Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tein Flex Z Coilovers – Model Y Install and Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to write this review, since I couldn’t really find too much feedback on this forum for these coilovers. Saw this thread HERE about the coilovers with different sized tires, but decided to start a new thread about just the coilovers.

When the box first arrived, I was upset to find the label showing a part number and description for a model 3 AWD (p/n VSGP4-C1AA3). Turns out after searching on TEIN’s website, the model 3 AWD and the model Y share the same part number.

tein (1).jpg

The bad part is the instruction manual that’s in the box is only for the model 3 AWD, and not for the Model Y. So before installing, make sure to set the A/B/C/D dimensions to the model Y, as they don’t come to these settings out of the box!

Model Y dimensions from TEIN’s website for my model is listed as: “FRONT:A/B/C/D=134/42/457/365, REAR:A/B/C/D=213/-/366/HAS 34. If these dimensions are confusing, the manual shows pictures as to what each of these settings refers to for the adjustments.

Once settings are set, install is relatively straight forward. Because these coilovers come with their own top hats, the install is super easy – and you don’t have to mess around with coil spring compressors. I won’t detail the steps of install, but there are a couple of videos online on how to install with torque values.

Onto the install….
tein (2).jpg

Front stock suspension pops right out. I didn’t bother with removing the front control arm carrier as shown in the video link I provided. You can just remove the stock shock top hat 13mm bolts then muscle the stock control arm up and out of the way to drop the OEM suspension out.

Front installed:
tein (3).jpg

I played around with height adjustment, but I ended up with a “B” value of 47mm. The default TEIN starting point is 42mm, but it was too low for my taste. The full dimensions I ended at are FRONT: A/B/C/D = 139/47/462/370 (or basically 5mm taller than default).

tein (7).jpg

And onto the rear install…
tein (5).jpg

Rear install went in quicker and easier than front. Completed rear with whiteline rear upper control arm added while I was at it.
tein (6).jpg

The "Height Adjustment System" setting I ended up for the rear was HAS=37mm (the default TEIN starting point is HAS=34mm). The full dimensions I settled on for the were REAR: A/B/C/D = 216/-/369/HAS 37 (or basically 3mm taller than default). I chose to change A (and thus C), to extend the shock length by the same amount of was setting the ride height over TEIN default. Again, if these numbers are confusing, just look at the pics in the install manual and it’ll all make sense.

tein (4).jpg

After I completed the install, I set her back down on the ground, camber was out of OE spec - rear more than the front. I adjusted the whiteline RUCA to get back to where I wanted it at. Front was a different story, one side was within OE spec, while the other side was double OE spec at -0.6 deg. I was able to loosen the control arm carrier and shift it a bit to get me -0.5deg. Not much adjustment, but slightly better, and I’m ok with where it’s at. For me, front toe didnt really change, but rear was a tad more toe-in than before the install. The OE adjustments are super sensitive, so just a minor loosen of the toe arm cam bolt, and barely turning it brought it back into spec.

Final pose....
tein (9).jpg

tein (10).jpg

She sits at 29” ground-to-fender arch, both front and back. The rear started off at about 29.2”, but I’ve been on the setup for about 2 months, and it’s settled to 29” even – F&R. This is a 2023 MYP with MYLR gemini’s and tires. With stock uberturbines, rear would be about 0.3” taller. Overall, I’m very happy.

I went with the TEIN flex Z’s was because I wanted to drop the car just a little more from MYP stock height, and they didn't break the bank. While I had no complaints about the OE ride, the TEIN’s do ride MUCH better. This was immediately noticeable when I went from the first test ride. I started off with a middle setting at 8 clicks (counter-clockwise from full stiff). The best description I can give is that these coilovers takes the impulse from the hard hits on a larger bump, and spreads the impulse out over a longer time, so it feels like it’s not “bucking” you. Small bump compliance on 8-clicks is also more muted out.

tein (8).jpg

I decided to bracket the settings, and test the limits of full soft vs full hard. So, I set the coilovers to full stiff for a week. The “buck” control was about same. However, all the little defects and undulations in the road definitely transmitted to the cabin. I expected to have my teeth rattled out, but was pleasantly surprised that it was completely drivable.

