more and maybe less than what could go wrong trying the same on open roads. Outcome-wise a whole lot for the driver, people entering the tunnel after, and the structural integrity of the tunnel.

My guess is the performance model of this highland variant will be the cherry on top. For the LR, Tesla hopefully introduces something like the Acceleration Boost package and open up the too speed a little more.