Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: Highlights from our upcoming Spring Release below

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really not liking the snubbing of Intel 3/Y vehicles with this update.

I have several buddies who bought their M3/MY in 2022 and have Intel processors. To think that a car that is barely 2 years old can’t handle a UI update is concerning.

Tesla has added/removed certain features (games, zoom) for specific chipsets, so how can this update not be tailored to Intel cars too?

If the thought process is “upgrade your car” then Tesla should make Ryzen MCU upgrade kits, my 2019 has 35k miles on it, no interest in getting out of it any time soon, but I would upgrade to AMD if it was an option (I know it’s not and most likely won’t ever be)

Looks like my Intel Atom car will start to get left behind on software updates. Kind of sucks, but I guess the current UI and software feels more or less perfected to me, so there's not a whole lot more I could ask for. I would rather that Tesla put a bow on an older car's software at some point over updating it to a version that the hardware could barely run.

I have several buddies who bought their M3/MY in 2022 and have Intel processors. To think that a car that is barely 2 years old can’t handle a UI update is concerning.

Tesla has added/removed certain features (games, zoom) for specific chipsets, so how can this update not be tailored to Intel cars too?

If the thought process is “upgrade your car” then Tesla should make Ryzen MCU upgrade kits, my 2019 has 35k miles on it, no interest in getting out of it any time soon, but I would upgrade to AMD if it was an option (I know it’s not and most likely won’t ever be)
I waited specifically for the AMD chip because I was almost certain it would get updates in the future that older ones wouldn’t

Reactions: PauliePucks

Tesla's not "snubbing" anyone.

I could just as easily say "Tesla has been snubbing new M3/MY for 2 years now....they purchased a vehicle with more advanced infotainment computer, but have been getting nothing to show for it!"

Technology marches on.

I have a 2023 Model S, HW4. I know at some point we will get HW5, they will improve other hardware, add new hardware to new builds, etc...that my vehicle will not be able to take advantage of.

Tesla continues to support "less than most recent hardware" (as they should.) But logically the older your hardware is (and the more significant differences are between your hardware and the latest hardware), the less and less "new stuff" you'll get over time.

I could just as easily say "Tesla has been snubbing new M3/MY for 2 years now....they purchased a vehicle with more advanced infotainment computer, but have been getting nothing to show for it!"

Technology marches on.

I have a 2023 Model S, HW4. I know at some point we will get HW5, they will improve other hardware, add new hardware to new builds, etc...that my vehicle will not be able to take advantage of.

Tesla continues to support "less than most recent hardware" (as they should.) But logically the older your hardware is (and the more significant differences are between your hardware and the latest hardware), the less and less "new stuff" you'll get over time.
This is the problem when we treat cars like consumer electronics. Technology advances so rapidly but we keep cars much longer than we keep electronics. So consumers expect the latest and greatest software even though the hardware is outdated.

MCU 2 came out in 2017. Imagine using an iPhone X, Pixel 2, Galaxy S8 and expecting it to be able to install today’s OS with all the latest features

Am I the only one who thinks the auto open trunk will be damaging tailgates left and right when someone walks behind their car in their garage?

Will it open if you are washing the back of your car? Better remember to turn that off...
One way is that you’ll have to stand still for a while before it will open according to release notes on notateslaapp. It will thus highly likely not just open when walking by or when you are washing your car (making your phone register movement)

Reactions: cptnslo
Am I the only one who thinks the auto open trunk will be damaging tailgates left and right when someone walks behind their car in their garage?
Walking behind the vehicle doesn't sound like standing still at the trunk...

Will it open if you are washing the back of your car? Better remember to turn that off...
That is what Car Wash mode is for. (Not that washing the back of your car is standing still either.)

Why can’t the previous gen model 3 get the Auto shift feature?

Why are only the S and X getting the increased regen braking

Why are 3/Y only getting the new visualizations, refresh S/X hello?
Because Tesla wants you to buy a new car. :mad: Same reason older MS with MCU 2 dont have the "Car Colorizer" or the updated instrument cluster visual for supercharging (Sorry Model X was the easiest picture I could find showing the graphic):
1713388760233.jpeg

My CR-V's software was updated to a much better looking UI a year after I purchased mine and the only I could get the new UI was to buy another CR-V.

Doesn't make sense why we would expect Tesla to retrofit our infotainment systems. We purchased the vehicles knowing what we're getting at the time of purchase.
Exactly. I've had my car for 1.5 years now and I've had so many useful upgrades via free FW. Never would this happen on any other ICE car I owned.
Eventually a new CPU will come out and my Ryzen will not get the latest and greatest. But I won't be complaining as I don't think we should expect our cars to always support the latest FW forever.

Technology marches on.

This is the problem when we treat cars like consumer electronics. Technology advances so rapidly but we keep cars much longer than we keep electronics. So consumers expect the latest and greatest software even though the hardware is outdated.

MCU 2 came out in 2017. Imagine using an iPhone X, Pixel 2, Galaxy S8 and expecting it to be able to install today’s OS with all the latest features
I don’t disagree with you. You’re spot on. They should stop selling FSD to HW3 cars then too if they’re EOL/Obsolete if that’s their stance then too. They’re not.

I get a new phone every year, always have, I like having the latest and greatest. However, a car is a far more significant investment for most of us and a new car every 3 years to stay on the most cutting edge UI/software is not in my cards and I’m sure some would agree. If Tesla had a good leasing program maybe then, but their closed-end lease is not for me.

I probably should have been more specific as to my gripe, in that I really meant snubbing intel on the UI updates. Obviously I don’t expect hardware limitations to be considered, I've had a foot sensor on my trunk for over 2 years, I rarely use it. For Tesla to not even offer, at least the UI upgrade, to Intel cars seems a bit odd as i don't see how updating a UI can be that taxing on a car that can purportedly drive itself under supervision (NB i am not claiming it does this well 🤣)

I'm really just sad I’m getting phased out. Granted on my wife’s 21 Yukon I could care less about any updates, or any other ICE cars we’ve had. Tesla has bred me into someone who looks forward to new features in my car - and for the last 3-4 years I’ve been spoiled in that sense. I have no desire to get into a new model 3 yet, so I’ll just cope, but I do think there’s some merit to what I’m saying, I don’t disagree with the technology standpoints, all valid, but I feel for those who have their cars barely 2 years and they’re not getting simple UI functionality updates stings a bit.

I completely agree, we are talking about an Intel atom that's nearing almost a decade in age. The IGPU on that CPU was a joke from day one as it's from an era when intel wasn't really investing into their GPU side. It's biggest issue was the IGPU didn't have any cache so everything had to be done out of VRAM which being an IGPU is shared DRAM so needless to say extremely slow.