Next, I well full soft. Immediately I could feel more of the side-to-side movement. Big undulations definitively had more body movement, and all the little road imperfections disappeared compared to the OE suspension. I expected a mini-van “boat” like feel, but it was nothing of the kind. Again, very drivable. It seems that extreme ends (full soft to full hard) doesn't have as wide of a range as I would have thought, which makes small adjustments (only a few clicks) less noticeable. In the end I ended up back at setting 8, which suits my taste - still sporty with the great ride quality.

Hope my writeup helps a few on the fence out there!

Excellent write-up/review Cosmo! 👏
That's the "perfect" drop on your Model Y, in my opinion.

Danny
^^ Thanks for the parts hookup, Danny! And agreed, I'm super happy with the way she sits now.

Some pics of the instruction manual, for others who might be interested in what the manual shows with regards to adjustment dimensions referenced in my first post:
tein (12).jpg

And the recommended starting point settings for adjusting the coilovers for the model Y (circled in yellow):
tein (11).jpg

Also, shout out the guys over at zevcentric for a great video tutorial on their youtube site:

• Love
Reactions: fredzos and MODEL+
great write up.

i have this already but been waiting to get some wheels first and just do it all at once cause i thought it might look weird lowered with the stock wheels.

it actually looks good. thanks for providing the picture

Small update...

Threw a spare tire into the trunk over the weekend, which dropped the back about 1/8". Since I plan to leave it in there, I wanted to even the rear heigh out, so I increased the rear HAS to 39mm, from my previous 37mm setting.

For anyone that's wondering, the fronts are easy to adjust by loosening the locking collar and turning the shock body, but the rear is more of a chore. I couldn't really turn the spring collars without taking the spring out, which basically makes adjustments take almost the same time as the rear install process. While I was at it, I changed the other shock length adjustments to match. Final rear settings for my setup are REAR: A/B/C/D = 218/-/371/HAS 39.

tein-13.jpg

Anyone considering these coilovers, I'd recommend setting the rear about 1/4" taller than you want, due to the settling. The front has held great, with little to no settling.

Lastly, I swapped out the Basenor mud flaps from my original post, with some lower profile ones from A-Premium. Basenor flaps would scrape on some steep driveways, while the new ones give me 1" clearance. Actually like the shorter flaps better, since they look blend in better, and almost look like a body kit, espeically with the lip spoiler I added.

Some pics...

tein-14.jpg

tein-15.jpg

Side note, what kind front lip is that? Looks great without being too aggressive/low.

I think it's being rebranded under a few different names. Seen a few variants online HERE on this forum as well, but mostly in carbon or painted black.

The only place I found it unpainted and matte black was on Amazon Link here. If you go with it, I recommend using 6mm auto plastic push rivets to install. Holds much better and looks completely OEM.

Does anyone know if these are compatible with the TEIN front coilovers?

Should be fine, as long as the ID is 60 or 65mm. Most are able to get away with thrust sheets:

Decided to write this review, since I couldn’t really find too much feedback on this forum for these coilovers. Saw this thread HERE about the coilovers with different sized tires, but decided to start a new thread about just the coilovers.

When the box first arrived, I was upset to find the label showing a part number and description for a model 3 AWD (p/n VSGP4-C1AA3). Turns out after searching on TEIN’s website, the model 3 AWD and the model Y share the same part number.

View attachment 973164

The bad part is the instruction manual that’s in the box is only for the model 3 AWD, and not for the Model Y. So before installing, make sure to set the A/B/C/D dimensions to the model Y, as they don’t come to these settings out of the box!

Model Y dimensions from TEIN’s website for my model is listed as: “FRONT:A/B/C/D=134/42/457/365, REAR:A/B/C/D=213/-/366/HAS 34. If these dimensions are confusing, the manual shows pictures as to what each of these settings refers to for the adjustments.

Once settings are set, install is relatively straight forward. Because these coilovers come with their own top hats, the install is super easy – and you don’t have to mess around with coil spring compressors. I won’t detail the steps of install, but there are a couple of videos online on how to install with torque values.

Onto the install….
View attachment 973165

Front stock suspension pops right out. I didn’t bother with removing the front control arm carrier as shown in the video link I provided. You can just remove the stock shock top hat 13mm bolts then muscle the stock control arm up and out of the way to drop the OEM suspension out.

Front installed:
View attachment 973166

I played around with height adjustment, but I ended up with a “B” value of 47mm. The default TEIN starting point is 42mm, but it was too low for my taste. The full dimensions I ended at are FRONT: A/B/C/D = 139/47/462/370 (or basically 5mm taller than default).

View attachment 973167

And onto the rear install…
View attachment 973168

Rear install went in quicker and easier than front. Completed rear with whiteline rear upper control arm added while I was at it.View attachment 973169

The "Height Adjustment System" setting I ended up for the rear was HAS=37mm (the default TEIN starting point is HAS=34mm). The full dimensions I settled on for the were REAR: A/B/C/D = 216/-/369/HAS 37 (or basically 3mm taller than default). I chose to change A (and thus C), to extend the shock length by the same amount of was setting the ride height over TEIN default. Again, if these numbers are confusing, just look at the pics in the install manual and it’ll all make sense.

View attachment 973170

After I completed the install, I set her back down on the ground, camber was out of OE spec - rear more than the front. I adjusted the whiteline RUCA to get back to where I wanted it at. Front was a different story, one side was within OE spec, while the other side was double OE spec at -0.6 deg. I was able to loosen the control arm carrier and shift it a bit to get me -0.5deg. Not much adjustment, but slightly better, and I’m ok with where it’s at. For me, front toe didnt really change, but rear was a tad more toe-in than before the install. The OE adjustments are super sensitive, so just a minor loosen of the toe arm cam bolt, and barely turning it brought it back into spec.

Final pose....
View attachment 973171

View attachment 973172

She sits at 29” ground-to-fender arch, both front and back. The rear started off at about 29.2”, but I’ve been on the setup for about 2 months, and it’s settled to 29” even – F&R. This is a 2023 MYP with MYLR gemini’s and tires. With stock uberturbines, rear would be about 0.3” taller. Overall, I’m very happy.

I went with the TEIN flex Z’s was because I wanted to drop the car just a little more from MYP stock height, and they didn't break the bank. While I had no complaints about the OE ride, the TEIN’s do ride MUCH better. This was immediately noticeable when I went from the first test ride. I started off with a middle setting at 8 clicks (counter-clockwise from full stiff). The best description I can give is that these coilovers takes the impulse from the hard hits on a larger bump, and spreads the impulse out over a longer time, so it feels like it’s not “bucking” you. Small bump compliance on 8-clicks is also more muted out.

View attachment 973173

I decided to bracket the settings, and test the limits of full soft vs full hard. So, I set the coilovers to full stiff for a week. The “buck” control was about same. However, all the little defects and undulations in the road definitely transmitted to the cabin. I expected to have my teeth rattled out, but was pleasantly surprised that it was completely drivable.

Next, I well full soft. Immediately I could feel more of the side-to-side movement. Big undulations definitively had more body movement, and all the little road imperfections disappeared compared to the OE suspension. I expected a mini-van “boat” like feel, but it was nothing of the kind. Again, very drivable. It seems that extreme ends (full soft to full hard) doesn't have as wide of a range as I would have thought, which makes small adjustments (only a few clicks) less noticeable. In the end I ended up back at setting 8, which suits my taste - still sporty with the great ride quality.

Hope my writeup helps a few on the fence out there!
Great write up
Where did u end up ordering them from
Any deals?

Reactions: cosmoworks
TM6969 - I have a buddy I'm going to help install a set on in a few weeks. I'll take some spring perch measurements for you.

Great write up
Where did u end up ordering them from
Any deals?
TypeX - Got mine from Danny at Model+. He's the 2nd post in this thread, gave me a good deal, and super helpful.

Had 5+ Teins never had issues - how's it vs MPP? Nice price.
rev9k - I haven't ridden in a MY with MPP yet. Only 2022, 2023 (aka comfort suspension), and these. TEINs ride the best of the three, IMO.

• Love
Reactions: rev9k and MODEL+
TM6969 - I have a buddy I'm going to help install a set on in a few weeks. I'll take some spring perch measurements for you.

TypeX - Got mine from Danny at Model+. He's the 2nd post in this thread, gave me a good deal, and super helpful.

rev9k - I haven't ridden in a MY with MPP yet. Only 2022, 2023 (aka comfort suspension), and these. TEINs ride the best of the three, IMO.
Thank you!

We're got them in-stock and ready to ship! Offering TMC member specials as we approach the holiday season.

IMG_5488.jpeg

Contact / [email protected]
-Danny