Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Northern Wisconsin, Zero?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kpanda17

Oct 17, 2022
USA
Guys
I called WI Tesla today and asked a few questions due to me being a temp resident for a year or more in Wausau area:
Any place I can rent a Tesla? They had no idea, Also Toro shows none locally
How do I buy a Tesla in WI? You cannot, have to buy via the app/ok, but pickup in IL or Minn, crazy
Ev state purchase rebates? None

What’s going on with Tesla in WI??? How about support for EVs in general?

Also, how will a M3RWD perform in WI winters? Charging, Snow driving

Guys
I called WI Tesla today and asked a few questions due to me being a temp resident for a year or more in Wausau area:
Any place I can rent a Tesla? They had no idea, Also Toro shows none locally
How do I buy a Tesla in WI? You cannot, have to buy via the app/ok, but pickup in IL or Minn, crazy
Ev state purchase rebates? None

What’s going on with Tesla in WI??? How about support for EVs in general?

Also, how will a M3RWD perform in WI winters? Charging, Snow driving
Teslas perform fine in snow driving, great actually. RWD isn’t optimal, but it’ll be better than any other ICE RWD. That said, dual motor is what you want in snow country. As for charging, what are asking? Do you take long trips? Around town driving, can you charge at your house? Check out PlugShare.com to see supercharger locations on the routes you might drive for long distance driving. Assume you’ll get 60% of quoted range in the cold. You can also use ABetterRoutePlanner.com to plan out routes and it’ll tell you total drive times including charging stops.

Reactions: STUtoday
Teslas perform fine in snow driving, great actually. RWD isn’t optimal, but it’ll be better than any other ICE RWD. That said, dual motor is what you want in snow country. As for charging, what are asking? Do you take long trips? Around town driving, can you charge at your house? Check out PlugShare.com to see supercharger locations on the routes you might drive for long distance driving. Assume you’ll get 60% of quoted range in the cold. You can also use ABetterRoutePlanner.com to plan out routes and it’ll tell you total drive times including charging stops.
Thanks
I’ll be local to Wausau, but will venture out so mostly 20 miles a day and then once in a while, the big drives of 250 miles. Got it for the apps and good answer on rhe expected range in cold at 60%.

What about my other Qs?
What is rhe EV sentiment in WI?
Why no state EV rebates?
How many Ts do you see on the road?

Wausau seems to be a Tesla desert. On Toro I see Teslas to rent in Green Bay and Madison.

The EV revolution is still in its infancy is the more isolated areas of the US. It is what it is.
The issue in WI appears to mostly be that the auto dealers (NADA, etc) have a strong grip on the state government. Other than that:
The University of Wisconsin - Madison is very strong in electric motor and power electronics for EVs.
JB Straubel, CTO for Tesla's growth, is from WI
The EV revolution is still in its infancy is the more isolated areas of the US.
The University of Wisconsin - Madison is known as "the UC Berkeley of the midwest".
Wisconsin, home to Robert Lafollette, is hardly non-progressive although the culture across the state is definitely more mixed than the coastal US and northern WI tends to be more conservative while the south tends to be more heavily industrial.

The Wausau area tends to be heavily about the lumber and paper industry, as well as outdoor recreation. However, while not California, and EVs are probably not as plentiful as in the southern part of the state, there will be plenty of EV drivers around.

I’m liking the friendliness of WI ians
Generally, "Wisconson-ites" is the term. "Cheese-head" is not a derogatory term but mostly applies at Packers games.

You'll find them all, including a-holes and d-bags too. As with anywhere: If anyone looks funny at you and comments in a non-positive way about your Tesla (there are pockets of unenlightened), tell them you're saving gas for their car/truck - it defuses a lot of issues and may get them to think. Then be ready to answer all of the questions (range, where to charge, how it handles cold, how much to charge, etc).

I'm not sure where you're from but there's a different definition of cold in WI. Be prepared to get very warm clothes.

Look for home charging so you can keep your car warm overnight. ICE has the same problem or worse. Supercharging a cold-soaked Tesla when it is -10F ambient is a very slow process.

Reactions: kingzorb
Generally, "Wisconson-ites" is the term. "Cheese-head" is not a derogatory term but mostly applies at Packers games.

You'll find them all, including a-holes and d-bags too. As with anywhere: If anyone looks funny at you and comments in a non-positive way about your Tesla (there are pockets of unenlightened), tell them you're saving gas for their car/truck - it defuses a lot of issues and may get them to think. Then be ready to answer all of the questions (range, where to charge, how it handles cold, how much to charge, etc).

