Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cargo Ship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just pulled out some of my previous calculations and refreshed some of the sums a bit. For those who are unaware a useful acronym is a 'teu' which is a typical twenty foot container (twenty foot equivalent unit) and that is a unit that is used in a lot of logistics calculations irrespective of whether rail, road, or sea.

I used an Emma Maersk E class vessel (approx 14,700 teu) rather than one of the newer EEE class (18,000 teu) since I had previously run the numbers for the E.

Firstly let's just put the solar container vessel to bed shall we, at least for long distance commercial cargo carrying via transoceranic routes. An E class has an 81MW main engine, or 100MW of total generation capacity if you counnt the other auxiliary engines. I think the actual shaft power at economic voage speeds (18kts) is approx 40MW. The full 100 MW will be to run ship services and attain the 25kts max speed. Anyway in contrast If you carpet a Emma Maersk with solar over the full oblong of the vessel from stem to stern, you can get a peak power of 5MW at 1,000 W/m2 insolation and 25% efficiency. Clearly flat solar won't achieve 25%, but in any case one can't get 1,000W/m2 for the whole 24h/d x 365d/yr and realworld capacity factors are more like 14%, yielding an annual average of 0.8MW continuous (24h/d), which is 2% of the 40MW required for economic cruising.

On the required battery to do a transoceanic run numbers are beginning to become more hopeful, so I withdraw some of my previous remarks. A useful typical voyage is Rotterdam (EU) to Norfolk (USA) which is 6,283 km long. It is neither the longest such voyage nor the shortest, but it is a good typical one. At economic speeds (i.e. 40MW) this takes 190 hours (8 days), and is 7,111 MWh of voyage energy (excluding auxiliaries). We must be careful to use realworld battery densities / volumes including all the physical space for install, coling, maintenance, cabling, etc. The latest Tesla Megapacks are 3.9 MWh of LFP each and are a fully stuffed volume of 42m3 each, and in contrast a standard twenty foot container is 38m3 volume. So for practical purposes we can use 3.9MW/teu as a representative volume for sketching out the required amount of the vessel.

Here is a typical picture of one of these container vessels

View attachment 926516

Which can be simplified to this drawing, which shows very crudely where stuff goes.

View attachment 926518

By inspection of photos we can observe that approximately one third of the containers are deck cargo, and two thirds internal hold cargo and we know that there are just under 15,000 in total.

Returning to the battery volume required for the 7.1 GWh of battery we get 1,800 teu of battery assuming 100% efficient energy delivery and running down from 100% to 0% in SoC terms for Rotterdam-Norfolk. This translates to 12% of the equivalent cargo volume which would result in approximately the following space allocation if it were to be done. So we can see that from a naval architecture perspective these things are beginning to seem achievable.

View attachment 926524

I previously did some calculations for the Asia-Europe run and figured out that there approximately 100 of these vessels serving that route on about 19 days Shanghai to Hamburg using the fast steaming speed ogf 24 kts. The route really takes a month as there are several port stops at both ends. So there are about 2 movements/day of such a vessel at either terminal port (50 vessels in each direction, one month in one direction) and that in turn gives an insght into the energy requirements to recharge these batteries at the terminal ports. In other words 7GWh recharge in 24h for one vessel, or 14GWh supply to cater for two vessels - and that is just the Asia-Europe liner service. That concerts to 0.3 GW feed per vessel. So assume a very large seabord terminal port (such as Rotterdam, Hamburg, etc) is working half a dozen such vessels each day to servivce all the various liner runs (Asia, USA, LatAm, etc) that would be about a steady 1-2GW supply for the port, which is of the order of magnitude that makes sense. The shore power cables are going to require cooling mind you, but we are just as careful with other ship/shore connections so that is not unrerasonable.

So overall from a shipbuilding perspective, a fleet replacement persective, a port handling perspective, and overall economics perspective it does after all become tantalisingly possible.

Mind you, the sums for intercontinental rail look equally competitive.

