Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers launching in NYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I was on the Tesla site today and see that a Supercharger is now listed at the parking garage at West 75th / Amsterdam Ave. The Supercharger map seems to have been updated and is also showing one open on 47th / 3rd Ave (also in a parking garage) and several more coming soon throughout Manhattan.

Does anyone know how these are going to work? Am I going to have to pay the ~$20/hour garage fee to access the charger if I don't stick around longer than the charge takes? Most garages in NYC with chargers, charge an extra fee, up to $10, for EVs; am I going to have to pay for that also? Since NYC garages don't allow you to park your own car, are the attendants doing the charging? What happens if the attendant doesn't unplug the car in a timely fashion; are you still charged the penalty fee?

Destination chargers make a lot of sense for NYC garages, but I am not sure I understand the purpose of a supercharger if I have to pay almost $20/hour to access it.

Very confused about how this will work in NYC.

For Superchargers installed in parking garages in other cities, the parking fees are sometimes waved for Teslas if their stops are brief (less than 30 minutes). I think one has the fees waved during the day when there is a human attendant, but you pay for parking after hours with the automated attendant. Tesla may get a similar arrangement with the parking garage in NYC.

The parking garage won’t charge for for the electricity, but if you have a Model 3, Tesla would charge you. Almost all Model S/X have free supercharging, so they wouldn’t pay for the electricity consumed.

None of us KNOW how they’ll workin NYC. We’ll all just be guessing. It’s between Tesla and the hosting location what the final details for each location are going to be.

None of us KNOW how they’ll workin NYC.
We do as there are a handful of superchargers in NYC garages already up and running. They are all the urban supercharger type and you have to pay for parking. Usually the regular rate, sometimes with an extra fee.

Check out the threads for those superchargers in the mid-atlantic forum.

Personally I think these have no business being on the Tesla nav as superchargers, they should really just be considered destination chargers. They are not the sort of place you are going to be stopping on a road trip.