Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surfer Asking: Driving Without A Passenger Seat? Will the TM3 Throw a Fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Deaf Paul

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2023
Oahu, Hawaii
Aloha from Oahu. First post, and signed up as a year-long supporter.

My wife and I both are coming from “his and hers” BMW i3 as our EV commuters. We bought my wife a new base 2023 M3 last week. I am about to make an offer on a 2020 LR M3D with FSD and Accel Boost that I test drove yesterday.

Because the front passenger seat will not recline flat enough, nor does the headrest come off, the car will not fit my surfboards unless I remove the passenger seat It looks like. I had the exact same issue with my BMW i3 which I resolved by removing the passenger seat.

However I learned the hard way that the car complains every time I start it, and requires that I clear a warning message every time before I can access anything with the car’s system, including the back up camera/radar. I find it extremely annoying and this is giving me a pause thinking about living with a Model 3 as my next daily.

Before the i3, I had a Honda Fit that I did the same to (it reclined flat, and the headrest came off but I wanted the extra space and weight savings anyways) and it did not complain or throw any codes at all which was great.

Has anybody here ever driven the TM3 (or Model S which I would consider if it handles this concern better) with the passenger seat removed? Or know what might happen upon start up and driving with the passenger seat removed?

-Paul

Headrest comes off. I've seen it on YouTube! There are tabs you need to pull open with a tool/screw driver.

I have an ipad mount I wanted to install on the headrest rods, watched the video, but still haven't attempted.
Wow - The tesla rep that helped us purchase my wife’s M3 said it did NOT come off. :rolleyes:

Heading to the garage to see if it looks like if a board will slide right in with the backrest as far down as it will go and the headrest removed.

-Paul

Looks like removing the headrest still will not allow for sufficient clearance of surfboards being slid in there after all.

98813459-0169-4DAA-AA3F-74CB30E1F76F.jpeg

4FD1B58C-CE2F-4318-84FD-A0ABAA20F99E.jpeg

Seat still would need to come out unless I removed the back seat backrest and the passenger seat will slide down further which would be ideal but it’s unlikely the passenger seat reclining mechanism will go that far back. Anyone know?

-Paul

Why does the surfboard have to go inside the car? Is there a different EV that would better meet your requirements?
I leave my board(s) in my daily almost 24/7 when not riding it. Adding racks and leaving it on the racks would result in sun/heat damage within hours here in the tropics, or result in theft. No, I don’t want to move it off and back onto the car multiple times a day If that was going to be your next question.

AD96EC91-AB70-42E5-B15F-DB33C9AC74F3.jpeg

Better EV? Not that I’m aware of. I’m waiting for somebody to actually produce and sell a performance EV van. I do wonder if a Model S would work better (Less likely to complain, and possibly recline flatter)?

-Paul

Reactions: Lindenwood
I leave my board(s) in my daily almost 24/7 when not riding it. Adding racks and leaving it on the racks would result in sun/heat damage within hours here in the tropics, or result in theft. No, I don’t want to move it off and back onto the car multiple times a day If that was going to be your next question.

View attachment 926618

Better EV? Not that I’m aware of. I’m waiting for somebody to actually produce and sell a performance EV van. I do wonder if a Model S would work better (Less likely to complain, and possibly recline flatter)?

-Paul
Why not take the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado?

• Funny
Reactions: Konicom04
Why not take the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado?

Because it does 0-60 in 100 seconds, gets 8 MPG, and my board gets semi-stuck when I shove it inside, and I can barely see out the right side when the board is in there. :p Good eye, it is a ‘59 Caddy 62 Series that a Plaid owner on here helped me buy/transport last summer on the mainland. Riding in his Tesla after flying over to pick up the Caddy made me give Teslas another look…

-Paul

A Model S would certainly have more room, but you won't know whether it's enough until you try it. I don't think the front seat will recline as much as you want, but with the back seats folded flat, it might work. The S has a hatchback trunk, so it might be easier to get the board in and out.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
If you remove the rear seat (bottom), it will allow the passenger seat back to recline further. That along with removing the head rest and loading from rear driver's side to front passenger side might give you enough room.

You're going to hear some cool motor sounds too!

I felt the reclining motor shut down shortly after the front seat backrest hit the folded forward rear backrest. What I need to know is whether it’s because it sensed pressure and stopped which would mean it can keep reclining further if that rear backrest is removed like you suggested. If so that’s promising. I’m worried that it’s an engineered limitation though. Is there a way to confirm without dismantling my wife’s new car?

P.S. What cool sounds? Did you notice my user name? 😅

Yup I read through that thread yesterday but these boards that they’re using are short boards. They are shorter than my downwind foil board which is actually a SUP.

-Paul

Aloha from Oahu. First post, and signed up as a year-long supporter.

My wife and I both are coming from “his and hers” BMW i3 as our EV commuters. We bought my wife a new base 2023 M3 last week. I am about to make an offer on a 2020 LR M3D with FSD and Accel Boost that I test drove yesterday.

Because the front passenger seat will not recline flat enough, nor does the headrest come off, the car will not fit my surfboards unless I remove the passenger seat It looks like. I had the exact same issue with my BMW i3 which I resolved by removing the passenger seat.

However I learned the hard way that the car complains every time I start it, and requires that I clear a warning message every time before I can access anything with the car’s system, including the back up camera/radar. I find it extremely annoying and this is giving me a pause thinking about living with a Model 3 as my next daily.

Before the i3, I had a Honda Fit that I did the same to (it reclined flat, and the headrest came off but I wanted the extra space and weight savings anyways) and it did not complain or throw any codes at all which was great.

Has anybody here ever driven the TM3 (or Model S which I would consider if it handles this concern better) with the passenger seat removed? Or know what might happen upon start up and driving with the passenger seat removed?

-Paul

why not just get a good roof rack?

i9iip60mjmb31.jpg

Reactions: DuncanM

why not just get a good roof rack?
Already explained why. Nice pic tho! 🤙

-Paul

I know it won't complain if you just unplug the seat controls, but I don't know about the seat pressure sensor. That might throw a warning.

You could unplug the connectors under the seat on your wife's car to see what it does. Should be easy enough to do...

If it does complain, you could buy the missing sensor used somewhere and just plug it in. That might be enough to silence the warnings.

Good luck!

Reactions: android04