Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any information on whether there will be a SC on I-80 for folks heading from Sacto and points west up to Truckee and Reno, say around Auburn or Roseville? It's great that Vacaville will be opening for purposes of the route north to Shasta and Oregon. But heading east, with the elevation gain, I think Truckee and North Shore is out of reach.

Any information on whether there will be a SC on I-80 for folks heading from Sacto and points west up to Truckee and Reno, say around Auburn or Roseville? It's great that Vacaville will be opening for purposes of the route north to Shasta and Oregon. But heading east, with the elevation gain, I think Truckee and North Shore is out of reach.

Vacaville to Truckee is only 133 miles.. throw in 70 miles range reduction for +7000' elevation gain and even a 60 kWh model could be able to make it if you really wanted to... & no problem for a 85 kWh

That's right. They're going from Grants Pass to Vacaville, Detroit Lake OR, and Yuma AZ. Grants Pass had power connected today.

The Vacaville location is at the back of a mall. (I have no more detail than that, but there is an outlet mall in Vacaville, which is Tesla's m.o.)

If you look several posts above yours, I have linked to my post in the general supercharging infrastructure thread where I have pictures and conversations with the security guard from that outlet mall (he said they are putting in ev chargers of some sort). So, I think we are on the right track. Not to mention that the outlet mall is owned by the same chain that owns outlet malls at the gilroy location, the Folsom location, a Texas location, and several hundred feet from the Woodburn location.

your mall tip is important though as there are only the outlet mall and random typical strip malls in vacaville. Thus, it really narrows it down. The only larger indoor mall Nearby is in Fairfield. There are several large ev charging spots in the city that would have been other options, but I've pretty much ruled them out now. It's gotta be the mall.

to answer a couple of other questions in this thread, sfoturtle, the guy from the rocklin service center that helped switch out the fuse in my hpwc today mentioned that they were still deciding where to put another one on i80 in sac. He said it was between another mall owned by one of the major mall companies they've been working with (west chase maybe) and I think e other option he mentioned was the service center itself. I take all this with a grain of salt as he had no clue about a vacaville supercharger, which is clearly soon to be built.

i don't know about the mall, but rocklin would be no good because it wouldn't help guys on 5 at all. It really doesn't do much for north/south, just east/west. It basically only alleviates having to cut through town to get to Folsom for those going east/west. he said it is a pain that theyve dealt with when they take cars there, and i know it is cuz I've done it, but it is only like 5 maybe 10 miles. The would clearly be the two closest superchargers.

finally, zapped, Siskiyou pass (wow, I spelled that right on the first try) on i-5 at the border does require chains at times. I've done it before in February.

Last edited:
Vacaville to Truckee is only 133 miles.. throw in 70 miles range reduction for +7000' elevation gain and even a 60 kWh model could be able to make it if you really wanted to... & no problem for a 85 kWh

Thanks for doing the math on this. I agree it's doable in an 85. It is basically a fool's errand in a 60. You'd have to get a full range charge at Vacaville assuming that the battery would have 203 rated miles after this and that is not the case for some 60 owners out there (I'm probably a little short of 203 rated miles right now). Also, getting a full range charge, even at a Supercharger, can take a while. Then you would need to drive very slowly the entire time on I-80 and really manage your energy usage, and then you'd get to Truckee with nothing with basically nothing left on the battery and unless there was a Supercharger at Truckee, then what?

Your math basically confirms that Tesla needs to put in a Supercharger somewhere near Auburn or Roseville if the Tesla highway is intended to include this route for 60 owners as well.

- - - Updated - - -

to answer a couple of other questions in this thread, sfoturtle, the guy from the rocklin service center that helped switch out the fuse in my hpwc today mentioned that they were still deciding where to put another one on i80 in sac. He said it was between another mall owned by one of the major mall companies they've been working with (west chase maybe) and I think e other option he mentioned was the service center itself. I take all this with a grain of salt as he had no clue about a vacaville supercharger, which is clearly soon to be built.

i don't know about the mall, but rocklin would be no good because it wouldn't help guys on 5 at all. It really doesn't do much for north/south, just east/west. It basically only alleviates having to cut through town to get to Folsom for those going east/west. he said it is a pain that theyve dealt with when they take cars there, and i know it is cuz I've done it, but it is only like 5 maybe 10 miles. The would clearly be the two closest superchargers.

Thanks for the info. The purpose of having one on I-80 East of Sacto is exactly for the east/west route and to avoid having to backtrack all the way to Folsom. In traffic, the detour is a bear. The E/W I-80 route is a major route, if not the major route, east to west across the country. It would be odd/silly for Tesla to invest in Superchargers across the Nevada and Utah deserts but not allow cars to get across the Sierras in either direction.

I'm not saying that this is an urgent issue that needs to be addressed today. Clearly the N/S I-5 route is much higher priority and looking great. But looking at the Tesla Supercharger map way into the future, it appears no one has addressed this.

Last edited:
My guess is that there will be a TM press release when the last of the 2 new NorCal and 2 new Oregon SCs is open, announcing the Mexico to Canada SC route. They might keep these SCs low key until then.

Checked my MS last night and the Corning site was already listed in my Supercharger directory (as was Burlington, NC).

Tesla took the web site down last night and clearly messed with the Supercharger page. The map is now broken for me... anyone else?

Thanks for doing the math on this. I agree it's doable in an 85. It is basically a fool's errand in a 60. You'd have to get a full range charge at Vacaville assuming that the battery would have 203 rated miles after this and that is not the case for some 60 owners out there (I'm probably a little short of 203 rated miles right now). Also, getting a full range charge, even at a Supercharger, can take a while. Then you would need to drive very slowly the entire time on I-80 and really manage your energy usage, and then you'd get to Truckee with nothing with basically nothing left on the battery and unless there was a Supercharger at Truckee, then what?

Your math basically confirms that Tesla needs to put in a Supercharger somewhere near Auburn or Roseville if the Tesla highway is intended to include this route for 60 owners as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. The purpose of having one on I-80 East of Sacto is exactly for the east/west route and to avoid having to backtrack all the way to Folsom. In traffic, the detour is a bear. The E/W I-80 route is a major route, if not the major route, east to west across the country. It would be odd/silly for Tesla to invest in Superchargers across the Nevada and Utah deserts but not allow cars to get across the Sierras in either direction.

I'm not saying that this is an urgent issue that needs to be addressed today. Clearly the N/S I-5 route is much higher priority and looking great. But looking at the Tesla Supercharger map way into the future, it appears no one has addressed this.

If anything, maybe the Rocklin Tesla service center SC or HPWCs could help you out in the meantime... Auburn also has 70A ClipperCreek stations for those with twin chargers.

SFOTurtle said:
Clearly the N/S I-5 route is much higher priority and looking great. But looking at the Tesla Supercharger map way into the future, it appears no one has addressed this.
Yeah, what's up with that? Even pushing the slider out to 2015 doesn't have anything between Folsom and Reno. That's going to be a problem.

Yeah, what's up with that? Even pushing the slider out to 2015 doesn't have anything between Folsom and Reno. That's going to be a problem.

I predict Tesla will figure this out sooner or later. I just would think that there are a number of people who want to go to the north shore, and Vacaville isn't the answer even for 85s because by the time you get from Truckee to the lake, you'd be lucky to have much charge left. And with 60s there's no chance unless you backtrack to Folsom. I know it sounds petty, but this was enough to turn off a colleague who owns a second home near Northstar.

- - - Updated - - -

If anything, maybe the Rocklin Tesla service center SC or HPWCs could help you out in the meantime... Auburn also has 70A ClipperCreek stations for those with twin chargers.

Agree, thanks. It's not ideal for North Shore, but if the traffic is slow enough, then using one of the HPWCs or ClipperCreek stations along I-80 is probably faster than detouring over to Folsom and back.

Here's Mt Shasta. Sorry for the horrible photo but it was the middle of the night. It looks finished but it's not yet connected. Also, you'll notice that the parking signs are on the wrong side of the charging stations - they assume that our charging ports are on the right, but they're on the left.

IMG_20131019_004142.jpg