Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tein Flex Z with 1.8" lift on Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 MYP on Tein Flex Z with T Sportline 1.8" Overland Adventure lift
MaxSpeedingRod rear camber adjustment "Control Arm" (link)
Method Race Wheels 707 | Matte Black18x8.5 | 5x4.5 | offset 38mm / backspace 6.2"
235/65R18 Nitto Nomad Grappler

The install was pretty straight forward, at max height on the Tein's (approx stock height), plus the T Sportline spacers, I found it impossible to get the front strut assembly in place. So, I adjusted the Tein's height down before installing, then cranked it back up after installing the lower bolt and FUCA. The rear was a little tricky at full height, but doable.

First impressions: having everything approx 2" taller than before is a lot more dramatic than you might initially assume :D. I think I'm actually closer to 4" including the tires and the Tein's slight positive max height adjustment, and the unsettled springs initial height. See photos. The rear height (floor to fender) was just under 33" after install. Sorry No photos of that, yet..

RIDE: I have the dampers on max hard, minus 8 clicks. The ride is noticeably more compliant, which is a pleasant surprise. But I have to admit that I've only every had 19" or 18"s on my Model since new. I simply have not had the 21" Uberturbine on Summer tires "experience".

RANGE: TBD. I've been running the wheels/tire set-up (no lift) for a few weeks and the range loss is negligible. But We're getting into cooler months. I expect that the weather will have a greater impact, soon. Of note, while my overall diameter is taller, my head-on tire profile is more-narrow than stock. So the aerodynamics, may be improved, but the on-board efficiency math will be inaccurate, because I'm actually traveling the tiniest bit further which each rotation than what Elon thinks I am (at least not accounting for GPS). It's basically the same as when traveling near the speed of light, probably...

I have a spring "boing" noise to chase-down and fix when turning the wheel lock-to-lock :(.

I have very little patience for rubbing or noises. At stock height, these rubbed less than a mil of material from the driver side wheel well, but did it silently. And there is no bump rubbing when turning and braking, etc, even at stock height. See photos.
*Note: Despite what it looks like in the head-on image, the wheels/tires do not protrude out from the wheel arch, I'd judge that they result in about stock/oem net-offset with relation to the wheel arch.
*Note: If the tire shop places the wheel weights in just wrong spot, then they will lightly strike the caliper in the rear on each rotation.

IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg
IMG_1192.jpg
IMG_1194.jpg
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1273.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1753.jpg

Awesome! I had thought about lifting mine initially, but ended up lowering with TEINs. After playing with settings from full stiff to full soft, I ended up right where you are - 8 clicks from full stiff. Rides great. Post some pics of the side view when you get a chance, not on the curb. Would love to see what it looks like side profile in the daytime!

Reactions: Skavatar
Looks great! I've been waiting for some rims to come back into stock for the lift and have been curious about the Method 707s. Did you need to do anything with hubcentric rings or extended lugnuts like you do with the Method 502s?

I did plastic hubcentric rings from amazon. I think they were like $16 for the whole set of four. I think it’s worth it for the peace of mind, because the aftermarket lugs don’t really do a good job of centering the wheel on the hub. Although I did run it without the rings for a few hours, And there weren’t any perceivable vibrations. I don’t see any reason for lug extensions.
IMG_1809.jpeg

I know it’s not the answer, then anybody wants, but it’s really going to depend. I have a little over 3600 miles on the new set up. It looks like I could possibly be experiencing up to 7% loss of efficiency, compared to my first 45k miles on the car with light weight aftermarket 19” wheels. But, these most recent 3600 miles have been more highway and higher average speeds. And I’ve had cooler days which suffered from poor battery performance since installation. And the overall diameter of my tires is greater, I actually travel farther than what my car thinks I’m traveling with each rotation, which results in a lower efficiency reading. …

Reactions: Skavatar