Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shows how long it's been since I've really looked at other brands, I got quite interested watching that video seeing what a £33K Volvo would be like. Then take a look at the configurator and you can' even get the spec that was reviewed. To get the Pano Roof you need to select the Ultra, then you get 20" wheels and bigger battery along with a price of £42K.

Typical, go for a shorter range and you get masses of feature differences.
It’s something that they need to learn from Tesla....even the basic spec is fully loaded

t’s something that they need to learn from Tesla....even the basic spec is fully loaded
That’s why one fifth of all Evs on our roads are Teslas. Tesla sells its 200,000th car in the UK.

Smart #3 brabus looks interesting to me. Nice looking car, fantastic interior, packed with features (that actually work) and blistering performance.
Range untested but I’m not fussed about that anyway as will likely charge from home for 99% of journeys. May be let down by a mediocre infotainment system though it does have apple car play and android auto.
Hoping the mainstream UK reviewers will review the car soon.

Last edited:
My experience with Volvo is that if the problem is electronic then they don’t have a clue...although the billing department doesn’t worry about that.....so I wouldn’t personally expect then to know what to do with a car that only consists of electronics....and get rid of the car before the warranty expires....because the day after so will the electronics

There seems to be quite a few problems with the Volvo EX30 from key fob often not opening the car (I believe the XC40 has similar issues) to charging issues where home charging keeps reverting to 6 amps and preheating for rapid charging not working where charge is below 20%. There’s also reports of radios randomly not working a steering wheel heating that won’t switch off. While all should be fixed by software updates, it does sound best avoided at the moment.

On the subject of the Smart Brabus, I test drove the #1 (terrible name) last year and really didn’t like it as the chassis couldn’t handle the power, probably as it’s the same as all the other #1’s. I believe they tweaked the springs and dampers on the #3 brabus compared to the normal #3, so maybe that will be better but might be at the expense of ride quality.

On a related point I popped into a local mini dealer while my car was having a flat tyre fixed (well fixed as in a new tyre as the nail that went through was too close to the sidewall) and had a look at the Countryman. Can’t say I was impressed and like a lot of BMW cars it is compromised by not being a dedicated EV platform. The circulation OLED infotainment screen is nice though.

My PCP agreement ends in 2 weeks. After exploring alternatives to replace my 3P, from being a Musk enthusiast years ago to disliking the guy now, from enjoying autopilot 4 years ago to lamenting its current state. The significant depreciation on my current car to the 9% APR on a new PCP. The absurdity of the current trade-in process. The dreadful wipers, the non existent UK FSD (paid for twice previously)… I ultimately made my decision today as my PCP term expired.

My Highland LR is expected to arrive in May. It may sound absurd, but after assessing the competition in the same price range, conversing with others, and poring over reviews, it seems I’ll just have to endure the frustration for another 3 years!

Last edited:
Some of us chose the white! Its my personal favourite of all the available shades!!
I like it in white, as does the wife but seeing every single Tesla on the road also bring white really does put me off it as well. They need to allow some other colours without having to pay extra. However you know they do this because it makes manufacturing easier to predict which colours to stock up on.

It may sound absurd, but after assessing the competition in the same price range, conversing with others, and poring over reviews, it seems I’ll just have to endure the frustration for another 3 years!

Not needing to change mine, but I am 100% in the same boat.

They need to allow some other colours without having to pay extra

For anyone that is bothered can't they just wrap the car? (I know, insurance will be "trouble")