Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Upland, CA (under construction Jan 2024, 64 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just realized I forgot to post an update here when I visited last week lol. Didn't notice anything too different and despite it being 5am there were workers around so I didn't want to reach my phone over the fence to take any pictures. Looks like they've probably just been doing more digging, all of the equipment is still in the same place.

Update- lots of site work complete with most bases and conduit work completed.
IMG_0235.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    589.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0239.jpeg
    IMG_0239.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 19
Oh nice! I really don't understand why they're doing the rollout like this. Seems like it will be overly confusing for inexperienced users once they do start rolling out V4 cabinets unless they plan on simultaneously upgrading all V3s with V4 stalls once they finally start the rollout.

Oh nice! I really don't understand why they're doing the rollout like this. Seems like it will be overly confusing for inexperienced users once they do start rolling out V4 cabinets unless they plan on simultaneously upgrading all V3s with V4 stalls once they finally start the rollout.
The specs of the cabinet show DC bus voltage of 800-1000v as well as all of the wiring to/from the stalls. Speculation: potentially they can upgrade the software and activate v4 on these.

Last edited by a moderator:
V4 posts are being rolled out because they meet all the government requirements of having CCS and a payment screen.
The specs of the cabinet show DC bus voltage of 800-1000v as well as all of the wiring to/from the stalls. Speculation: potentially they can upgrade the software and activate v4 on these.
Cabinets/switchgear will need the proper converters from 480VAC to 800VDC. That will not be a software fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Johnny Vector
V4 posts are being rolled out because they meet all the government requirements of having CCS and a payment screen.

Cabinets/switchgear will need the proper converters from 480VAC to 800VDC. That will not be a software fix.
The documents provided show the V3.5 cabinet is already capable of this. The issue is they are de-rating the post to 500v dc max, yet installing conductors to support 1000vdc.

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpeg
    IMG_0319.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 13
Because those sites don’t have government funding therefore they don’t need those features. Just because they are there to simplify manufacturing doesn’t mean they need to be in use.
Surely it would still make sense for Tesla to make money though? My understanding is since they charge non-Tesla users a significant premium there's a nice profit margin for them compared to normal users.

Like I said, just confuses me. I'm sure they have a reason for doing things this way just feel like they're could've been a better way to go about it. It feels ripe for confusion for non-enthusiast users.

Surely it would still make sense for Tesla to make money though? My understanding is since they charge non-Tesla users a significant premium there's a nice profit margin for them compared to normal users.

Like I said, just confuses me. I'm sure they have a reason for doing things this way just feel like they're could've been a better way to go about it. It feels ripe for confusion for non-enthusiast users.
They can charge non Tesla users who are partners with Tesla/nacs those fees through the app. They don’t need to have card readers to make money from non Tesla users. There are very few manufactures who haven’t signed on to NACS. Look at all the V3 sites open to non Tesla users, none of those have screens or card readers.

They can charge non Tesla users who are partners with Tesla/nacs those fees through the app. They don’t need to have card readers to make money from non Tesla users. There are very few manufactures who haven’t signed on to NACS. Look at all the V3 sites open to non Tesla users, none of those have screens or card readers.
Right but the magic docks aren't functional either.