Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla frunk security flaw ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a better safety design in mind for emergency responders access to disengage the battery, you should write to Tesla. I am sure they will happily consider it.
Anything that was better for first responders would probably be even less secure. If they had their way from a safety perspective, the cable would be exposed on the outside of the car so they just had to walk up to it. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: xkwizit
If you read the first responders' manual for the cars (publically available on the Tesla site), there's even more interesting stuff in it. Not as good as how to open the frunk, though. I got this tidbit from 'Like Tesla' also, as well as the 'dead zone' for the Model X key fob (same post, I believe).

My 2014 era Model S has an internal trunk release in the front passenger area. As far as I know, there is no exterior release however I remember at some point in time that release was taken out of production.

Ditto my early 2013. The thing is back then, you could pop the nosecone off to access the 12v jump terminals, power up the car and access the doors, trunk, frunk etc. electrically. The refresh design has no provision like that to get to the jump terminals, so you have to be able to open it in some other manner.

I believe you guys are missing another factor here... How the hood latching mechanism works is regulated quite heavily and is the reason why you don't have an auto open/close mechanism for the front. It's simply not allowed by the regulations. The same goes for the latching mechanism...

Yet another example of how the regulations haven't kept up with the reality. Blame Tesla all you want, but their hands are likely very tied on this one... If someone can dispute my assumption though, I'm all eyes... :)

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit and scsmx
The obvious, simple solution to this problem: put a secondary lock-able door on the frunk storage compartment. It should lift open (i.e., unlocked) with the hood at all times, *except* if the hood is opened with the emergency release.

There. It's minimal cost and at least it prevents someone from stealing it surreptitiously.

Car alarms: right...we're too desensitized. How many times have you called the police when a car alarm went off?

I checked the first responder guide for the LEAF - the high voltage disconnect is inside the car, under a plastic cover which then requires three 10mm bolts be removed before you get to the disconnect.
That sounds a heck of a lot more secure than requiring access to the frunk.

I was in my frunk today. I used the center console button to open it. There is no secondary latch on my frunk, at least one that is active. All I have to do is to pull it up. I suspect wind would do that too.

Am I to assume that my secondary latch is MIA?

I checked the first responder guide for the LEAF - the high voltage disconnect is inside the car, under a plastic cover which then requires three 10mm bolts be removed before you get to the disconnect.
That sounds a heck of a lot more secure than requiring access to the frunk.
It could also be considered less safe as it would take emergency responders a lot longer to disconnect. There are advantages and disadvantages to either solution.