Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I paid for Enhanced Autopilot but it won't turn on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And when I go to Autopilot & try to turn on Navigate on Autopilot (Beta), the info screen comes up but the "yes" button is greyed out, so I can't turn it on.

Tesla service is closed today, their website "Ask a Question" form never comes up (damn annoying) showing only links which are useless, so I decide to bother you kind folks here.

Am I missing something (which is usually the case) or do I need to talk to Tesla.

TIA,
Richard

Reactions: zoomer0056
I'll double check, its been a busy day.

Thanks!
Yes, and I did it again, twice. But when I try to enable "Navigate on Autopilot (Beta)" the "Yes button is not clickable:
1706530057589.png

Called Tesla, 1st line tech support couldn't figure it out and had me start a service request in the app. Then it occurred to me that as with lots of agreements online, you have to scroll all the way down to pretend you've read it before you can press the "accept" button or whatever.

SO, I brought the screen up again, moved the text message a bit (even though it fills the screen), and THEN I was able to click the yes button.

Sheesh! :mad:

Would be nice if they gave you any hint that you had to scroll down to accept. UI designers are so far down the how clean and sparse can we make it that they lost the plot entirely, not doing their first job, which is make it easy for the user to understand what's going on.

Sorry for the rant, glad you figured it out.

Um. Haven't seen this answered yet, so let me take a whack at it:

We have:
  1. Standard Autopilot. Lanekeep and Traffic Aware Cruise Control. No Navigate on Autopilot. Won't change lanes on its own.
  2. Enhanced Autopilot. Available, I think, at an extra cost to those with Standard Autopilot. Adds Navigate on Autopilot. On local roads, will stop at stop lights and stop signs. And, with stop lights, will stop at them even if they're green. Except if there's a car in front of one, in which case it'll follow that car through the light. Won't turn right/turn left, at least on local roads. On restricted access roads, will do on-ramps, off-ramps, do the LK/TACC dance, and will, with the right options set, change lanes on its own. Hit the turn signal and it'll change lanes, looking out for others in blind spots/right next to one. If there's two interstates crossing each other, will take the off-ramp of one interstate onto the on-ramp of the other interstate, if that's where one's route goes.
  3. FSD. All of the above, but will navigate local roads. Available for rental, a month at a time, or in One Pile, which, I think, is $12k. This one attempts to drive like a human with variable results, which is why it's beta.
I wish that Tesla made what version of what one had a bit more obvious, but it is in there. Go to the Software tab on the car. Under the bit where it says that one has a fancy computer, I have the following on one car that has Enhanced Autopilot:

Enhanced Autopilot

Included Package

On the car that has FSD, it has the following:

Full Self Driving​

Included Package

If your car has neither of those, then you've got Standard Autopilot. In which case you shouldn't have NoA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alonzo
Um. Haven't seen this answered yet, so let me take a whack at it:

We have:
  1. Standard Autopilot. Lanekeep and Traffic Aware Cruise Control. No Navigate on Autopilot. Won't change lanes on its own.
  2. Enhanced Autopilot. Available, I think, at an extra cost to those with Standard Autopilot. Adds Navigate on Autopilot. On local roads, will stop at stop lights and stop signs. And, with stop lights, will stop at them even if they're green. Except if there's a car in front of one, in which case it'll follow that car through the light. Won't turn right/turn left, at least on local roads. On restricted access roads, will do on-ramps, off-ramps, do the LK/TACC dance, and will, with the right options set, change lanes on its own. Hit the turn signal and it'll change lanes, looking out for others in blind spots/right next to one. If there's two interstates crossing each other, will take the off-ramp of one interstate onto the on-ramp of the other interstate, if that's where one's route goes.
  3. FSD. All of the above, but will navigate local roads. Available for rental, a month at a time, or in One Pile, which, I think, is $12k. This one attempts to drive like a human with variable results, which is why it's beta.
I wish that Tesla made what version of what one had a bit more obvious, but it is in there. Go to the Software tab on the car. Under the bit where it says that one has a fancy computer, I have the following on one car that has Enhanced Autopilot:

Enhanced Autopilot

Included Package

On the car that has FSD, it has the following:

Full Self Driving​

Included Package

If your car has neither of those, then you've got Standard Autopilot. In which case you shouldn't have NoA.
Great summary, thanks!

You must know where one gets auto-park too. Can I ask you what package that comes with?

TIA - Richard

Great summary, thanks!

You must know where one gets auto-park too. Can I ask you what package that comes with?

TIA - Richard
If memory serves, Autopark is part of FSD. But one gets summon, I think, in EAP. Hang on a sec, let me go find the comparative chart over at Tesla:

Yep, here it is: https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot

Looking that over, one gets autopark and summon with EAP. At the moment, with the vision versions of the Teslas (no radar or ultrasonic sensors) summon pretty much doesn't work. My SO's car, a 2021 MY, has a working summon, at least for the purposes of backing it out of the garage and all.

