Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla continues to list price with gas savings/incentives and offer odd bundles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: I just saw it also include Homelink in the "premium" package, so I basically am being forced to have to add the $5000 options. I an not driving around in $118k car with a garage down opener clipped to the visor. They should at least reduce the price by $1500 of P85D buyers, since the Alcantara headliner is already included in their car.

Are they still coating the windshield with something that blocks garage door openers?

Also, has any brought this up? In November, Tesla sent out an email about dual motors and autopilot. At the end, they included this sentence:

With the introduction of Dual Motor and Autopilot, there will be no further significant platform changes to the Model S for about a year.

Is "lie" too strong a word?

email and call Tesla and tell them that you are not ordering until they separate out these options or get rid of the premium package entirely and have it all standard. spending $5k just to get a power liftgate and homelink is downright unscrupulous.

I sent an email to NASales urging them to reconsider the feature distribution.

email and call Tesla and tell them that you are not ordering until they separate out these options or get rid of the premium package entirely and have it all standard. spending $5k just to get a power liftgate and homelink is downright unscrupulous.

I've already communicated this to our salesperson this morning :) I bet they will revise the situation. They don't make too many bad decisions but when they do, they are quick to fix them. I think they will either roll HomeLink and the Power Liftgate to the standard package or make the premium package more reasonably priced. Currently the Premium Package costs 66% of what the Tech Package used to cost and compared to how many great features came with the Tech Package, this is a horrible value.

A battery size change is a significant platform change, in my opinion. If I had ordered an 85 after seeing this note, I would certainly be upset about the 70D.
Platform change might be longer wheelbase, more windows, T-Tops, etc. This is mainly a "fuel tank size" change, in my view. same car as the 85D with smaller fuel tank for less money. Are you saying that you didn't need 85D range and would be happy with 70D? I would expect there will be some buyers in that boat.

Tesla, stop acting like the car dealers you and we despise

I ordered none of the premium stuff in the P85D in October. Power liftgate and Homelink - both are great features - would be tough to fork up $5k for; the rest is all fluff IMO.

And, absolutely agree with the comments about the "after incentives and gas savings" nonsense. Please be upfront with the pricing. Make the incentives show up clearly in the price list afterwards. Don't bring gas savings into the equation at all; those can be discussed in a non-Design Studio page.

Canceled my X to get an 85D for the wife. Power liftgate for 5k because they bought too much Alacantra. I can unlock my car with a phone, but have a garage door opener as well taped to the back of my Iphone. What an idea. I think someone just likes to move the options around. No order till this is fixed. She is 5' 4".

Canceled my X to get an 85D for the wife. Power liftgate for 5k because they bought too much Alacantra. I can unlock my car with a phone, but have a garage door opener as well taped to the back of my Iphone. What an idea. I think someone just likes to move the options around. No order till this is fixed. She is 5' 4".
Bold part cracked me up.:biggrin: What does that have to do with anything? Random sentence at the end of my comment.

Platform change might be longer wheelbase, more windows, T-Tops, etc. This is mainly a "fuel tank size" change, in my view. same car as the 85D with smaller fuel tank for less money. Are you saying that you didn't need 85D range and would be happy with 70D? I would expect there will be some buyers in that boat.

I'm talking about a hypothetical. I've been happy with my 60 for over two years. But, yes, the 70D's range would probably be sufficient for a lot of people who ordered the 85.

Ahh Power liftgate. Wait. Should it now come with a TESLA stool to stand on to close liftgate? Please re read post. If that cracks you up you must be easily amused.
It was not clear that you intended the height to mean she would be incapable of opening the liftgate. You didn't mention anything at all about that, and the random height thrown in was several sentences removed from the last time you even mentioned the liftgate. Perhaps you need to reread the post. :biggrin:

To address your concern, she will have no issue whatsoever closing the manual liftgate. My wife, also 5'4", easily reaches the liftgate handle, which is directly adjacent to the close button if you have the power liftgate.

