Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tech Package: Not so tech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would Definitly call these tech and convinience features worth getting and very well priced. BMW or Porsche would easily charge 5k for them.

Also, I've had keyless entry and in my infiniti key fob since 2003. I thought all S has this, but automatic just means the door handles pop open as you walk up and the car locks itself as you walk away. This seems to be more advanced than the standard press the handle to open I have now. I don't think any s requires you to stick a key in.

Which does put the onus back on Tesla, and unfortunately I went multiple rounds with a rep (with several requests to just pass the question on to the engineer(s) working on navigation integration), so I have to go with the belief that a POI database is just not going to be loaded in my Model S on delivery. :mad:

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here. If the Tesla rep stated that the poi database is loaded over wireless might that simply imply that it loads all POIs when it can, and keeps them up to date when needed? You seem to be assuming that they flush the database so that POIs are not available when you are off-line.

My thought on the nav is this. If I am out in BFE where there is no cell coverage and I have the tech package I will have the local copy of the maps. With this copy I will be able to look at the map for a close town or city and set the navigation to this location take my turn by turn to a point where I have cell coverage. If then I choose I can search for POI otherwise I can look around as I am driving. This may not be the case for everyone but I generally have some direction I am looking to go even if I do not have a destination in mind.

On the keyless entry I believe contaygious is correct without the tech package you will have to push a button on the fob to unlock the doors but there still will be no key to start the car. With the tech package the car will unlock when you get close and present the handles, when the software is complete, after this point I believe there is no difference in the function between the two.

I would say the tech package is total fluff. I want everything in it, but it is fluff. I will enjoy each feature but had none until my 2004 Prius. Yes I am willing to pay for leaving my key in my pocket!!!! I miss that on the 2010 Malibu I bought as a placeholder for the Tesla nearly three years ago.

One can drive successful without all those gizmos. A map and serendipity will lead you to POIs that are not yet in Google, especially if you are in an area without cell coverage.

I expect that Tesla will work to find a solution for Europe that is not too expensive. It may help to have this issue brought up with George who is in Europe right now. It helps to be ahead of the curve so that Tesla can find solutions.
Ok, I won't argue that it's fluff--depending upon how you define it. But so what? The Performance version is fluff too, so is the leather and the 17" touch screen and almost everything else besides the basic drive train and chassis.

But, as opposed to the performance feature, it is fluff that makes a comfort and convenience difference every single time you ride in the car. As pointed out above, with perhaps a bit of hyperbole, the smart key system like on the prius is an every day convenience that is difficult to appreciate until you've gotten used to it. No digging in purses or pockets in the dark trying to find the right button, you just walk up and get in. That sort of convenience carries a high value to me, higher than a faster 0-60 time that is likely to result in either more tickets or more accidents for me!!

But, as opposed to the performance feature, it is fluff that makes a comfort and convenience difference every single time you ride in the car. As pointed out above, with perhaps a bit of hyperbole, the smart key system like on the prius is an every day convenience that is difficult to appreciate until you've gotten used to it. No digging in purses or pockets in the dark trying to find the right button, you just walk up and get in. That sort of convenience carries a high value to me, higher than a faster 0-60 time that is likely to result in either more tickets or more accidents for me!!

+1 Agree 100%

I don't think they've even built a car without the tech package, and I'm surprised we don't see something like air suspension: "All cars built in 2012 must have the tech package". The car was designed with all that stuff in mind, and it may take time to deactivate/remove it.

Has anyone configured a car without the tech package yet?

Having a stereo is fluff too. It's not required to drive. For that matter, having air conditioning in many climates is fluff. So let's just remove all that...

Or let's get real about what optional packages means, and that Tech usually means "something relatively new/interesting considered 'fluff' by people that don't want it".

Having a stereo is fluff too. It's not required to drive. For that matter, having air conditioning in many climates is fluff. So let's just remove all that...

Or let's get real about what optional packages means, and that Tech usually means "something relatively new/interesting considered 'fluff' by people that don't want it".

Sanity.

I think the most important question is how many jars of Fluff we can buy with $3,750 :biggrin:

Marshmallow-Fluff-Creme-Spread-Flavors.jpg

I would say the tech package is total fluff. I want everything in it, but it is fluff.

I consider most of it "fluff" too, but no the xenon headlights. Being able to see as well as possible in low light surroundings are a basic safety feature in my book.

In Europe more or less all "premium" cars come with xenons as standard, while we often get cloth interior. In the US most "premium" cars have leather while xenons are optional it seems ?

I'm not going to be surprised if xenons will be standard equipment on the S in Europe.

Hmmm, what I'd really like is a Yelp! app that integrates with the Nav system. I know that still needs data service, but I'm very rarely without it and, when I am, I'm in an area with no POIs anyway! Still, it would be great to have a built-in database of charging points and convenience stores and the like.

Hmmm, what I'd really like is a Yelp! app that integrates with the Nav system. I know that still needs data service, but I'm very rarely without it and, when I am, I'm in an area with no POIs anyway! Still, it would be great to have a built-in database of charging points and convenience stores and the like.

Yelp is in the browser so it shouldn't be a problem even if there is no direct connection. I never use the POI in the nav system anymore because Yelp is way better (due to the reviews).