Last year this time Summon and Autopark were working on those cars with EAP and FSD. However, there was a Mass Switch in software away from using the ultrasonic sensors, which were also discontinued in new cars. (I may be a little off on the timing.)

We're supposed to get Actually Smart Summon, presumably with Autopark, later on this quarter.

The SO and I took our 2018 M3 that had EAP at the time to a nice, big, empty parking lot and tried the Summon. It worked, but you had to be within a couple hundred feet and it was Highly Recommended that one keeps one's eyes on the car. At least with that version, it takes about 3X as long for the car to come to you as it would take to walk out there; it'll be slower if there's any other traffic out there, and it won't cross roads. About the only use case I've been able to think of is if one is at a restaurant in a parking lot and it's pouring down rain.. But if it's raining too hard, given how well (or, rather, how not well) FSD works in a downpour, it's still questionable as to how useful that use case would be.

The summon is cool, though, when somebody has parked Really Close to the driver's side door and one can't get in.

The autopark is OK useful in a parking lot, where it'll back into a spot, about 1.5 to 2x slower than a human. It doesn't hit things, though, unlike a human. It does a slightly better job than a human parallel parking on a street, in that it takes But One Try to get into a spot, unlike humans, who tend to go back and forth a lot.

Yep, just checked: The SO's 2021 MY with EAP has summon on the app; the 2023 M3 with FSD does not.

Bummer. I was really looking forward to that. How disappointing. What's particularly annoying is I saw no mention that the car I got didn't have it when buying it in November.(or I missed that which is entirely possible.).
So, what do you have? Standard Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, or FSD?

I’m actually mildly surprised that you have the NoA screen at all if you don’t have at least EAP.

Bummer. I was really looking forward to that. How disappointing. What's particularly annoying is I saw no mention that the car I got didn't have it when buying it in November.(or I missed that which is entirely possible.).
When I bought in November, I had to electronically sign a disclaimer that the autopark, summon, etc would not work. It would be easy to overlook it since at that time Tesla was inundating me with texts and emails, but I remember it. :)

I have EAP.
If you've got EAP, you should have NoA, LK, TACC, and the car will stop at stoplights. You might not have the autopark, but that will be coming.

So, we're back to your original question: NoA should be enableable on your car. If not, then there's a Problem.

If you want to chat about what you've done or not done, here on the forum, please have at it. But this is actually a time when going to the app and putting in a service request for help may very well be in order.

If you go the service request route, you're more than encouraged to put things like pictures in the request, so that picture you took of the screen where the NoA thing had the "accept" greyed out looks like a good idea for that. My experience with the app/service-request route has been good; one usually gets responses within a day and one can chat with the advisor; sometimes they'll actually call you. The Tesla types can look at your car remotely, especially if it's a software issue, and can reinstall software if necessary.

Just a couple of questions for you: The app on your phone is up to date? There's no other, "Agree to this before continuing" dialogs you skipped over? When running on EAP these days, you do have to enable the on-board camera, thanks to our friends at the NHTSA, so if you turned off all data sharing, that might be a reason for what you're seeing. Please note that I'm guessing.

On the data sharing front: Tesla, unlike what I've heard about news reports from other auto manufacturers, absolutely does not sell your data, or "anonymized" data. The one semi-scandal I heard about this was that, apparently, the data that was being collected (for the purposes of improving FSD and the like) was being accessed by Tesla employees who were not involved in FSD/EAP/whatever. Once found out, said servers were locked down. Don't know if anybody was fired, though.

One last thing. Back when the SO and I got her a Model Y, she stated that she definitely wanted to cheap out, so No EAP nor FSD, etc. We got the car in 2021 and it came with a trial version of FSD. With FSD, one can set the software for either Standard Autopilot, EAP-style Autopilot, or FSD. (There's actually three buttons in a line..) When the trial ended, and the 2018 M3 still running FSD, she was back to Standard Autopilot. We took the her car on a trip or two.

Changing lanes with Standard Autopilot is straightforward, and not particularly awkward: One just puts on the turn signal, turn the steering wheel over the slight bump so it disengages, and go into the new lane, keeping one's own eyes open for other cars, although the blind spot indicator will show if somebody is out there. Then one has to re-engage SA by hitting on the lever again, and one is off down the road again.

But, with EAP, one can just hit the turn signal and the car will shift lanes on its own, keeping an eye out (with all the cameras) for not only people in the blind spot, but speeders or whatever coming up on the blind spot. So, no question, EAP is safer on interstates. After some discussion, we decided that EAP, which I think is half the cost of FSD, was the way to go; she could do without the (at the time) craziness associated with the Beta FSD package. And that's where her car is, at present. EAP is definitely worthwhile and has everything that FSD has, except for the city streets.

Last edited: