Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app forced me to set up phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
Like title says, this morning I went to turn on climate in my car but no controls were available when it opened. I could get to service and all that but not one vehicle control was available to me. The only thing was a banner telling me to set up phone key. Once I did that, all controls were visible again.

I don't really mind the phone key but I really don't like being forced as I am still an old fashioned "fob" guy. I don't like my phone as a key because I frequently leave my phone in the car. Not sure what to do about this but anyone have any insight?

Thanks

I noticed that change a few months ago, because I have the Tesla app on both an iPhone (set up as a phone key) and iPad (not set up). My iPad lost the ability to access controls or to initiate and monitor software updates, which for me is the bigger issue. I still get notified about software updates on both devices, but I can’t do anything about them on the iPad. I assumed that setting up the iPad as a phone key would fix that, which the OP confirmed.

Reactions: Alset2
I've noticed a change in the last few weeks. After having driven, and stopped for something...but never removed my iPhone from the car, it'll ask me to tap the card to the center console. I attributed it to my having left the car to load groceries.

Reactions: Alset2
Just turn off phone as key in the setting in the Tesla App.
No such item in the settings menu. I too want to access controls through the app, but do not want to use my phone as a key (tried that for several months and it's a massive failure for my lifestyle). It would be awesome if there was a switch to turn off the phone as a key, and still have app controls, but . . . Is there a workaround?

No such item in the settings menu. I too want to access controls through the app, but do not want to use my phone as a key (tried that for several months and it's a massive failure for my lifestyle). It would be awesome if there was a switch to turn off the phone as a key, and still have app controls, but . . . Is there a workaround?
. . . on further investigation, there is a switch in the app - it's not in settings though, found it in Security & Drivers.

Reactions: brkaus
I am having the same issue on my iPad. I am being prompted to set up the device as a key. I’d rather not have the iPad set up as a key, but I don’t have a Security and Drivers tab on my app’s main page. It’s on my iPhone’s app main page though. Both devices are on version 4.28.2-2157. Any ideas how I might get the Security and Drivers tab on the iPad?

I am having the same issue on my iPad. I am being prompted to set up the device as a key. I’d rather not have the iPad set up as a key, but I don’t have a Security and Drivers tab on my app’s main page. It’s on my iPhone’s app main page though. Both devices are on version 4.28.2-2157. Any ideas how I might get the Security and Drivers tab on the iPad?
Yes. Follow the instructions in the previous replies, i.e., set up your iPad as a phone key, which will give you the Security and Drivers tab, then turn off the phone key feature there.