Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax man got his share

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to the BC 15% tax just so I can complain :), I still remember the fanfare when the government added it to luxury vehicles -- it was all about taxing carbon and "big SUVs". Oh the irony. :-(
That irony is not lost on me either! :eek:

The part that really gets me cranked is the way that tax rate climbs from 12% to 15% over a couple thousand dollars of purchase price.

$54,999 = 12%
$55,000 -> $55,999 = 13%
$56,000 -> $56,999 = 14%
$57,000 -> Veyron and above = 15%

How does it possibly make sense to step it up so quickly??? Some highly intelligent cabinet minister (an oxyMORON if I ever heard one) decided it wouldn't look good to jump from 12% to 15%, so stepped it up instead. Dumb, dumb, dumb... the additional $2,000 of sticker price equates to another $2,000 of tax... just like that.

Being that I live in Utah where selling Teslas is currently against the law I had to pay Tesla for the car and then go pay the Utah DMV for taxes and registration.

So after taking delivery of the car last week I trooped to DMV and paid for taxes and registration. Not a small amount.

But a funny thing happened when I got home.

I'm retired Air Force (my license plate reads "MSGT AF") and while stationed in Germany in the early 70s I purchased a brand new Mercedes 220D (still have it). Got to pick it up at the factory. Fun story there, especially the near crash pulling out of the factory but I digress.

So when I got home after paying the Tesla's taxes I pulled out my paperwork file on the Mercedes and discovered I had paid more for the Tesla's taxes than I paid for the Mercedes. A lot more.

I thought a picture of the two peacefully coexisting side-by-side would be appropriate. On the far left, BTW, is my one owner 1972 Honda CB750. Vroom! :)

cars.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. And my Mercedes 240D was Forest Green and my Model S is metallic "sequoia" green. I guess color preference is one of those things that never changes.

I also have a 1981 Kawasaki K1000J, although I am the 3rd (or maybe 4th or more) owner of that.