It's a little ambiguous, as the premium package says 'GPS-enabled Homelink'. I agree that since there's no reference to Homelink in the standard features, it does appear that this was moved, as well. Totally ridiculous. This was included on my $23k Prius 8+ years ago. IMO, power liftgate and Homelink should either be standard or available at a reasonable cost. $5k is not reasonable, regardless of what else is in that package.
No, GPS-enabled Homelink is listed as standard on all cars now.
But let's keep the focus of this thread on how the pricing is displayed deceptively, not how options are packaged. How Tesla is displaying the price now is like a parody of car dealers, only they're serious.

I understand that you have a preferred method of showing costs to customers, and I agree that most prefer your method, but perhaps the title of this thread should be changed. Dealerships do a lot of horrible things, and I think this title is a bit overzealous. I clicked thinking Tesla was doing something illegal, but this is merely a marketing decision. All facts are on the page in question, just not in the format you would like them presented.

Not the same level as traditional dealerships that are current federal investigation, with some dealers facing jail time.

I understand that you have a preferred method of showing costs to customers, and I agree that most prefer your method, but perhaps the title of this thread should be changed. Dealerships do a lot of horrible things, and I think this title is a bit overzealous. I clicked thinking Tesla was doing something illegal, but this is merely a marketing decision. All facts are on the page in question, just not in the format you would like them presented.

Not the same level as traditional dealerships that are current federal investigation, with some dealers facing jail time.

"Acting like the car dealers you and we despise" does not imply Tesla is doing something illegal. Lots of things car dealers do are sleazy, deceptive, misleading, whatever other pejorative you want to use, but may not be illegal. Displaying a headline price for a car that takes into account presumed gas savings over years fits that description. I'm as big a fan of Tesla as anyone, but frankly this is embarrassing. I stand by my thread title.

edit- to understand the quote and response, the phrase in quotes was the title I gave this thread before a moderator changed it

Last edited:
I don't like the somewhat confusing conflation of discounts and lifetime savings compared to the actual price that a new owner pays. I think the reason this happens is they hire auto industry people and they JUST CAN'T STOP DOING IT. As a car owner and shareholder, please make a more honest price listing.

Bold part cracked me up.:biggrin: What does that have to do with anything? Random sentence at the end of my comment.

I think it is a valid point and I'm about the same height and need the power lift gate. Hopefully not for $5,000! Or else I guess I can always get a Tesla stool :)

Returning back to the thread topic, I agree with the OP completely that it is beyond ridiculous that they are listing random gasoline savings in the main price listed for the car. What if you only drive 6000 miles a year or currently own a leaf? They should list the actual cost of the car without playing games with the cost of the car.

I think it is a valid point and I'm about the same height and need the power lift gate. Hopefully not for $5,000! Or else I guess I can always get a Tesla stool :)

Returning back to the thread topic, I agree with the OP completely that it is beyond ridiculous that they are listing random gasoline savings in the main price listed for the car. What if you only drive 6000 miles a year or currently own a leaf? They should list the actual cost of the car without playing games with the cost of the car.

I do not disagree with the concept. I agree the gas savings should not be included but rather be an option to click where you enter numbers for your actual gas usage. My comment was the thread title was evocative and inflammatory. I was suggesting changing title to something appropriately addressing content. Perhaps like a title like "Why has Tesla gone back to including gas savings in price calculator?" As a bonus makes it easier to find on searches.

Many thread authors choose to use titles expressing OP emotions (positive or negative)rather than one descriptive of discussion, and it means you have to 'click' just to find out what the person is so excited (positive or negative) about. In this case it was chosen to be very emotionally negative instead of just saying, clearly that Tesla made a bad decision to show calculator this way.

My guess is the pricing calculator will be changed very soon. Calculator (briefly) a year or so ago included gas savings, and Elon addressed it in a shareholders confernce call and said calculator was adjusted so you had to input a number to include gas mileage savings if you wanted to compare monthly costs, but it was removed from default.

Someone in marketing most likely made a poor decision and it will most likely be remedied shortly. Very different to dealers that have documented history of charging different prices based on the gender or race of the customer. (not to mention other sleazy and/or illegal practices).