Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App for the Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, the Apple watch can now be ordered, and many Tesla fans will get one, just because they can and love tech, not because it is really needed (me for one).

What a cool cross-pollination promo it would be to include a Sport Apple Watch with every new Tesla. If you already have an Apple Watch, your niece (or significant other, or whomever) gets your lagniappe. They become future potential customers.

Of course, a Tesla sourced app for the watch would be included.

The media coverage alone would cover the cost relative to actual advertising. The association may benefit both companies, not that either really needs it.

OK, the Apple watch can now be ordered, and many Tesla fans will get one, just because they can and love tech, not because it is really needed (me for one).

What a cool cross-pollination promo it would be to include a Sport Apple Watch with every new Tesla. If you already have an Apple Watch, your niece (or significant other, or whomever) gets your lagniappe. They become future potential customers.

Of course, a Tesla sourced app for the watch would be included.

The media coverage alone would cover the cost relative to actual advertising. The association may benefit both companies, not that either really needs it.

A "Tesla" edition would be cool.

Yes the Apple Watch is designed to be used with an iPhone, but in an Apple Watch review posted yesterday by David Pogue at Yahoo says it will do some things without being connected to an iPhone The Apple Watch: Half Computer, Half Jewelry, Mostly Magical

Quote: "And here’s a surprising feature that Apple hasn’t said anything about previously: When the watch is in a known Wi-Fi hotspot, the watch can perform the most essential online functions even when your phone is completely dead, turned off, or absent. It can query Siri, for example, send and receive texts, and send/receive drawings and tap patterns to other watch owners. That’s impressive."

I ordered an Apple Watch at 0015 this morning. I couldn't resist...

Last edited:
We ordered two. Wife has Tesla S60 and a 42mm Watch w/Milanese band coming. My Tesla is an 85D with a 38mm Black Sport watch coming. We both have the same hopes that a Tesla app comes out. Her car in particular would benefit, being non-tech, as it would allow her potentially a way to unlock her car w/o fishing the key from her big purse. :)

We ordered two. Wife has Tesla S60 and a 42mm Watch w/Milanese band coming. My Tesla is an 85D with a 38mm Black Sport watch coming. We both have the same hopes that a Tesla app comes out. Her car in particular would benefit, being non-tech, as it would allow her potentially a way to unlock her car w/o fishing the key from her big purse. :)

Why does the key need to come out of the purse to work?

Why does the key need to come out of the purse to work?

Non tech didn't have auto present handles and proximity unlock as an option, I think? She could have fished around in the purse and hit the button without taking it out, but regardless would need to hit the fob vs. just walk up.

Correct, ra-san ... my wife's car is a 2014 S60 non-tech package car. She lacks features like power lift gate, memory seating, folding dimming mirrors, just to name a few. But the biggest one (besides the memory seating for us both driving it) that niggles me is definitely the lack of the auto sensing key fob. It isn't really a huge deal for me to unlock, but I have forgotten a few times to lock it behind me (since my 85D does this automatically). Having the watch, and with an app (potentially) from Tesla, it could be far easier. It would be REALLY awesome to be able to just ask Siri to "unlock my car" ... the future is coming! (winter is coming?)

Yes the Apple Watch is designed to be used with an iPhone, but in an Apple Watch review posted yesterday by David Pogue at Yahoo says it will do some things without being connected to an iPhone The Apple Watch: Half Computer, Half Jewelry, Mostly Magical

Quote: "And here’s a surprising feature that Apple hasn’t said anything about previously: When the watch is in a known Wi-Fi hotspot, the watch can perform the most essential online functions even when your phone is completely dead, turned off, or absent. It can query Siri, for example, send and receive texts, and send/receive drawings and tap patterns to other watch owners. That’s impressive."

I ordered an Apple Watch at 0015 this morning. I couldn't resist...

As far as I understand it, the "offline" features are still piggybacking off the settings it gets from the associated iPhone when it's paired; you still need an iPhone 5S or higher to set it up and use it, even if it can do some things without having it in range at the moment.

As far as I understand it, the "offline" features are still piggybacking off the settings it gets from the associated iPhone when it's paired; you still need an iPhone 5S or higher to set it up and use it, even if it can do some things without having it in range at the moment.

I read that quote about the watch's capabilities when the phone is off. it sounds like it is using the same iCloud based capability of Macs and iPads to receive SMS and iMessages when not near the phone (i.e. iCloud keeps a unique reference to the device and routes messages to it in parallel to the iPhone, not just through the iPhone).

So, you'd still need to be on a known wifi network and it would be be very limited functionality. 3rd party apps would not work likely. However, if we can ever get an IFTTT type of SMS integration, i.e. send a SMS to trigger actions, then it would be possible.

I agree that seems likely. I suspect that while the Watch may be able send texts without being in contact with an iPhone, the texts will only be received by another iPhone or Apple Watch, not by an Android device or other cell phone.

I read that quote about the watch's capabilities when the phone is off. it sounds like it is using the same iCloud based capability of Macs and iPads to receive SMS and iMessages when not near the phone (i.e. iCloud keeps a unique reference to the device and routes messages to it in parallel to the iPhone, not just through the iPhone).

So, you'd still need to be on a known wifi network and it would be be very limited functionality. 3rd party apps would not work likely. However, if we can ever get an IFTTT type of SMS integration, i.e. send a SMS to trigger actions, then it would be possible.

Summon and sending my Model S into the garage...

The killer app will be a self-driving car, and a Watch app... so you can yell into your watch "Get over here KITT, there's trouble!"

Yea, I am waiting for such feature!
I would be happy if I could send the Model S in and out of my garage when my Roadster is in there too. Because I am unable to open either doors when both cars are in the garage. (OK... remove the soft-top from the Roadster and hop-in via top would work)

Any idea which Tesla-version we must wait for till self-driving is enabled? Only then we can dream about such Apple Watch...

Yea, I am waiting for such feature!
I would be happy if I could send the Model S in and out of my garage when my Roadster is in there too. Because I am unable to open either doors when both cars are in the garage. (OK... remove the soft-top from the Roadster and hop-in via top would work)

Any idea which Tesla-version we must wait for till self-driving is enabled? Only then we can dream about such Apple Watch...

Autopilot and this feature will probably come out by the end of this year by current estimates. If Tesla doesn't create an Apple Watch app, I'll add it to my current Remote S app.