Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blog post: AWD Motor Power and Torque Specifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad we're all so appreciated. Shall I just quit now?

Should also point out... this is off-topic.

I appreciate you, and the other moderators here, a lot.

I read through this thread and fully understand why he was banned. It would have been nice if he could comment without all of his attacks, one of which he said himself to put it in the snippiness thread since he can't post there himself. That was so uncalled for. It's also not the first time since he has long history of similar posts and attacks. To have allowed him to stay would be to approve of rude and condescending comments, especially since I am certain he had been provide with more than adequate warnings.

Thanks for keeping this place civil. Or at least as civil as a gold rush town can be with the influx of all the new people...

How about timeouts for constantly disruptive folks? - Page 2

I hear there's a new claim of gold over another hill (Model 3) and it's said to be massive. Hold on folks, it's going to get even more interesting around here!

Isn't a strawman more likely when you eschew the accepted method, or standard, for maybe a new way of looking at things? I think you have it backwards. How would a dyno know the difference between an EV and an ICE?

Huh? Why would a dyno care. A dyno just measures work. It doesn't care if it's an ICE, electric motor, a steam engine, or a Fred Flintstone. Each of these sources have wildly different power characteristics which show up in the shape of the curve on the dyno chart.

Huh? Why would a dyno care. A dyno just measures work. It doesn't care if it's an ICE, electric motor, a steam engine, or a Fred Flintstone. Each of these sources have wildly different power characteristics which show up in the shape of the curve on the dyno chart.

This is dead-on correct.

While the methods, characteristics, and ultimate performance of the system as a whole is different for an EV than for an ICE platform, at the end of the day they exert torque to rotate wheels. That's it.

And all dynos directly do is measure torque and speed. Specs like horsepower are a derived value (tq x rpm /5250).

Given that we have an acceptable method to measure what the car does, measure it. It doesn't matter what's upstream of the wheels. Just measure the torque and speed.

And be sure to emulate the ICE cars and give yourself every advantage... if they can specify cool temps, fans blowing on the intercoolers and high octane gas, then EV's can specify full SoC's, warm battery packs, and cool inverters. Just measure what the system as a whole can do under ideal circumstances.

Then publish that number. Or better yet publish the curve, so that way folks can see not only the peak you reached, but the differing torque generation characteristics of an EV. (Of course, the falloff at higher RPM isn't as good looking).

What's that? Some ICE manufacturers advertise engine HP? Fine. Use a dyno on the output shaft of the motors running in tandem in the same system as a whole.

This is simple physics.

Last edited:
Please remove wk057 from the ban list!

wk057 is probably the most valuable member on this entire forum!

I took no offense the lol comment! Laughing is not always a response to comedy.

I still stand by my view that it is better for Tesla to advertise motor hp not car hp (battery hp). Clearly Tesla agrees with this view point as do many others. Value is better correlated with motor hp not battery hp. Battery hp would not tell the whole story and would be highly misleading. The battery is not the limiter at all speeds. We can agree to disagree, but there is no reason to ban wk057.

People claiming they would have not bought the P85D if they knew the battery hp (car hp) only further proves the point. They are basing the value of the car on peak battery hp, which can be highly misleading, especially with a dual motor car (with different motors with different power curves). Aligning the power curves of the two motors so they draw higher peak battery hp (if the battery was capable of outputting it) would not make the vehicle faster overall, but it would give the impression it is faster to the average consumer.

Last edited:
We do not have agreement on anything apparently. I consider making sure the fuel use (gasoline, diesel, propane, hamsters in wheels, or batteries) by the motors for testing to be a vital part of running a motor/engine and for an accurate measurement of a motor built for a specific application, such as in a a car. You apparently do not.

Not sure where I ever said to put diesel in a gasoline car or vice versa. lol. Seems to be some more fluff for you to throw out to make it, again, appear like these arguments actually have merit.
"Pretty sure the ICE still gets fed gasoline (or diesel or whatever fuel it's supposed to use). If it were fed something more exotic for gross testing I think people would have a problem with that."
That may be the wrong interpretation on my part reading it more carefully (admittedly I skim sometimes). I am referring to this line when talking about switching between gasoline and diesel.

