Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NorCal Supercharger locations?

I stopped in Petaluma today and took some photos. There were workers there erecting the wall around the charging cabinets. I don't understand the layout of the charging pedestals, it's different from any other SC I've seen.
212a0d3a8be3a8ab59dd1f459de7c9cd.jpg

Last edited:
I would not think Tesla would put a SC in Napa, to close to Petaluma. What they need is something further north on the 101 route so you do not need to do highway 5 going north.

What Tesla has done in Europe proves that proximity to another SpC location is not a deciding factor. There are so many areas in Europe where the dots are nearly right on top of each other that it's very difficult to count by looking at a map - and I'm not just talking about cities.

What Tesla has done in Europe proves that proximity to another SpC location is not a deciding factor. There are so many areas in Europe where the dots are nearly right on top of each other that it's very difficult to count by looking at a map - and I'm not just talking about cities.
Well I'm not sure what there criteria is, but if you think logically you would want them around every 150 miles and on a route that gets you to places people in the area go. If you go to Tahoe you are set with Vacaville, Folsum and Roseville and Truckee. If you go up highway 5 you are all set, but if you want to go north to Mendocino and the 101 corridor you would need something north of Petaluma around 150 miles. Right now you could not drive north on the California coast.

While the minimum reasonable distance between Superchargers is about 133 miles for quick charging, fast driving, bad weather, and being doable for 60's, Tesla has shown that for convenience and capacity, they will often put Superchargers closer. Just look at what is happening in the LA basin as a current example.

Wait a few months to see if my rumors are credible...Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

Looks like they're laid out on two different aisles of a parking lot, sharing a trench so you would park back-to-back across rows...

The picture is not taken from an angle where you can actually tell, but the pedestals may be far enough apart that it may be two aisles of head-in parking, cars face to face.

LOL... why is it so important to figure this right now..:biggrin: