Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sure why not, here's my "My Life With A Tesla" thread. We all need one, right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
I bought the car in August 2020 for a little road tripping and errand running while we moved off our boat for a few months to explore the country, fully expecting to sell it less than a year later.

Well we sold the boat instead and I've now owned the car nearly 28 months and put over 60,000 miles on it.

We've been to over 100 Supercharger sites (not much in the grand scheme but a lot more than most people).

I charge it regularly on NEMA 14-50 with a mobile connector, but it's also been charged at a variety of hotel Tesla and J1772 EVSEs, as well as months at marinas on NEMA L5-30, and months at AirBnBs on NEMA 5-15.

It's been driven through 25 States, and DC.

The lowest charge I've had it to was 4% I believe?

I've driven over 130 mph.

I've driven an entire day in -4f and in highs over 100f.

No real range anxiety but definitely examples of needing to slow down (actually drive the speed limit) to reach chargers / destinations.

Estimated range has dropped 9.8%.

One new set of tires. One new windshield. A couple gallons of wiper fluid.

One recall for a sensor that I don't even know what it was.

Long distance road tripping definitely takes longer. There's no denying that. We may not see in our lifetime an EV road trip that is as time efficient as a comparable ICE vehicle would be. But even my trips that were two full days of driving were a non-issue for me. I've quickly discovered this is the way I prefer to long distance travel. Even when I'm stuck sitting at a Supercharger for 45 minutes in order to make the big trip leg to the next charger.

But I just hit my six-month-iversary at my new job which means I've been using the car for commuting for six months now. Something I hadn't been using the car for, nor intended to, when I bought it.

If you are commuting in a petrol or diesel vehicle you are living life wrong. This Is Amazing. When I think back to my years of commuting in a Honda Accord and having to stop for gas when I was late to work or on my way home and just wanted to be done with the day ... I NEVER have to worry about that with an EV. I drive 60 miles round trip and plug in when I get home. The next day I have 200+ miles of range. I save approximately $6 in fuel every day. That's roughly $1500 / year. And I don't have to make special trips anywhere wasting my time to put range back in the car. I'd much rather not be commuting, but if I have to, this is the vehicle to do it in.

The Model Y is pretty far from perfect. It's actually noisier than I expected, it's not particularly a smooth ride, and yes those damn panel gaps. But there is not another car I'd rather be daily driving right now.

"When I think back to my years of commuting in a Honda Accord and having to stop for gas when I was late to work or on my way home and just wanted to be done with the day ... I NEVER have to worry about that with an EV"

For me, the biggest pleasure of driving an EV was exactly this. Gas stations suck on many levels. Having to stop at one when you're running late, or tired, sucks even more.

There isn't too much I don't like about the car. I feel lucky that I bought it when I did ($53k out the door) as a lot of the complaints from new owners seem to revolve around 'a $65k car shouldn't be doing/have/not have this'. While this was certainly the most expensive car I've ever purchased, it was an upgrade for me in every aspect in terms of features, and then there's the whole EV suite of benefits. It also helped that my car was well built, in terms of gaps etc. The only recurring issue I've had will be fixed when I get a SW update that removes the USS (water running down the hood triggering the front parking sensors). So I'm pretty happy overall. I had high expectations and they been met.

One of my favorite things is road tripping. I haven't been out of the Northeast yet but have travelled to every state and enjoyed every minute. Looking forward to driving to FL next year.

There isn't too much I don't like about the car. I feel lucky that I bought it when I did ($53k out the door) as a lot of the complaints from new owners seem to revolve around 'a $65k car shouldn't be doing/have/not have this'. While this was certainly the most expensive car I've ever purchased, it was an upgrade for me in every aspect in terms of features, and then there's the whole EV suite of benefits. It also helped that my car was well built, in terms of gaps etc. The only recurring issue I've had will be fixed when I get a SW update that removes the USS (water running down the hood triggering the front parking sensors). So I'm pretty happy overall. I had high expectations and they been met.

One of my favorite things is road tripping. I haven't been out of the Northeast yet but have travelled to every state and enjoyed every minute. Looking forward to driving to FL next year.

I think the cost increases were good for Tesla's initial bottom line but I think it's also generated a lot of resentment for people who have paid significantly more for the same car. I also paid ~$53k in 2020 and would definitely not pay what they're asking now.

Reactions: Pianewman
Agreed with OP Too. I paid 50 for my 2020 LR Y and it wasn’t perfect but it’s ok. Learn to accept what’s the positive of the car Than the negative. I end up selling for a profit and brought a 2022 MYP for 63. Car was almost perfect to my standard And i still look forward to drive it every day!

one of my close buddy just got his LR Y and liked to complaint about his panel gaps and little isssues we all know about tesla. But he still own the car and put money into it. Also liked the features of the car. I’m sure if he got it for low 50, he won’t be complaining. Lol.

but yes. Not going to gas stations is the best thing! I help me wife pump her Prius prime every 2 months for 5 gallons still sucks. haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoudMusic