Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla-box: Anyone else receiving these spams?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe Vicroads is correct. Please refer them to the legislation linked here:-

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/rsr2009309/s102.html

(3) If a motor vehicle is a hybrid vehicle or an electric powered passenger car, the fee to be paid for registration or renewal of registration of the vehicle is— (a) nil, if the fee that would otherwise be payable under section 9 of the Act or Schedule 3 is less than $100; or
(b) in any other case, the fee that would otherwise be payable under section 9 of the Act or Schedule 3, less $100.

Doesn't this fall afoul of some form of legalities in the, almost too aptly named, "can-spam" act? is there a reporting mechanism there, would be great if this sort of behaviour was appropriately punished.

Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) only applies to Canadian companies sending emails/texts. There are no "Teeth" to go after foreign spam. Also, companies that currently have a relationship with you (EG TESLA) were given 3 years holiday on this to get explicit consent to receive emails from them.

I received the Tesla-Box spam on Nov 25. I can tell you it is not from DMV because I have not yet received the ordered Tesla so it is not in the DMV database. Also, it did not come from this forum because I use a different email for TMC. The breach had to be with the "Tesla My Page" website which we all used for ordering the Tesla. I used a different email for the Tesla order which is where I received the spam.

Do any of you use one of the after- market apps available for your Model S? I don't see reports of Roadster owners getting spammed, and we're in the same database.
I do not use any. I can remember someone here recommending voting on items to include in navigation updates in the future. When opened the site asked for email address but I never entered it. Is it possible that by clicking on threads in TMC that they could capture e mail address?

I do not use any. I can remember someone here recommending voting on items to include in navigation updates in the future. When opened the site asked for email address but I never entered it. Is it possible that by clicking on threads in TMC that they could capture e mail address?
It's definitely not from TMC because as several of us have said it came to a different email address than we use for TMC.

I noticed I've been getting spammed by some Asian company that's made a front console storage area to compete with Tesla's Premium Front Console. They call it the "Tesla box."

Question is, how'd they get my email address? It's the one I use with Tesla itself, with the My Tesla subsite on Tesla's own site. Can't just be random chance, and this spammer found by sheer luck a Model S owner and happened to use the email address that owner uses with Tesla itself.

By the way, I love the tortured English on that site. "I like more Perfect. TESLA is not perfect, but I try to make it more perfect." Can't argue with that. :)

tbox2.png

I'm kind of curious how this company got my info.

UPDATE: sorry, didn't know there was a spam thread already, and that it wasn't cool to start a new one. My post above clearly was ignorant of the fact that lots of people have been getting the Tesla-box spam. And also that folks are concerned that somehow the spammer is using the official emails customers are using with Tesla itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the spam as well. Unsure who is sharing details, but I'll be more wary of EV projects I sign up for in the future.

I get this one, as well as a bunch of other related spam. Funnily enough I know exactly what I did to open the floodgates, and it had nothing to do with Tesla Motors. I had just booked a flight on Southwest when a spam promising a coupon for Southwest came in, and it appeared related, so I thoughtlessly clicked the link in it.

This rookie put exactly 500 email addresses including mine in the TO: field of the spam email I received.

These email addresses could lead to tracking down where the spammer got the email addresses. It's possible the spam email was sent in groups 500.

Did anyone else see a list of 500 addresses in the TO: field of the spam email they received?

I got one as well. It's kind of amusing to read the product description: "After unlocking, the space is so large that it can hold million dollars."

Mine did not have multiple addresses in any field. The headers show it originating in China.

This isn't random spam; it's targeted, which means my email address has been linked to Tesla ownership. I've ordered accessories from Tesla's online store, and used that email address. But I've also ordered Tesla-related items from one or two other smaller companies using the same address, so there's no obviously clear source. It's worrisome, though, because it suggests that someone's database may have been compromised.