So overall my personal suspicion becomes that methanol and ammonia fuels for shipping purposes are going to be very limited bridge-fuel transitions/distractions, and probably won't be needed at all. Which knocks yet another crutch out from the hydrogen economy arguments.
Very interesting (and awesome) analysis. A couple of questions though:
1) How much mass/volume displacement would be unused because of the unused fuel onboard those vessels? Does this buy anything?
2) How does the mass of a 20 ft container full of batteries compare with the maximum mass of a 20 ft container for shipping purposes?

Could one just start loading a bunch of 20 ft containers, that are essentially megabucks of batteries, onto a diesel-electric ship (or train, for that matter) and route the electricity to the existing electric drive, thus offsetting the amount of fuel burned?
Could a new standard "Container Megapack" (mega-format equivalent of the ubiquitous AA battery, perhaps?) become a 20 ft container full of batteries that could be charged off board, then loaded along with the cargo (same handling equipment) onto the ship prior to sailing? Could such container megapacks then be mass produced and used for ships, trains, and stationary grid storage, with the latter, perhaps being the end of life usage as capacity decrease making them less desirable for transportation?

Very interesting (and awesome) analysis. A couple of questions though:
1) How much mass/volume displacement would be unused because of the unused fuel onboard those vessels? Does this buy anything?
2) How does the mass of a 20 ft container full of batteries compare with the maximum mass of a 20 ft container for shipping purposes?

Could one just start loading a bunch of 20 ft containers, that are essentially megabucks of batteries, onto a diesel-electric ship (or train, for that matter) and route the electricity to the existing electric drive, thus offsetting the amount of fuel burned?
Could a new standard "Container Megapack" (mega-format equivalent of the ubiquitous AA battery, perhaps?) become a 20 ft container full of batteries that could be charged off board, then loaded along with the cargo (same handling equipment) onto the ship prior to sailing? Could such container megapacks then be mass produced and used for ships, trains, and stationary grid storage, with the latter, perhaps being the end of life usage as capacity decrease making them less desirable for transportation?

1. The mass/volume are similar to engine/bunkerage/auxiliaries though distributed differently. It is doable in naval architecture design terms. If you've ever seen a big diesel inside one of these ships you'll understand my drawing better. They are several decks tall.

2. A standard 20' (teu) is 14,000 kg in average stuffing. A Tesla Megapack is 38,000 kg, so 24t extra. But in the context of a E or EEE size ship that extra Megapack (or equiv) mass really doesn't break the design bank I think.

3. No, I wouldn't do the actual design the way you are describing. I am just using the mass/volume/etc to show the design aspects are solvable. Just imho.

1. The mass/volume are similar to engine/bunkerage/auxiliaries though distributed differently. It is doable in naval architecture design terms. If you've ever seen a big diesel inside one of these ships you'll understand my drawing better. They are several decks tall.
Thanks! I'm an old steamship guy and haven't actually seen any of the new diesel stuff. I understand what you're talking about assuming they are comparable to the size of the old steam plants.

3. No, I wouldn't do the actual design the way you are describing. I am just using the mass/volume/etc to show the design aspects are solvable. Just imho.
Thanks. I appreciate your opinion. I was wondering if a nearly transparent transition could be possible using existing ships and infrastructure to begin weaning the shipping industry from fuel to battery. The investment to put a big transfer switch into the current engine room, and that, to architect and build a completely new ship from the keel up might be significantly easier and lower risk.
Thanks for doing the great research and analysis!

Thanks! I'm an old steamship guy and haven't actually seen any of the new diesel stuff. I understand what you're talking about assuming they are comparable to the size of the old steam plants.

Thanks. I appreciate your opinion. I was wondering if a nearly transparent transition could be possible using existing ships and infrastructure to begin weaning the shipping industry from fuel to battery. The investment to put a big transfer switch into the current engine room, and that, to architect and build a completely new ship from the keel up might be significantly easier and lower risk.
Thanks for doing the great research and analysis!

Re size I know what you mean. I've been on steam as well, and actually big diesels are (imho) bigger in the eng rooms than steam, though comparable in many ways. You have to go to GT to reduce space, well and in the future BEV-ships will wow us with their quiet/cool (and clean) engine spaces.

I think they'll work upwards in scale/range. The E class first launched in 2006, and the EEE class first launched in 2013. So they are on quite a quick class introduction cycle, driven by commercial imperatives, at all scales.