At least we agree that an ICE will run differently if given different fuels. Extend that to the motors behaving differently with a different power source and we're finally getting somewhere. The former isn't permitted, or would immediately be seen as fraud if used to inflate numbers. You want to allow the latter even though it's the exact same thing as the first for the platform at hand.
I am not an expert in the SAE standards to comment exactly on the fuel, but it appears the standard was changed to add a fuel specification.
http://standards.sae.org/j1995_199506/
It could be possible the Gross standard didn't disallow high octane fuels or nitrous oxide (a search didn't turn up much).

At any rate, I don't agree with the analogy that fuel = battery. To me fuel = electricity in this case. The battery serves more function that fuel does and hard to compare to fuel. A power supply can also simulate battery characteristics by adjusting voltage and current and may make sense to include in a motor test bench. Whereas fuel is not the same (you need a tank and a pump).

However, the main reason I don't agree with the fuel analogy is because it is not necessary for the main argument. SAE gross got higher numbers than SAE net because it allowed automakers to use equipment and calibrations connected to the engine that were not stock. The main reason why they did that was because they were more concerned about the characteristic of the engine than the car as a whole. I don't see how this is different from Tesla's motor power rating.

While your (and Tesla's) interpretation of ECE R85 is definitely in question as far as I'm concerned, I fail to see the relevance of anything I just quoted above. We know how Tesla came to the numbers now thanks to JB Staubel's admission. They tested the motors, individually and independently of the battery and simply summed up the numbers. I'm pretty sure this had been accepted as the official source of the 691 HP number. So I'm not sure the point of the above excerpt. No one is questioning how they arrived at the number anymore, since it has been explained. The problem is the fact that the method they used to arrive at the number is complete BS when used as a spec for the P85D, the car. Again I point out that we bought *cars* from Tesla. Not motors. If I had bought the front and rear motors from Tesla... just the motors... and they gave me an invoice saying they sold me 691 HP worth of motors, I would have no argument. But they sold me a 691 HP *car* that can not produce 691 HP. How is this even in question, especially after admitting it in their own blog?!
I bring up ECE R85 because that is a standard that is accepted in the EU and it seems it doesn't factor in the battery. You were asking me if I feel if a standard that leaves out the battery should be allowed, so I pointed out that out as an example that it IS allowed and approved in the EU at least. That seems very relevant to the discussion. It would be a very different case if I were not able to find any examples of horsepower standards for cars that didn't consider the system as a whole. My argument is that SAE Gross and ECE R85 are two such examples (and Tesla's "motor power" would be the analog to those). As for the rest, Tesla advertised 691 hp "motor power," they didn't advertise 691 hp car power. So far only the Denmark group has a case where Tesla advertised "691 hp performance" because of a bad translation for "motor power".

And as it relates to the whole SAE Gross analogy, you can similarly say back before the 1970s that you were buying a car with say 691 hp of power, not an engine, but SAE gross meant that the car you buy can never produce the 691 hp at any point in the pipeline because during the test it uses headers and calibrations that is not present in the stock vehicle.

At least for this, I think we both misunderstood each other. I was not saying that the motor would output max HP at any RPM. JB was referring to the summed motor power ratings, which is a static number, which makes the sentence in question false. (515 kW < 415 kW)

However, building on that, let's say the car was bolted to the ground, all four tires and the drive units unable to spin at all. The inverters were then commanded to produce maximum power. Now, the motors are not able to spin, but they can exert a force against their entrapment equal to the amount of power input... at 0 RPM... likely ending with the death of some components. This seems counter intuitive, but it doesn't change the definition of 1 HP (electric) being ~746W. The input power doesn't just disappear because the shaft isn't turning. Exactly how much power could be input in this situation I don't know for sure, but I'm damn sure it's far more than represented by the graphs you posted.
You may be parsing Straubel's statement in this way:
"With the P85D the peak combined motor shaft power can often exceed the battery electrical horsepower available."

I am parsing it without the "peak" added, so my interpretation is that Straubel is saying that for the P85D there is a large chunk of the rev range (above ~40mph) where the available combined motor shaft power is higher than the battery hp because of battery limits. However, under that rev range, there is more battery hp available than there is combined motor shaft power. Note I am using mph here because the motors are geared differently, and are synchronized through the road. It is not because I am trying to obfuscate and switch to considering the car as a whole.
"With the P85D the combined motor shaft power can often exceed the battery electrical horsepower available."

I'm not sure if this is true or not, admittedly, because history is definitely not my field. Second hand, a reliable source (real world older friend who is very knowledgeable in auto history) tells me this is nonsense.

Logical thinking, however, is a pretty strong suit of mine. So logically, even if the reasoning for adoption were in fact to under advertise power due to a temporary fuel crisis, why maintain and utilize the same standard for 40+ years after the situation had passed? I mean, people want cars with high horsepower regardless of fuel economy these days when buying a powerful vehicle. No one looks at horsepower ratings as a measure of fuel economy these days, so why doesn't everyone just use SAE gross again to make the numbers look better if that's acceptable? Oh, because inflating the numbers isn't actually acceptable. DOH!
I'm not an expert on the automotive history of that time period either, but the era I'm talking about is referred to as the malaise era. It is my impression the most important point characteristic of that era was the fuel crisis. There were also things like emissions controls and unleaded gas that may have made it a good idea to have a lower advertised number (according to articles posted below). However, I don't believe for a second that automakers would be willing to switch to advertising 25-30% lower numbers out of the goodness of their heart.
As for why it continues, I think is up to a gentleman's agreement. I see it similar to Japan's 276 hp agreement, which continued until 2005 when someone finally broke it. Unless someone breaks from the crowd, everyone tends to like to maintain the status quo. There is no law however requiring automakers stick to a certain standard in all of these cases.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ecifically-what-about-this-1979-ford-granada/
http://ateupwithmotor.com/terms-technology-definitions/gross-versus-net-horsepower/

Last edited:
Please remove wk057 from the ban list!

wk057 is probably the most valuable member on this entire forum!

I took no offense the lol comment! Laughing is not always a response to comedy.

I still stand by my view that it is better for Tesla to advertise motor hp not car hp (battery hp). Clearly Tesla agrees with this view point as do many others. Value is better correlated with motor hp not battery hp. Battery hp would not tell the whole story and would be highly misleading. The battery is not the limiter at all speeds. We can agree to disagree, but there is no reason to ban wk057.

I agree that it would be better to advertise motor hp over battery hp. Battery hp will be more than the motor hp as it's upstream and hasn't suffered conversion losses yet. Motor hp at the motor shafts is equivalent to where the industry specifies power for ICE motor shafts or flywheels.

But I don't agree that Tesla agrees. Tesla thinks it's ok to sum the motor capabilities together even if the motors can never produce the specified power in combination. A simplified example. D car comes with 500 hp motor rear and 500 hp motor front. The battery can only drive 500 hp worth of motor at once. The drive train can drive the front, or the rear, or some combination in between. The total power produced at the motor shafts combined is 500 hp minus the conversion losses to get through the inverter and convert electricity into kinetic energy.

Tesla would advertise this car as a 1000 hp car but in reality in makes less than 500 hp at the motor shafts combined because the system as a whole is battery constrained. But I didn't buy two 500 hp motors. I bought a car that as delivered from the factory only produces 500 hp. Again this is an example for simplification. Substitute the actual motors shipped in the car and 555 hp at the battery.

Years ago when I got my NSX and was active in the associated forums there used to be a big controversy. How could a 270 HP, 3000 lb NSX perform similar and occasionally better than a 350-400 HP 3000 lb Corvette. Clearly someone was lying. Clearly someone was trying to deceive. And yet it was fact.

All things are not equal and JBS was right on track. It's not always obvious why things are so and yet for those engineers, physicists out there it all can be explained.

JBS did a fine job of trying to explain the issue to the layman.

The problem with specifying just motor shaft HP independent of what the entire system can produce, is that it becomes meaningless.

Tesla could swap a new 650+HP motor in the back of the current cars, and advertise 900HP, and be "correct". Yet the car wouldn't perform any better, as a result of the bottleneck being somewhere up the line (battery, fuse, wiring, inverter, etc...).

Swapping a 500HP-capable engine in to your muscle car doesn't make it a 500HP car if the fuel pump can only deliver fuel at a rate that supports 350HP...

(see also: VW faces customer class-action lawsuits if they permanently enable their emissions controls as it would lower HP ratings for the car.... despite the engine being capable of full HP, it's being limited by some other component in the vehicle makes it false advertising to tout a HP number the car cannot deliver)

This is wrong. If the P85 and P85D were both limited to let's say only 200hp max power draw on the battery no matter what (for illustrative purposed), the P85D would still accelerate much faster from a stop, yet both cars would be advertised as having 200hp. This is independent of AWD. The battery is not the limiter on output power to the wheels at all speeds. The problem is only going to get worse when you have a 1600 motor hp Telsa Roadster with 4 motors (4 wheel torque vectoring), yet the battery hp may still only be half that. Battery hp does not correlate with value. Battery hp does not correlate with overall performance.

Last edited:
This is wrong. If the P85 and P85D were both limited to let's say only 200hp max power draw on the battery no matter what (for illustrative purposed), the P85D would still accelerate much faster from a stop, yet both cars would be advertised as having 200hp. This is independent of AWD. The battery is not the limiter on output power to the wheels at all speeds. The problem is only going to get worse when you have a 1600 motor hp Telsa Roadster with 4 motors (4 wheel torque vectoring), yet the battery hp may still only be half that. Battery hp does not correlate with value. Battery hp does not correlate with overall performance.

On what technical basis do you make your assertions and conclusions? Do you have any math formulas or physics-based equations of motion to prove any of these statements?

This is wrong.

Yet you don't indicate where you feel this to be the case.

You are conflating several different ideas (not to mention terms and units).

Specifically:

If the P85 and P85D were both limited to let's say only 200hp max power draw on the battery

Electrical loads typically measure the energy they draw in units associated with electricity, such as watts. But given that 1HP = 746W , The point is understood. (i.e.- both motors may draw up to 149.2kW)

the P85D would still accelerate much faster from a stop, yet both cars would be advertised as having 200hp.

Rather than explain to you why this assertion may not hold, please answer the following: Given two systems with equal efficiency in converting electrical energy in to mechanical energy, yet one is rated with a higher maximum power draw, which will generate more locomotive force given each is power limited at the same 149.2 kW, which is below it's maximum threshold?

Please show your work.

This is independent of AWD.

Unfortunately, that undermines your point above even further, as it simplifies the comparison.

The battery is not the limiter on output power to the wheels at all speeds.

This may be true. It may be a fuse, wiring, inverter, thermal limit, etc... All of which argue for rating the sytem as a whole and against simply specifying theoretical maximum motor HP.

The problem is only going to get worse when you have a 1600 motor hp Telsa Roadster with 4 motors (4 wheel torque vectoring), yet the battery hp may still only be half that.

Do you then have a 1600HP Tesla Roadster, or a 800HP cart to haul oversized motors around in?

Bonus question: If there's a motor upgrade from 400HP per motor to 500HP, what is the car now rated at? What is the new version's 1/4 mile time as compared to the old?

Battery hp does not correlate with value.

I'm not sure what this even means in the context of trying to accurately rate HP.

Battery hp does not correlate with overall performance.
Please 1/4 mile an S60 and an S85 and report back how this statement is (in)accurate.

(and again, batteries are not typically measured in HP)

Last edited:
This car delivers everything they said it would and more.

Well, except 691HP :wink:

Incidentally, I'm not outraged. I've followed all along the threads that demonstrate that this isn't true, and never really cared to chime in.

I was disappointed (again, different than "outrage") over the technical ...um.... "glossing over" in his post. My comments here are addressing technically incorrect assertions that are being made, as well as questionable justifications for the issue at hand, IMO.

Yet you don't indicate where you feel this to be the case.

You are conflating several different ideas (not to mention terms and units).

Specifically:

Electrical loads typically measure the energy they draw in units associated with electricity, such as watts. But given that 1HP = 746W , The point is understood. (i.e.- both motors may draw up to 149.2kW)

Rather than explain to you why this assertion may not hold, please answer the following: Given two systems with equal efficiency in converting electrical energy in to mechanical energy, yet one is rated with a higher maximum power draw, which will generate more locomotive force given each is power limited at the same 149.2 kW, which is below it's maximum threshold?