Yelp is in the browser so it shouldn't be a problem even if there is no direct connection. I never use the POI in the nav system anymore because Yelp is way better (due to the reviews).

I just don't want to have to write down the address from the Yelp! internet page on a piece of paper so that I can later enter into the nav system.

Oh, and that's exactly why I prefer yelp to simply finding a restaurant... reviews!

Yeah, I'd love a yelp app like the ipad one because then you could simple click a place and it would navigate to it. That's why I usually use my phone nav in the car even though I have a good nav system.

Tesla just told me this about the nav and tech package:

"If you were to opt for the technology package, turn by turn navigation with 7 years of free updates would be included as part of the functions on the touchscreen. The alternative would be to select the connectivity package, which would allow you 3G connectivity to access Google maps via the internet. The downside would be another data plan, and also no turn by turn voice prompts. I do believe that all Model S will have Wi-Fi connectivity, so you could tether the car anywhere a Wi-Fi signal is available to access the internet."

Last edited:
I consider most of it "fluff" too, but no the xenon headlights. Being able to see as well as possible in low light surroundings are a basic safety feature in my book.

In Europe more or less all "premium" cars come with xenons as standard, while we often get cloth interior. In the US most "premium" cars have leather while xenons are optional it seems ?

I'm not going to be surprised if xenons will be standard equipment on the S in Europe.

I would guess so too.

As we can clearly see from several discussions here, Americans seem to have very different priorities when it comes to features deemed necessary in a car.
Leather for example seems to be regarded as a necessity in the US whereas here it is not standard even in high-end models as most people here don't see it as necessary or desirable (myself included).
Here in Europe, Xenon lights like you said are seen as necessary because they are
a) a significant safety feature as they light the roads far better then halogen lights and
b) require far less maintenance (I have had my current car for almost nine years now and not once up to now have my Xenon lights failed me. In the eight years I had my previous car, I had to replace the halogen lights several times - on both sides.)

Then again, LED lights would be even better for lighting quality, efficiency and durability (again, the full LED rear lights in my current car have never needed a replacement in almost nine years now whereas the standard rear light bulbs in my former car had to be exchanged almost once every one or two years - which apart from the extra cost was fine in those days as you could exchange the bulbs by yourself. In current cars you can't do that anymore without taking the car to a service center - even if you still have standard lighting. Automakers nowadays love to build cars so that you can't repair them yourself anymore).

And I haven't even started about the satnav/poi whining going on. I must be getting old but when I plan a trip to a location I haven't been to before, I read the maps (paper mind you, some of the older folk might remember there used to be such a thing) beforehand, look up where I want to go and then get in my car and drive there, no fuss whatsoever. POI's? My POI is my destination. The nearest gas stations, restaurants etc. are signposted on any motorway, and I don't have time to visit a museum or other supposed POI en-route either (and those are usually signposted as well anyway). And fortunately I am still able to read road-signs, listen to the traffic-jam warnings on the radio and still manage to drive (and entertain a family of four) at the same time. Incredible it seems. Then again as I said I am also able to press a button (or in an emergency - like an empty fob battery, yikes! - even manage the excrutiating task of inserting the key in the door lock and open it!) to unlock my car! Crazy, I know... ;-)

Last edited:
I would guess so too.

As we can clearly see from several discussions here, Americans seem to have very different priorities when it comes to features deemed necessary in a car.
Leather for example seems to be regarded as a necessity in the US whereas here it is not standard even in high-end models as most people here don't see it as necessary or desirable (myself included).
Here in Europe, Xenon lights like you said are seen as necessary because they are
a) a significant safety feature as they light the roads far better then halogen lights and
b) require far less maintenance (I have had my current car for almost nine years now and not once up to now have my Xenon lights failed me. In the eight years I had my previous car, I had to replace the halogen lights several times - on both sides.)

Then again, LED lights would be even better for lighting quality, efficiency and durability (again, the full LED rear lights in my current car have never needed a replacement in almost nine years now whereas the standard rear light bulbs in my former car had to be exchanged almost once every one or two years - which apart from the extra cost was fine in those days as you could exchange the bulbs by yourself. In current cars you can't do that anymore without taking the car to a service center - even if you still have standard lighting. Automakers nowadays love to build cars so that you can't repair them yourself anymore).

And I haven't even started about the satnav/poi whining going on. I must be getting old but when I plan a trip to a location I haven't been to before, I read the maps (paper mind you, some of the older folk might remember there used to be such a thing) beforehand, look up where I want to go and then get in my car and drive there, no fuss whatsoever. POI's? My POI is my destination. The nearest gas stations, restaurants etc. are signposted on any motorway, and I don't have time to visit a museum or other supposed POI en-route either (and those are usually signposted as well anyway). And fortunately I am still able to read road-signs, listen to the traffic-jam warnings on the radio and still manage to drive (and entertain a family of four) at the same time. Incredible it seems. Then again as I said I am also able to press a button (or in an emergency - like an empty fob battery, yikes! - even manage the excrutiating task of inserting the key in the door lock and open it!) to unlock my car! Crazy, I know... ;-)

Reminds me of a funny joke:

Subject: 21st Century

I was visiting my son and daughter-in-law last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper.

'This is the 21st century, old man,' my son said. 'We don't waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad.'

I can tell you, that f*$&n fly never knew what hit it...