Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot: What happens if you fall asleep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't recall watching that. Link?

I tried to find the video where Elon said this but I cannot find it.

I did find this though.

""What happens is the car will occasionally ask the driver to put their hands on the wheel. What’s happening is the car needs to determine if the driver is attentive. If there’s no response (driver putting hands on wheel) the car starts beeping warning sounds, and if the driver fails to respond for long enough a time the car starts slowing down and will pull to the side of the road."

WARNING: Tesla Autopilot mode is not full autonomous driving, pay attention while | The Long Tail Pipe

I did find this though.

""What happens is the car will occasionally ask the driver to put their hands on the wheel. What’s happening is the car needs to determine if the driver is attentive. If there’s no response (driver putting hands on wheel) the car starts beeping warning sounds, and if the driver fails to respond for long enough a time the car starts slowing down and will pull to the side of the road."

WARNING: Tesla Autopilot mode is not full autonomous driving, pay attention while | The Long Tail Pipe

Yeah, seems like more people/journalists misinterpreting Tesla's statements.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
A few years ago, friend of mine's wife fell asleep while driving their minivan with the whole family aboard - 5 kids. It rolled. Most of the kids had injuries, some fairly serious.

If it had been a Tesla on autopilot, they would have stopped on the highway. More likely one of them would have noticed the alarm before then.

Draw your own conclusions.

It's ironic that we're undoubtedly going to see in the mainstream media far more hand wringing, worrying, and discussing about what's to happen when a semi-autonomous vehicle's driver is incapacitated than about what happens to a fully manual vehicle when the driver is incapacitated. The former is virtually assured to produce a better result, yet it's the greater source of worry and concern.

I did find this though.

When I made the video, I was in the far right lane. Maybe I can try to do another video where I'm in the left lane and see if it pulls over to the right. I highly doubt it will though

Sleeping motorists are one of the leading causes of death to bicyclists and pedestrians, as they tend to drift right with the crown of the roadway into the shoulder/sidewalk - this is very likely an improvement to public safety. Even if the stopped AP vehicle is rear-ended at full speed by another vehicle, it is less likely to be fatal as would be the case with motor vehicle v "soft user" scenario. Obviously, it would be ideal for the AP vehicle to safely park on the shoulder or exit the highway but from what I could see on the display, AP wasn't detecting a lane or shoulder to the right.

I wanted to create this video to show what happens if someone falls asleep with Autopliot engaged. What do you guys think? Safe or not?

Tesla Autopilot: Falling Asleep - Safe or Dangerous, you decide! - YouTube

The thing that worries me the most is that when the car comes to a stop after slowing down due to no reaction, the car will speed back up again if he puts his foot on the pedal WITHOUT putting his hands on the wheel. What if you fall unconscious or are having a seizure and your foot puts the pedal to the metal?!

We can all come up with situations that, under the right circumstances, are dangerous. I really think that Tesla has come up with a pretty good system that is far superior to the current system. Is it perfect in every circumstance? Definitely not. It is still better than the alternative of driving off the road and into the unknown. There have got to be hundreds, if not thousands, of deaths due to falling asleep at the wheel every year. This is not the perfect solution, but it is a serious improvement. Just sayin'...

What if you fall unconscious or are having a seizure and your foot puts the pedal to the metal?!

What would happen in regular car without AP?

We can all come up with situations that, under the right circumstances, are dangerous. I really think that Tesla has come up with a pretty good system that is far superior to the current system. Is it perfect in every circumstance? Definitely not. It is still better than the alternative of driving off the road and into the unknown. There have got to be hundreds, if not thousands, of deaths due to falling asleep at the wheel every year. This is not the perfect solution, but it is a serious improvement. Just sayin'...

What would happen in regular car without AP?

Oh don't get me wrong... I don't doubt the safety or massive improvement that AP offers (my Model 3 is reserved!), but I just see an opportunity for an improvement here -- in order to get the car moving again, require that the hands be put on the steering wheel when you press the accelerator again after the emergency slowdown/stop.