Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has silently lowered cars with coil suspension.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been itching on the trigger for a new 75D to replace my 2014 S60.

My S60 had about 6.1 inches ground clearance (I was very worried about this when I bought the car, having a tesla salesman drive one up my parking lot just to make sure - no problems then and no problems ever since).

Now I see new 75D has been lowered to a wopping 5.3 inches. Thats quite a drop for a car with such a long wheelbase. Without the smart air option its making me very nervous about hitting the trigger on a new tesla :(

what are peoples thoughts about this?

Take a test drive home and try it out again.
I enter/exit my driveway with the wheels sharply cut to avoid scraping the bottom.

Im sure the tesla will perform fine on my driveway. I am however seeing many fellow norwegian report that newer 75D's are hitting the road floor on humps and curvy roads etc. here in Norway.
Perhaps tesla should consider upping the car a little for us euro customers who drive on more rough roads.

Guessing this is done to help CD and increase range?

Another downside of low height is the difficulty of ingress and egress. I drove a Leaf and an i3 the other day and they both feel like SUVs compared to my S. Feels lot more comfortable.

Reactions: gowthamn
I see they have updated their site too.
Air suspension is 4.6” – 6.3”, and coils are right in the middle at 5.3.

I have coils, but older 70D. I haven't had any issues really, but I don't go off roading with the car either.

I thought the clearance used to be 5.7, not 6.1. Either way, air suspension moves the car by a grand total of 1.7 inches.

Does that little movement really matter?

I thought the clearance used to be 5.7, not 6.1. Either way, air suspension moves the car by a grand total of 1.7 inches.

Does that little movement really matter?

It really does make a difference and I agree it doesn't sound like much. But comparing a coil 70D and my new air 100D with the exact same tires over a parking lot entrance near work, the critical max speed before bottoming out went from 5mph to over 20mph, which is a really meaningful difference.

I guess it's the geometry of car clearance or maybe partly an auto-leveling effect, but on paper the air suspension sounds like it wouldn't do much but in practice it makes a world of difference for clearing humps/dips and parking near high curbs.

I have 5.65" Model S ground clearance entered in my spreadsheet, which was probably 2 years ago. I hadn't realized it's been dropping.

Our old BMW 540i that I was driving at the time was 4.7", so Tesla is still not that bad. In suburban driving the 540i was fine as long as I hit any elevation changes diagonally instead of head on. Only bottomed out once, in a grass field being used as a parking lot with wooden ramps covering some temporary wiring. And I was already adept at avoiding parking curbs. Plenty of speed bumps around here, and we did OK with those.

Amen!
Ground clearance is my only complaint with my 2015 85D.
I done an exhaustive search trying to find an aftermarket solution but no luck.
I can add spacers but I don't want a permanent lift,
Has anyone had better luck?