Please show your work.

Unfortunately, that undermines your point above even further, as it simplifies the comparison.

This may be true. It may be a fuse, wiring, inverter, thermal limit, etc... All of which argue for rating the sytem as a whole and against simply specifying theoretical maximum motor HP.

Do you then have a 1600HP Tesla Roadster, or a 800HP cart to haul oversized motors around in?

Bonus question: If there's a motor upgrade from 400HP per motor to 500HP, what is the car now rated at? What is the new version's 1/4 mile time as compared to the old?

I'm not sure what this even means in the context of trying to accurately rate HP.

Please 1/4 mile an S60 and an S85 and report back how this statement is (in)accurate.

(and again, batteries are not typically measured in HP)

HP and watts or kW are the same thing in this context. Way to be pedantic. I suggest you play around with a motor simulator such as and limit the battery power (aka horsepower). Note phase amps limit is not the same as the battery amp limit.

Here is a free one
Motor Simulator - Tools

Well, except 691HP :wink:

Incidentally, I'm not outraged. I've followed all along the threads that demonstrate that this isn't true, and never really cared to chime in.

I was disappointed (again, different than "outrage") over the technical ...um.... "glossing over" in his post. My comments here are addressing technically incorrect assertions that are being made, as well as questionable justifications for the issue at hand, IMO.

Taken out of context. That was directly after the sentence saying its performance that matters. I suspect your comment was a bit tongue in cheek, though.

HP and watts or kW are the same thing in this context. Way to be pedantic. I suggest you play around with a motor simulator such as and limit the battery power (aka horsepower). Note phase amps limit is not the same as the battery amp limit.

Here is a free one
Motor Simulator - Tools

I already pointed out the HP-KW equivalency. But yes, I am being spcific, because you are not.

If you want to explore this, please address the issues raised with your assertions, rather than brush the crux of the entire post off to go play with a simulator.

(And yes, I'm familiar with current being out of phase with voltage in an induction circuit such as a motor. Note that it does not affect the scenarios described above, nor do you explain why you think such might justify your assertions. Note: there are also power factor correction circuits that may be employed.)

This will be off-topic too, but it's a direct response, and on topic to what's just transpired.

I, for one, most certainly appreciate the work that you and the other mods do. I've said so in the past, I've thanked mods personally and privately, and in my most recent post asking that wk057's banning be reconsidered I even pointed out that the mods do moderate even-handedly. You guys have a generally thankless and very difficult job, and I recognize that.

All that being said, I don't agree with the banning of wk057. I don't think his transgressions came close to warranting that kind of drastic action. I've seen far worse personal attacks, some from posters who really rarely offer anything of value to the community. I think this banning was a mistake. I hope it can and will be corrected.

I fail to see how it can reasonably expected that anyone who contributes to the level that wk057 contributes can always remain civil especially when dealing with a contentious topic such as the topic on hand. If I put as much time and energy into it as he did of course occasionally I'd fly off the cuff. From what I could tell a good part of this discussion thread was due to what he himself contributed. Now I'm not saying that his contributions buys him the right to be rude, of course not. But, what I am saying is see it within the context of the bigger picture. Is he normally a reasonable, and friendly person?

Sure with him gone things will be less contentious, but that's because people won't know any better.

Due to informative value of the majority of his post I'd like some public explanation from the site admins as to why he got banned. I haven't seen anything he said rise the level of being banned even for someone who contributes 1/10th of what he does.

Last edited:
I already pointed out the HP-KW equivalency. But yes, I am being spcific, because you are not.

If you want to explore this, please address the issues raised with your assertions, rather than brush the crux of the entire post off to go play with a simulator.

(And yes, I'm familiar with current being out of phase with voltage in an induction circuit such as a motor. Note that it does not affect the scenarios described above, nor do you explain why you think such might justify your assertions. Note: there are also power factor correction circuits that may be employed.)

This has nothing to do with the power factor. A controller has a phase amp limit and a battery amp limit. The same car driven with two controllers with the same battery limit but different phase amp limit would not accelerate at the same rate assuming the controller was hitting the phase amp limits at low rpm. The two systems could still hit the same peak hp number assuming peak hp was not being limited by by the phase amp limit (safeassumption