Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hotspot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only does it bothers me car can't OTA software through network (only wifi), but can Tesla please enable hotspot on the car. Other automaker been doing this, Elon mentioned of doing it in the past, don't know how hard can this be. It's like daylight savings time, almost everyone can agree it's nonsense and not needed, yet we still never got rid of it!!! It's not and shouldn't be that hard!!!

Reactions: MossDaddy
Upvote 0
Yeah waiting for Starlink to be available on most supercharger locations, any guess on which will happen first? Tesla connected to Starlink or Superchargers? Also nice theory, any updates / confirmation on the progress Tesla converting to Starlink?
Only speculation on my part. I've seen Starlink on some SC sites (Springfield, MO comes to mind, IIRC) but I haven't seen any updates on widespread SL at SC. ...and the idea that Tesla cars will move to SL is just speculation. But to me, it's pretty obvious. They're already putting SL on planes, boats, and other moving vehicles, and whatever they're paying to AT&T for cellular usage for a potential fleet of millions of cars is probably too much.

Reactions: cc333
My opinion is that this would be a very unnecessary cost. Why would Tesla want to foot the bill to provide a WiFi hot spot for only $10/month?

Then we can all just cancel our home internet connections and use our car's WiFi hotspot.
For people with awful Comcast cable or no broadband in general, that sounds like an absolute positive. Competition and disruption. Sure, charge more, but car as a cable provider sounds amazing. No crappy coffee shop internet, always have internet when camping or glamping... Makes sense to me.

For people with awful Comcast cable or no broadband in general, that sounds like an absolute positive. Competition and disruption. Sure, charge more, but car as a cable provider sounds amazing. No crappy coffee shop internet, always have internet when camping or glamping... Makes sense to me.

I mean - I understand why a *user* might want this, but it sounds like a dumb choice on Tesla's part. Certainly at $10/month they would lose money.

You can get a mobile hotspot from your favorite cellphone provider for like $50/month... expecting Tesla to provide it for $10 is unrealistic, and Tesla has to pay AT&T for these connections. It's possible they don't even profit from the $10/month, it might just reduce their cost of providing standard connectivity.

Other automakers have in car wifi hotspots
And you know it’s not free right? It’s like $25-50 a month depending on automaker.

Most cell phone plans now include some hotspot allowance for free. If not then it’s usually cheaper to add hotspot to your phone plan than to pay the automaker.

Long story short just use your phone hotspot if you need wifi on a non-cellular device (eg laptop or kids iPad). And you’ll get up to 5G speeds depending on your current phone. The car is only LTE.

I mean - I understand why a *user* might want this, but it sounds like a dumb choice on Tesla's part. Certainly at $10/month they would lose money.

You can get a mobile hotspot from your favorite cellphone provider for like $50/month... expecting Tesla to provide it for $10 is unrealistic, and Tesla has to pay AT&T for these connections. It's possible they don't even profit from the $10/month, it might just reduce their cost of providing standard connectivity.
I said even if they charged more.

Reactions: cc333