Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla adds a trip planner to their website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've long wondered if Tesla had gone into enough depth to know that just making a stop takes time. When I planned a route from CA to NY, it had me make a 10 min SuperCharger stop as my first - then 30 minute stops. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that I'd actually be better off time-wise if I skipped the first charging stop just made a 40 minute SuperCharger stop at the second stop. The time lost to the slower charge after 30 minutes would be less than the time it takes to slow down, get off the freeway, find the supercharger and drive to it, find an empty stall, park and hook-up, then unhook, drive to the freeway entrance, get back on the freeway, then accelerate back to speed.
Yep, I just skip that crap. If I'm heading east it will have me stop in E. Houston for 10 minutes then drive to Lake Charles. Even in the 70D I can make the whole trip to Lake Charles without stopping. When the girl I was seeing worked at the E. Houston charge location it was no problem to stop and say hi.

Thanks!

I'll hopefully be taking my first Tesla road trip this summer for my nephew's graduation party (he ships off to the Army soon after). This isn't the route I was expecting, thought it'd be up through Oklahoma. The 27+ hours is more than I was expecting, hopefully the Forrest City or Blytheville supercharger will be open by then as not having to backtrack through Memphis should save a bit of time. That'll also decrease once I figure out Destination Charging as we usually make the trip to my brother's in 2 or 3 days - 2 if we leave in the morning(stopping for the night just past Joplin, Mo), 3 if we leave when I get off work (stopping just north of Dallas, then in Des Moines).

View attachment 271193
There are great online tools available that you can use. EV Trip Planner A Better Routeplanner There is also a good phone app that i used on our trip last week. EVTO Tesla. i delieted it one time and reinstalled once I knew more about how to use it. It offers at a glance a quick distance to the charger on the route. It will also show the temps and current conditions of the charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and SpiceWare
Yep, I just skip that crap. If I'm heading east it will have me stop in E. Houston for 10 minutes then drive to Lake Charles. Even in the 70D I can make the whole trip to Lake Charles without stopping.

Not only that, but from where I am (Woodlands, TX), my first leg heading east is always to Dayton, TX. I skip all the city driving, most of the speed limits are 70+ MPH, it takes the same amount of time (more driving balances out less charging), and consumes less energy. No problems at all in a 70 RWD.

So, I guess my point is to look at a map ahead of time.

Reactions: arcus
There are great online tools available that you can use.

Thanks!

ABR's most like the route we usually take, only difference is we'd take 75 out of Dallas, which becomes 69 in Oklahoma(passing through McAlester and Muskogee), to get to Joplin.
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 12.01.19 PM.png

EVTP's routing seems off, looks like it routes you to the next closest supercharger even if you could cut off a lot of corners by skipping some.
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 12.02.28 PM.png

I am not convinced it is plotting the route correctly.

How do you explain then from Plano to ABQ,

- For S100D and M3 it shows a longer route through Dentron-Ardmore-Childress
- For Performance S100D it shows the direct route from Dentron to Childress.

P100D has less range than S100D or M3 so if any it is P100D that should take the longer route with an extra SpC.

I am not convinced it is plotting the route correctly.

How do you explain then from Plano to ABQ,

- For S100D and M3 it shows a longer route through Dentron-Ardmore-Childress
- For Performance S100D it shows the direct route from Dentron to Childress.

P100D has less range than S100D or M3 so if any it is P100D that should take the longer route with an extra SpC.
Lets's see if this was just a quick "slap on" feature or they will actually out some effort to it.

A decent rout planner should give you alternative routes. It should be able to distinguish between normal and HOV lanes. It needs to take traffic into account! For an EV it should give you the option to calculate the fastest or most efficient route. Avoiding toll roads also needs to be an option.
Ideally for Tesla cars you should be able to have preferred Superchargers. For example some are at malls which are great during the day, but mostly have no bathroom available at night because everything is closed. Superchargers at hotels often have very little to offer in terms of restaurants but they are open 24/7 so at night these might be preferred. Just in general, some Superchargers are in very sad locations while others offer more.

It also needs to take temperatures into account. On my recent winter road trip my energy consumption was 30% higher due to cabin heating and cold weather factors.

A decent rout planner

A half decent route planner should not be making an elementary mistake of routing a longer range vehicle over a longer distance via more super chargers compared to a vehicle with lesser range.

If you not even tested your software even for such simple conditions, it doesn't speak much of the prowess of the team that built this.

A half decent route planner should not be making an elementary mistake of routing a longer range vehicle over a longer distance via more super chargers compared to a vehicle with lesser range.

If you not even tested your software even for such simple conditions, it doesn't speak much of the prowess of the team that built this.

I agree, and I certainly hope it's a different team working on the 'major update' of the navigation system (for the cars) Elon mention in a tweet recently.

Good to know I can save $142 in gasoline between Ozona, TX and Van Horn, TX by buying an MS75 and going through Amarillo and Albuquerque.
View attachment 271099

Hey now, that is a 226 mile trip (depending on center point) in a 238 mile rated range car. I think it's impressive that it found a route to recommend.

I will tuck this away for the next "should I get 75 or 100 kWh?" conversation.

I have covered it here.

Direct link can be found here.
I'd say that's flatlander stuff, but it's not even that: it doesn't take into account their wicked weather (wind and various diverse precipitation styles). 3rd party resources on this have been far superior and mostly sufficient for years, almost ever since Model S came out. I've bought and donated to many of those; I suggest others seek them out. The first and best one is still the best one (EVTripPlanner.Com). The current in car Model S and Model X nav is second best, plus it's in the car, so you can skip evtripplanner.com planning mostly.

Up until 7 months ago when I sold my Model S, I had attempted to use ABetterRoutePlanner and EVTO, and both seemed like they were a mixed bag on good days, but were both buggier than the stalwarts (evtripplanner and Tesla's own current in-car nav systems for S & X), but since I gave up on them fairly quickly, they could have debugged them fairly well by now (if they do work well now, just keep backup options for those remaining or future quirks (i.e., learn evtripplanner)). EVTO seemed to try to do the most, and a few times, it was actually really a treat to use, figuring out some things that none of the others could (unfortunately, it often was so buggy that I could reach the next SuperCharger before EVTO worked). ABetterRoutePlanner always crashed my browser and didn't work. EVTO would make a whole colony of spiders fat. I want to try them again and report back.

Abetterrouteplanner still has a very difficult to use web-based scripting user interface that I find quite awful: unobvious translucent windows with their controls default off of the page cover other windows. It's really beautiful and tries to do a lot of really neat UI things, but as is usual with beautiful neat web UI's, it just doesn't work (failure of the web browsers delivering an easy to make work correctly working scripting language, I suppose). The batch-form oriented evtripplanner, despite being very old IBM-mainframe style (form and batch), still seems to be superior than this. However, once I have fought the abetterrouteplanner web script style of windows (figuring out what is a window, finding its controls, etc.), it relents to sufficient options, and I can get it running. I am excited to put in one of my usual trips with all sorts of options, and hit the go button ("Plan route"), but then it just hangs, with a little bouncy indicator. I really wish it wouldn't hang. If it is an issue of processing power, I wouldn't mind paying through a Lightning Network Bitcoin channel or VISA card for my share of use of cloud GPU farms (such as AWS's NVIDIA GPU farms) to actually make it work. It looks promising as ever, but still never works. I'm sorry.

