Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla banned me from purchasing another Tesla after vehicle buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the dealership service business and there where around 5% of our customers I had to divorce. Sometime you can never satisfy these people no matter what you do, many of which I sat down with and reviewed there file and asked them to find another dealership to service their vehicle.
You remind me of a friend. In over 30 years I never heard him ever say he was happy with any product. In fact, he complained about everything; products, doctors, home builder, stores, etc. I'm certainly NOT suggesting OP is one of these people. We all have a bad product experience at one time or another, yet there is nothing my friend is ever satisfied with. I call him the "Customer from Hell." He laughs and says "YES".

Disgruntled Customer: I don't want the car I have. Give me a new one
Tesla: No, but we will make you whole.

As for Tesla refusing to sell him another car -- good move, Tesla.

Inaccurate summary. He never asked for a new car, just that Tesla do what they were obligated to do and instead of that they bailed and cut their nose to spite their face.

I've read about the UV fix.

I'm lucky enough to have not needed it. Bubble- and yellow-free. Moderate heat in PA and rarely parked in the sun. Cabin Overheat Protection always on (if any of that matters.)

Condition of my current screen is one of the reasons I am not doing an MCU2 upgrade. The new replacement screen might be quicker to yellow.
I think the yellowing problem was with a certain batch of screens and hopefully the new ones don't have that problem. I haven't heard of any yellow screen problems in quite a while.
(The MCU2 upgrade is great.)

Reactions: WhiteWi and BigNick
You remind me of a friend. In over 30 years I never heard him ever say he was happy with any product. In fact, he complained about everything; products, doctors, home builder, stores, etc. I'm certainly NOT suggesting OP is one of these people. We all have a bad product experience at one time or another, yet there is nothing my friend is ever satisfied with. I call him the "Customer from Hell." He laughs and says "YES".
I think people who are stretched financially and socially tend to be more anxious about things they have purchased. They seem to be looking for negative feedback and are worried that they made the wrong decision and "got taken for a ride".

A more apt comparison would be burn-on computer screens, or UV damage to upholstery. How about yellowing headlights ?
Admittedly, those are better comparisons, but I thought burn-in went away with CRT displays about 20 years ago. There are headlight restoration kits available, though I haven't needed one myself. UV damage to plastics and fabrics is kind of well known, some products claim to protect against this. So if you follow that logic, someone should make a UV-protecting screen cover. Crap, I just gave away my idea.

Reactions: FlatSix911
UV treatment has proven to be temporary in many cases

UV treatment was done three times to my car (during the same week). Unfortunately it did not sufficiently eliminate the yellow borders. After insisting, Tesla did replace the screen. After 6-12 months the replacement screen again developed a yellow border.

Would anyone know if Tesla has been able to develop a permanent solution for the problem (for the screens they use in vertical configuration)?

Last edited: