Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wellington, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

corbin630

Herriman, UT | 2023 Model Y Long Range
Mar 19, 2023
Herriman, Utah
Anthony Dunster in the Facebook group found a new Supercharger that isn't on any Tesla maps.

2195 E Main St, Wellington, UT 84542

1000020098.jpg

@Chuq @Big Earl @corywright can we get this added to supercharge.info?

Wellington, UT

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Miller's Travel Centers
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-6, US-191
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-6

To: Green River, UT (v2) - 56.3 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Grand Junction, CO (v2) - 153.1 miles

US-191

To: Price, UT (v2) - 9.7 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Vernal, UT - 118.7 miles

US-6/US-191 v3.

At a Miller's Travel Center gas station, same as Farr West, UT

Interesting location as it is only about 7 miles from the existing V2 in Price.
I suspect that part of the strategy moving forward is to replace all V2 with V4. It essentially doubles the chargers by getting rid of power sharing and opens up V2 chargers to non-Tesla vehicles to generate more revenue from the same site lease. The problem is that you can't take some of these V2 stations down or you ruin road trips, so they will first install V3 and V4 along the same routes in different cities to maintain road trip coverage while they rip out the V2 chargers.

I suspect that part of the strategy moving forward is to replace all V2 with V4. It essentially doubles the chargers by getting rid of power sharing and opens up V2 chargers to non-Tesla vehicles to generate more revenue from the same site lease. The problem is that you can't take some of these V2 stations down or you ruin road trips, so they will first install V3 and V4 along the same routes in different cities to maintain road trip coverage while they rip out the V2 chargers.
Mild disagree here. I don't think you will see them "rip out V2" at all. They will leave them in place until the leases expire, or until the cost to maintain them makes it just not worth it. If the EV revolution really is coming, V2's might be the last place a Tesla owner can get a guaranteed charge without waiting for the 2027 Aryia to move from a V4 spot.

Mild disagree here. I don't think you will see them "rip out V2" at all. They will leave them in place until the leases expire, or until the cost to maintain them makes it just not worth it. If the EV revolution really is coming, V2's might be the last place a Tesla owner can get a guaranteed charge without waiting for the 2027 Aryia to move from a V4 spot.
But those V2 sites charge significantly slower than V3 and V4 and they are cut off from the revenue of opening up to other cars. V2 has the lowest utilization because of the lower speeds, power sharing that requires spacing out cars, and only Tesla access. Swapping V2 with V4 under the same lease is a big win financially for Tesla.

But those V2 sites charge significantly slower than V3 and V4 and they are cut off from the revenue of opening up to other cars. V2 has the lowest utilization because of the lower speeds, power sharing that requires spacing out cars, and only Tesla access. Swapping V2 with V4 under the same lease is a big win financially for Tesla.
As someone with an older Model X, V2's are the bees knees. There's hundreds of thousands of cars out there that can't enjoy V3+. You guys can wait it out at the shiny new V4 charger that's has a double parked Silverado EV hogging spots. I'll take the slower V2 because it's available and will never have to wait for a non-Tesla to move for me to use them.

As someone with an older Model X, V2's are the bees knees. There's hundreds of thousands of cars out there that can't enjoy V3+. You guys can wait it out at the shiny new V4 charger that's has a double parked Silverado EV hogging spots. I'll take the slower V2 because it's available and will never have to wait for a non-Tesla to move for me to use them.
I don't understand the hostility towards non-Tesla drivers. The two spot problem doesn't really exist at V4 superchargers since the cables are longer and centered on the parking spot. So what if there's other brands charging their cars? They pay more for the privilege than we do (about 10 cents per kWh more) and take up the same number of spaces at a V4. The V2s with their bad power sharing are awful because an 8 stall site is just 4 full power stalls. Also, doesn't you older Model X at least get 180 kW to 200 kW peak? The V2 superchargers at either 120 kW or 150 kW are still under what your car can accept and it's even worse when someone is parked next to you dropping the power to 60 kW to 75 kW.

My X peaks around 150kW. I once saw 176kW for about 20 seconds at a brand new V3 install, but in general older S/X can't enjoy the fast charging you seem to enjoy so much.

That said, I'll take my free supercharging over faster charge speeds any day. I don't road trip as much anymore.

Reactions: electrons4u
The difference in charging from a V2 to V3 is roughly 5 minutes from 10-80% because the 250 kWh Peak charging rate only lasts 3 minutes IF not sharing on the V2 (145KW) unit. Even the V3's Load share between the 4 Pedestals if in full use.

The difference in charging from a V2 to V3 is roughly 5 minutes from 10-80% because the 250 kWh Peak charging rate only lasts 3 minutes IF not sharing on the V2 (145KW) unit. Even the V3's Load share between the 4 Pedestals if in full use.
V3 de-rating due to load sharing is pretty uncommon, but V2 de-rating due to load sharing and too hot of a cable is pretty common. No need for the wet rag on the handle trick with liquid-cooled V3 or V4 cables. I don't see a good argument against upgrading V2 to V4 since it would improve the number of full power stalls that can be occupied at once and car throughout.

Reactions: camthehombre