Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in South Carolina

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if new car is worth more? Can I transfer from my cheaper sc car and get a new tag for tesla? Or not worth the trouble?
thats what i did now how much will due for this years taxes i dont know but it bought me a few months to worry about it

whats suppose to happen is when you go to the DMV they will still charge you the 350 tax ( tesla doesnt collect that ) i think it was 10 bucks to transfer the plate and it was done and done..

if you were getting a new plate you'd have to goto the county and pay the personal property taxes and then go to the dmv and get your plate ( you'd need the receipt )

for non tesla cars bought from a SC dealer the dealer registers the car and the country sends you a tax bill ( you'd have 90 days to pay it )

Reactions: Kacey Green
I will be picking up my MS 75D in Charlotte tomorrow. I live in Columbia and have seen three other Tesla Model S's and one Roadster in my area. If you are near Columbia we need to campaign for a super charger in our area.
I have one of the Blue Model S you may have seen if you've been in the Irmo/Chapin area. I've seen another Blue one, also, so it may have been that one. As far as other Teslas I know of the owners of two black ones, a red one, and a titanium one.

Hello all, new owner/forum user. I didn't mean to quote number 12 and didn't know how to unquote. I took delivery of my Midnight Silver P100D two weeks ago. I'm looking to connect with other owners here in the Midlands-(I live in Blythewood)-cars and coffee is a good idea-I haven't been in several months. I paid the property taxes yesterday-an insane amount of money (>$3k). The clerk had to ask for help-after several minutes of keyboard clicking, she asked "Who makes Tesla?" My original, over the phone property tax quote several weeks ago was $4800 so I guess I made out like a bandit! Since SC has no state EV incentives, it would be helpful if our state EV community could come together and work on changing that. And, SCE&G has no tiered rate structure-maybe those of us in the Midlands could work on that. Thoughts???

I remember reading somewhere ( i think it was DOR's website) that there is an EV incen
I have one of the Blue Model S you may have seen if you've been in the Irmo/Chapin area..

DO NOT use the car wash near bojangles and 26 ( i know i shouldn't have used a touch less car wash i was being lazy)
it popped my tire on the inside
on the plus side the AAA service center over by dunkin donuts can get tires same day ( assuming you dont ask right before a snow storm)

• Informative
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Hello all, new owner/forum user. I didn't mean to quote number 12 and didn't know how to unquote. I took delivery of my Midnight Silver P100D two weeks ago. I'm looking to connect with other owners here in the Midlands-(I live in Blythewood)-cars and coffee is a good idea-I haven't been in several months. I paid the property taxes yesterday-an insane amount of money (>$3k). The clerk had to ask for help-after several minutes of keyboard clicking, she asked "Who makes Tesla?" My original, over the phone property tax quote several weeks ago was $4800 so I guess I made out like a bandit! Since SC has no state EV incentives, it would be helpful if our state EV community could come together and work on changing that. And, SCE&G has no tiered rate structure-maybe those of us in the Midlands could work on that. Thoughts???

just looking at my tax bill mine was 2810 for a model x so i guessing that sounds about right my goal is to put 15k miles on it before the next bill so i can get the discount

• Informative
I believe there is an incentive for plug in hybrids, but not fully electric vehicles. Frustrating......

I was told by a CPA that the fully electric vehicle may be acceptable since it "exceeds the requirements" of the credit. He said "it couldn't hurt to try."

There is a manufacturers certification that is a part of the application, but when I talked to Tesla in Charlotte, they made it seem like they are willing to fill it out.

I plan on sending it over next week. I'll keep you posted.

Hi, I just wanted to to say hello to everyone. I live in Lexington and reserved a model 3 late (oct). Between the long wait for my car because I'm close to the back of the queue, and the small size I am now considering getting an X early next year. Just waiting to see the next reveal to see if it's anything I want to wait to come to the model x from the 3. I am also curious about taxes and the maintenance experience having to go to Charlotte. FYI a super Charger is supposed to be comic to the northeast.

Hi, I just wanted to to say hello to everyone. I live in Lexington and reserved a model 3 late (oct). Between the long wait for my car because I'm close to the back of the queue, and the small size I am now considering getting an X early next year. Just waiting to see the next reveal to see if it's anything I want to wait to come to the model x from the 3. I am also curious about taxes and the maintenance experience having to go to Charlotte. FYI a super Charger is supposed to be comic to the northeast.
The taxes may be the worst part about owning a Tesla in South Carolina. At least your taxes are less in Lexington County than mine are in Richland County, I think.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Because of the ridiculous taxes we have to pay I've decided I'm not going to buy new when we get our Model X (unless TSLA goes over $1,000 a share, then maybe ;)). I'm ok with AP 1.0 for the right discount as that's better than the AP 0.0 my 2013 Model S has. I've been watching CPO prices and the right discount has not emerged yet. For example, there's a 90D CPO Model X with AP1 listed for $98,000. A brand new 90D Model X with similar features is ~$110,000 after the $7500 tax credit. I would have expected a much larger difference considering the new ones come with AP 2.0 hardware but maybe the gap is small because AP 2.0 is not better than 1.0 yet. With the way used Model S prices have gone I expect the CPO prices to be more reasonable by the time my LEAF lease is up in 2 years but we will see.

Yeah , I have looked at the CPO prices but the discounts just don't appear to be worth it yet considering you are giving up the tax credit and likely also giving up AP 2.0. You will probably also be getting or giving up options that you would have gotten/rejected for your own custom build.I have a hard time giving up AP 2.0 though, even for a great price. I think it will open up so many possibilities even 3 years from now and will add a lot of value to the car. So if you drive 15K miles in a giver year do you just get a tax break for one year and have to show proof that you did the same thing the next year to keep the break?