A quick search for EVTO on my iPhone found it with 3 out of 5 stars. I hit download, and tried it again. Because I was a development tester, I deleted it and reinstalled it, to try to get the latest release version. I have to say, it is more intuitive than before, a lot less buggy, and quite a bit faster. (The less buggy helps with all of that.) It still has some knowledge problems: users don't know how to "add segment" in the first window they see that they learn "segments" exist, and are left to wonder if "add waypoint" is related, until one realizes "add segment" is grayed out and requires $10/year. I almost gave up when it dumped me into Apple's store interface for that purchase, requiring me to use my laptop in conjunction with my iPhone to make the purchase and type a horrendously long password using Apple's awful security system. I was rewarded for my torture by an iTunes store error ("can't connect", an error that is literally impossible in this day of age, and yet, programmers seem to think it's not totally insane to spit it out at users), and had to use waypoints as a workaround. Its suggested addresses aren't ordered in most likely format, but pull in places from Texas before California (which is odd since I've never been to Texas and live in California). I got the waypoint in as the destination, hit refresh, and then it comes up with a reasonable route. Pressing the "Consumption" tab shows that it did pretty well at the calculation. Looking for options such as weather, traffic and speed aren't as easy and explicit as evtripplanner (which explicitly gives you options for which you have to guess and lacks traffic), but EVTO does attempt to take into consideration predicted weather along the route. I believe but forget whether or not it also takes into consideration elevation, which we know evtripplanner does. I recommend those who drive Teslas far to a new destination on at least a weekly basis check it out. It has a big learning curve.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Lets's see if this was just a quick "slap on" feature or they will actually out some effort to it.
The very busy student who slapped together evtripplanner did a far more actually accurate detailed useful and just as visually professional job as Tesla. The only thing superior about the Tesla one is its corporate shine and style being well done. I guess the best smart people (who are early adoption customers) working together (a lot of the best brilliant people helped contribute actual data and equations to evtriplanner, and helped tune it very well, and its programmer was both very good and understood all the things the brilliant people told him, meaning he himself was (and probably still is) very smart) can slap together a really good thing that lasts a long time better than a corporate team. Funny thing is, I don't think Tesla can afford their time, if they had billed for it.

There are some things only a corporation can do (huge projects), and there are some things only volunteers can do (high quality projects). Mixing the two is a truly exciting thing (Linux, Hyperloop, etc.), but rare. It is what it is.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
The very busy student who slapped together evtripplanner did a far more actually accurate detailed useful and just as visually professional job as Tesla. The only thing superior about the Tesla one is its corporate shine and style being well done. I guess the best smart people (who are early adoption customers) working together (a lot of the best brilliant people helped contribute actual data and equations to evtriplanner, and helped tune it very well, and its programmer was both very good and understood all the things the brilliant people told him, meaning he himself was (and probably still is) very smart) can slap together a really good thing that lasts a long time better than a corporate team. Funny thing is, I don't think Tesla can afford their time, if they had billed for it.

There are some things only a corporation can do (huge projects), and there are some things only volunteers can do (high quality projects). Mixing the two is a truly exciting thing (Linux, Hyperloop, etc.), but rare. It is what it is.
Agree. In corporate environment you always juggle between things that you had to finish yesterday and things that are "nice to have" or get an intern to do. This trip planner definitely looks like the latter.

When will we be able to make this coast-to-coast trip without stopping for a charge?
I’m guessing It’s possible now somewhere in the world, just not in the US until Washington, Oregon & California succeed from the union & the other states break off & sink into the abyss or when battery technology dramatically improves (flux capacitor...) Whichever comes first.

I’m guessing It’s possible now somewhere in the world, just not in the US until Washington, Oregon & California succeed from the union & the other states break off & sink into the abyss or when battery technology dramatically improves (flux capacitor...) Whichever comes first.
It's only 45 miles from Panama City to Colon, Panama...

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
Thanks!

ABR's most like the route we usually take, only difference is we'd take 75 out of Dallas, which becomes 69 in Oklahoma(passing through McAlester and Muskogee), to get to Joplin.
View attachment 271229

EVTP's routing seems off, looks like it routes you to the next closest supercharger even if you could cut off a lot of corners by skipping some.
View attachment 271231
According to Tesla's Supercharger map, US 69 is a SC-wasteland. You probably ought to consider using ABRP's route.

Reactions: SpiceWare