You may find the post above #80 that I did on rail also of interest, as you may have missed it because we both posted at the same time

By the way I realise I made a stupid the other night. It is approx 2040 (not 2050) that I think we will be practically over and done with fossils. I think it is going to go faster than people appreciate.

You may find the post above #80 that I did on rail also of interest, as you may have missed it because we both posted at the same time
Yes, I saw and loved your rail analysis as well. This is also of great interest to me, however, I see tough conversion in the USA to electricified rail, mainly because of the extremely long distances that need to be spanned, the significant cost of buildout and maintenance of electrified rail infrastructure required, the hostile taxation and labor laws, and the subsidization of rail competition. On the other hand, if a BEV makes sense on a car with rubber tires, a train with steel wheels on steel rails should be a no-brainer since the mass penalty is so insignificant. I can also see evolving electrification, possibly starting with helper electric locomotives over the steeper mountain passes instead of just adding more diesels as is done today.
There are efforts afoot in the USA to take old diesel-electric road switchers who's ICE was worn out and replace the ICE with batteries. It will be interesting to see how this progresses. A lot of noise was made about this in the early 2000's but seems to be quieting down a bit.

Electrification of Trains. The U S could electrify short sections of Rail and the longer sections use Hydrogen or Diesel Electric Locomotives.
The American National Rail Network is more than twice the size of the European rail system, with over 224,000 miles (360,000 kilometers) of track compared to Europe's mere 94,000 miles (151,000 kilometers).

I don't recommend you put your money here.
come on, you can do better than that. Let's see if we can find something a bit cleaner, quieter, and more sustainable.
Let's see if we can find a way to use batteries until a better method comes around?

The American National Rail Network is more than twice the size of the European rail system, with over 224,000 miles (360,000 kilometers) of track compared to Europe's mere 94,000 miles (151,000 kilometers).
Yep, and much of that is in the middle of nowhere.

Electrification of Trains. The U S could electrify short sections of Rail and the longer sections use Hydrogen or Diesel Electric Locomotives.
The Chinese network is approx 155,000 km and it is electrifying, just as the European 151,000 km. Plus India has 128,000 km most of which is electrified and they are working towards the rest. Combined that is over 400,000km that is either electrified or electrifying which is larger than the US's 360,000 km.

The point is that scale is not an obstacle to electrification.

For example here is India ordering up 1,200 electric locos etc. The info in this will also give you some data to enable you to size battery packs for trains by the way.

It is generally easier and cheaper to electrify the lines that are in the middle of nowhere.

(it also depends whether one talk route length or track length if wishing to make these scale comparisons.

Can't seeing existing track being nearly enough to assist global shipping very much without impacting passenger trains.

Passenger trains just about have a role in a robotaxi world but I can't see it with freight. 90% of freight transport probably includes a semi; introducing rail means 2 semis and a train (plus loading and unloading the train) instead of just one autonomous EV semi.

Could one just start loading a bunch of 20 ft containers, that are essentially megabucks of batteries, onto a diesel-electric ship (or train, for that matter) and route the electricity to the existing electric drive

Sokath! :D

sokath.jpg

Cheers (to the Children of Tama)!

Maybe the Federal Government has to force Train electrification. A combination of Railroad company funds and Taxpayer dollars. I didn't realize that there were a bunch of different railroad companies with rail lines divided into different classes.

Maybe the Federal Government has to force Train electrification. A combination of Railroad company funds and Taxpayer dollars. I didn't realize that there were a bunch of different railroad companies with rail lines divided into different classes.

Or maybe not. Most of the rail companies aren't solvent enough to invest the money needed to electrify. A train electrification requirement will pretty much require the public to donate money into the existing train companies to make this happen. Increasing federal subsidies at this time would be pouring salt into the tax payer wounds.

Reactions: petit_bateau
This is another alternative:- CSIRO trials Australia first portable, off-grid hydrogen generator

This would be a big step forward with a goal to be able to store the fuel in standard tanks and manage it using existing diesel or petrol infrastructure.

There is still the question of the cost to produce the hydrogen, but storing it in a liquid form means it is easier to transport.

We could be talking about battery electric with a hydrogen fuel cell range extender..

Last edited: