Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time in NYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time using Valet mode driving and parking in NYC.
I was quite nervous using a parking garage in Manhattan after driving my daughter to The Hospital for Special Surgery on 72nd street after she broke her ankle. I remembered what my father told me many many years ago about tipping. Although parking in Manhattan is expensive I took good care of the parking attendant upon arrival and requested that he park my Y right against the wall where it would not have to be moved. Not only did he park it against the wall he moved another vehicle so mine would be right up by his booth. I entered Valet mode for the first time and the parking attendant advised me to keep the black card in a plastic bag because they have a tendency to slide off the center console and are hard to see because they are black. Watching him move my
Y he obviously has driven many Tesla's.
I left happy.

The other thing to remember is to turn off walk away lock if you are using valet parking, even with the card key inside, the vehicle will lock and if they cannot move your car, they will add a fee to your parking if they have to use dollys to move your car around. Most garages in NYC know about Teslas and how to drive them,

Reactions: howardnj
The other thing to remember is to turn off walk away lock if you are using valet parking, even with the card key inside, the vehicle will lock and if they cannot move your car, they will add a fee to your parking if they have to use dollys to move your car around. Most garages in NYC know about Teslas and how to drive them,
Good point but I watched the parking attendant prior to walking away. He took the card and placed it in a rack where they keep keys/remotes away from his office.

I discovered that quite a number of parking garages in NYC won't take Teslas. Opinion seems to be split as to whether it's because they've experienced too many times where Tesla drivers forgot to leave the key card and then the garage was stuck with a car they could not drive, or whether it's due to all the cameras in a Tesla that can record the activity around the car. I was surprised, as I've never seen a garage exclude a specific brand of car before this.

Reactions: usrbin
I discovered that quite a number of parking garages in NYC won't take Teslas. Opinion seems to be split as to whether it's because they've experienced too many times where Tesla drivers forgot to leave the key card and then the garage was stuck with a car they could not drive, or whether it's due to all the cameras in a Tesla that can record the activity around the car. I was surprised, as I've never seen a garage exclude a specific brand of car before this.
It's much better than it used to be. The attendants usually remind me about the key-fob and to make sure that the doors remain unlocked. The few times that I forgot to leave the doors unlocked, they called me and I unlocked them remotely

It is much better than a year ago, more places are familiar with Teslas and how to deal with them. Most places will just keep your key in the car and the windows down, if you walk away the door locks and the window closes, it is not moving. I did park at one place an they kept the keys in a drawer, amazing when you have 5 keys that all look the same and no idea which card goes with what car.