I'm not sure where you're from but there's a different definition of cold in WI. Be prepared to get very warm clothes.

Look for home charging so you can keep your car warm overnight. ICE has the same problem or worse. Supercharging a cold-soaked Tesla when it is -10F ambient is a very slow process.
Good to know
I’m an NYr

Wisconsin has parts that are very Flat Earth and other parts totally the opposite but mixed together. Green Bay would be a good example. It's really the the Capitol of the U.P. (upper peninsula of Michigan). One would be surprised how many Tesla's and other EV brands you see there every day. Even though Tesla technically cannot sell in Wisconsin they do a great job of supporting us. With service centers in Milwaukee and Madison on the southern end and multiple service centers just across the border in Minnesota. I'm not afraid to say our mobile service team is top notch also.

Stop by the Wausau SuperCharger at the Hilton Garden Inn and you will see plenty of Tesla's on a weekend especially.

Wisconsin has parts that are very Flat Earth and other parts totally the opposite but mixed together. Green Bay would be a good example. It's really the the Capitol of the U.P. (upper peninsula of Michigan). One would be surprised how many Tesla's and other EV brands you see there every day. Even though Tesla technically cannot sell in Wisconsin they do a great job of supporting us. With service centers in Milwaukee and Madison on the southern end and multiple service centers just across the border in Minnesota. I'm not afraid to say our mobile service team is top notch also.

Stop by the Wausau SuperCharger at the Hilton Garden Inn and you will see plenty of Tesla's on a weekend especially.
good to hear, nice greetings
i might have to give up NY for WI ;)

Thanks
I’ll be local to Wausau, but will venture out so mostly 20 miles a day and then once in a while, the big drives of 250 miles. Got it for the apps and good answer on rhe expected range in cold at 60%.

What about my other Qs?
What is rhe EV sentiment in WI?
Why no state EV rebates?
How many Ts do you see on the road?

Wausau seems to be a Tesla desert. On Toro I see Teslas to rent in Green Bay and Madison.
We have a cabin in the Hayward area. Northern WI is a bit of an EV charging wasteland. If you’re charging at home that’s not an issue, though.

The few reactions I’ve gotten to my MY have been positive, and I haven’t gotten any negative feedback. Wausau may be different, though, and I see a fair number of Teslas on the road.

As far as the lack of a state rebate, that’s a question for your legislator.

I probably wouldn’t get a Tesla if I were you for the sole reason that you’re too far away from a service center. If you have to drive 1+ hour to get your vehicle serviced that could easily negate any advantages. This goes for any vehicle, not just Teslas

I've successfully charged at Shell Lake's NEMA 14-50 outlet for free, and there are other level 2 outlets at many campgrounds that might be great for overnight charging. Note that on Madeline Island, and perhaps some other areas, require 2+ nights for access to these 50 amp or similar level 2 service points, and you'll probably need all day or overnight to get a full charge. Adapters can be had on Amazon for reasonable prices. Something to consider which opens up the northwoods.

Probably of greater concern is access to service. I struggle to find non-Tesla service in the Madison area, and those I do find are even more expensive than the Tesla Service Center. If you're only here a year you might need zero service though. Getting a loaner with a decent amount of allowed miles and free supercharging is an option depending on availability.

Finally, coming from a lightweight front wheel drive car to a rear wheel drive '14 MS 85, I can say that winter traction is sketchy and so bad I can't back into my driveway, even when tread was new. Doable, but would not recommend anything but AWD and snow tires, if you can afford it.

I've successfully charged at Shell Lake's NEMA 14-50 outlet for free, and there are other level 2 outlets at many campgrounds that might be great for overnight charging. Note that on Madeline Island, and perhaps some other areas, require 2+ nights for access to these 50 amp or similar level 2 service points, and you'll probably need all day or overnight to get a full charge. Adapters can be had on Amazon for reasonable prices. Something to consider which opens up the northwoods.

Probably of greater concern is access to service. I struggle to find non-Tesla service in the Madison area, and those I do find are even more expensive than the Tesla Service Center. If you're only here a year you might need zero service though. Getting a loaner with a decent amount of allowed miles and free supercharging is an option depending on availability.

Finally, coming from a lightweight front wheel drive car to a rear wheel drive '14 MS 85, I can say that winter traction is sketchy and so bad I can't back into my driveway, even when tread was new. Doable, but would not recommend anything but AWD and snow tires, if you can afford it.
Good advice and appreciated